• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching Thoughts.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I have looked it over and these are my thoughts.

1. Dunleavy to Houston.

Why? Why not? I think its down to Van Gundy, Carlisle, and Dunleavy. Of the three, I think Van Gundy is the better choice for them but i don't think he wants to coach at all right now. I think he stays in the booth. Something tells me that Carlisle really wants a EC team (Later).

2. Cheeks to Philly.

Portland will get played. Philly takes Cheeks who is a very good fit. He keeps most of LBs staff.

3. Oneil to Toronto.

Another good fit. Just what they want.

4. Floyd to N.O.

I believe that there's a stinch in N.O. No money, bad management. Floyd is familiar with such surroundings.

OK...

SO who goes to PTL? I dunno

Who goes to LAC? I dunno

Who goes to Washington? I dunno.

Who goes to Atlanta? I dunno... BUT.

Atlanta has a few choices.

1. Stotts.

2. Fratello

3. Carlisle

4. Nellie??

Stotts just might keep his job because of the position of the Hawks Ownership? It might be too late to bring in a new name.

Fratello seems like he wants the ATL job. It's familiar. Good talent. Chance to teach. I think it's a far better situation than Cleveland was for him.

Carlisle.... I think he would take the Atlanta Job to be in the EC.. And more importantly, the Central. I think Carlisle now has something to prove. Atlanta is a better situation than N.O. becuase of Theo? Carlisle is definitely defensive minded and he'd probably like Theo as the Poor man's Ben Wallace. I think he'd also be a good fit if we kept Knight. They both came out of Walsh's Indy. Carlisle could make this a team like Indy.. Where he had Smits, Davis, Croshere, Reggie, and Best.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he came if he pushed for us to get Best FAcy.

Nellie.... What's going on with Cuban? Does he want Nellie or not? If he doesn't resign Nellie... If he gets Pat Riley like has been suggested, I think we'd take Nellie as GM/Coach. Nellie knows how to surround himself. He'd have a roster of good assistants and many scouts... So that we can get the next Dirk.

If Stotts remains coach what for another unsure team

as Stotts doesn't even have a coaching style.He's laid

back and can't draw respect.

If Dunleavy takes the hjob we'll see the mind 90's Bucks

all over again

IF Rick takes the job say bye bye to JT and probably

benching of Dog.

If Fratello takes the job we have the best chance for

improvement.

• Admin

yesterday. Saying that Houston was interested in him. But it wasn't a sure thing and that if he didn't go there he would most certainly end up in Atlanta. As he is good friends iwth Mcdavid.

Personally I wouldn't mind having him here at all. He's a good coach with a winning record and one who adapts to his players.

• Premium Member

I believe that the deal will take too long to get anybody into place... Unless Knight grows some balls and hires somebody. If he does, I can't see him not going with Carlisle. Carlisle basically ran the bird coached Indy teams and the Pistons of the past 2 years. I think Knight understands that and sees more promise in Carlisle than in Stotts who has not really put fourth a coaching style (similar to Karl). It's said that Stotts was a good defensive coach, however, I think his track record is no match for Van Gundy's or Carlisle's. The best thing that Stott's have going for him is that he helped the Hawks win 21-19 in it's last 40. However, that's not impressive when you consider that Kruger did the same thing or better. It's a part of the Hawks schedule Cycle.

I think JoE Dumars made some aggressive moves to win the East this past weekend, the Hawks had better do the same.

• Admin

Is this guy sitting on top of the world or what??? Makes it to the eastern finals, gets the #2 pick and then signs one of the best coaches in the game? fuhgetabouthit!

Detroit jumped on the map as my team in the east for next season, after the hawks of course. But when the Hawks are out of the picture, I'm pulling for Detroit.

btw, Who won executive of the year this season?

• Premium Member

Dumars was the executive of the year. However, a good claim could have been made for Poppivich (coach of the year), and Gabrielle (always in the running).

I think Dumars made some sweet moves. One being White for a Pick from Denver. Not much was said about that particular move, but it will prove to be a good one if things continue.

There's also, picking Prince and The Stack trade. Plus getting Detroit in position this season to go after FAs! So the run is not over.

However, I think 2001 needs to be revisited.

I don't know who won the Executive of the year in 2001, but Gary St. Jean needs to be upped.

He drafted Richardson, Murphy in the first... Then drafted Arenas in the second. That's about the strongest draft I have ever seen come to fruition in only 2 years. IN one draft, he set his team's history.

"2. Cheeks to Philly.

Portland will get played. Philly takes Cheeks who is a very good fit. He keeps most of LBs staff."

If Cheeks goes to Philly it will most assuredly not be because Portland got played. They are still insisting that they have not given cheeks permission to speak with Philly and it was reported today that the NY Times is retracting a story reporting the contrary.

Which probably means that behind the scenes they are discussing compensation from Philly for Cheeks if they let him go.

Which probably means that they are one of the 2-3 teams speaking to Carlisle. If they come to terms with a handshake agreement with Carlisle then they will clear Cheeks to go to Philly.

They get Carlisle (who was an assistant here from 94-97 under carlesimo) and compensation for Cheeks.

Well in all fairness Dumars did draft White with a lottery pick so it is a bit of a wash. However, I do agree that he is one of the best GM's out there particularly in picking up spare parts cheaply (Uncle Cliffy, Williamson, Barry).

St. Jean has bungled more than he has gotten right in Oakland. I remember reading somewhere that he screwed up a relatively easy option year clause for Arenas and he wouldn't even be in the pickle with him now if not for that.

He is apparently a very surly person who barks at a lot of people, and they say that the reason he didn't get the Indiana head coaching job is because this surliness left a bad impression on Donnie Walsh and the rest of the Pacers' management.

Now, I don't know if Billy Knight is one of the guys who was against Carlisle getting the job or not, but it is something to think about.

Carlisle apparently wants a job where he can run the show.

I think the top candidates for the Hawks job right now are Mike Dunleavy and Terry Stotts, but I think Stotts will ultimately keep the job. He should keep it. He deserves the chance.

I think Dunleavy will get the Houston job, and I think Van Gundy will hold out on getting a job this year because he really doesn't want to leave the northest area. I think Van Gundy will by eyeing the New Jersey job, and given that there is a lot of speculation that Phil Jackson will only coach for one more year and Byron Scott will become the coach of the Lakers afterwards, Van Gundy may get the New Jersey job.

I think Fratello will take the Clippers job if Sterling will open up the pocket book a bit.

Ultimately, I see it falling out like this:

Houston - Mike Dunleavy

Portland - Rick Carlisle

Philadelphia - Mo Cheeks

Toronto - Kevin O'Neil

Washington - Eddie Jordan

Los Angeles - Mike Fratello

Cleveland - Paul Silas

Detroit - Larry Brown

Atlanta - Terry Stotts

I think the top candidates for the Hawks job right now are Mike Dunleavy and Terry Stotts, but I think Stotts will ultimately keep the job. He should keep it. He deserves the chance."

Explain to me why a coach with no style deserves a

shot.What did he do to earn another chance?Nothing.

The hawks lost to Memphis by 30 something points

and got blown out twice by Miami.

Stotts deserves nothing.It'd be like this franchise to

keep his sorry butt.They've always embraced losers

for years.

Just my 2 cents...

First of all i wish this [censored] sale would be completed. My question is. Why does is this taking up to 2 months?? Secondly, I think that keeping Billy Knight as permanent GM is not a bad idea. He made some nice moves w/ Vancouver/Memphis and Indiana before that. On the coaching end. I want something to happen. [censored] if we're keeping Stotts okay, but we can't sit in limbo while other teams are making moves. I understand that nothing can really be done until the sale is final, but does that prevent us from some behind the scenes negotiating? Anyway, my coaching wish list is...

1.Rick Carlisle (nuff said...he turned around Detroit w/ limited talent and was a top assistant with Indiana.)

2.Mike Fratello (now that would be interesting, but a great move. I dont know if he'll come back this year tho.)

3.Terry Stotts(if neither of these guys are available, I'd rather just stand pat although I know we can do better. The players say they want him back...we'll see)

4.Dunleavy (I really hope the rumor of him coming here is just that..a rumor. I've never really liked him as a coach. Yes he took the LA to the finals, but look what he inherited. Inbetween that and those years in Portland, he [censored] near fizzled out in Milwaukee)

Next, I'd like to get some energetic personalities here. Pat Croce is a great idea. He'll definitely do things to market this team and make the game day experience better. I'd also involve 'Nique in some capacity.

Lastly, I hear a lot of people saying trade Dawg, trade Reef...thats nice but lets not make a trade to say we made a trade. Lets get value or at least future compensation. You gotta think about it. The last 4 years there has been some type of major change in our offseason to effect chemistry...

1999-Trading Smitty for Rider

2000-New coach in Kruger

2001-Trading for Reef

2002-Trading for Dawg

2003-?

Just my 2 cents...I'll holla

3.Terry Stotts(if neither of these guys are available, I'd rather just stand pat although I know we can do better. The players say they want him back...we'll see) "

Of course they want him back...He will not push them

and Dog and Shareef can continue to be lazy and not

work hard to improve there games(When was the last

time either added something new to they're game?)

Jt will continue to not be a PG and Dog will tank it on

defense as always becaus Stotts will let him do what

ever he wants.

Hotlanta's right, these guys, especially Dog and Reef, have never and will never play defense for Stotts. Considering the cap situation and the low value of basically every player on the roster, the Hawks only real hope for marked improvement is a coaching change. Stotts is a nice guy, but in this league nice guys finish DFL.