• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

MARGIN OF ERROR

scottt

As I look at the Hawks as compared to some of the teams with whom we are competing for a playoff spot, I am encouraged. It seems like Cle lives and dies with Lebron. NJ lives and dies with JKidd. Toronto cannot succeed w/o Bosh. The hawks, however, seem to have a more diverse set of weapons. JJ can stink and we can still win. We seem to have a greater margin of error. That is especially true since Marvin is becomming a MAN before our very eyes. Josh lights it up from time to time. AJ and Al seem to provide some real stability. Just my random musings. Thanx for listening.

Quote:

Actually we have one as well

It's called Josh Smith

When he plays smart we win more times than we lose.

When he goes back to his old tricks we lose more than we win

The team will be on another level if he doesn't try to score himself and focus on rebounding and defense... he should try to get his teammates involved. An assist is as good as a made basket.

Quote:

The team will be on another level if he doesn't try to score himself and focus on rebounding and defense... he should try to get his teammates involved. An assist is as good as a made basket.

I don't have a problem with Smoove taking shots. I like that new spin move in the post he's developed.

My problem is the settling for jumpers. But he's improved on this a whole lot recently. Let's hope he keeps it up

Quote:

As I look at the Hawks as compared to some of the teams with whom we are competing for a playoff spot, I am encouraged. It seems like Cle lives and dies with Lebron. NJ lives and dies with JKidd. Toronto cannot succeed w/o Bosh. The hawks, however, seem to have a more diverse set of weapons. JJ can stink and we can still win. We seem to have a greater margin of error. That is especially true since Marvin is becomming a MAN before our very eyes. Josh lights it up from time to time. AJ and Al seem to provide some real stability. Just my random musings. Thanx for listening.

Actually, we live and die with JJ as well. When you look at our games, we usually get a victory when JJ accounts for 32 or more Hawks points ( combination of actual points and points off of assists ). So even when JJ had those 7 - 19 FG nights for 18 points, if he also got 5 - 7 assists, we were usually in the game with a chance to win.

Having said that, I think our defense on most nights, separates us from those teams you mentioned. So you're right. We do have a greater margin of error.

But like those other teams, we can't afford to lose JJ for about a week or two.

Quote:

But like those other teams, we can't afford to lose JJ for about a week or two.

I'll feel a lot better about possible losing JJ for a week or two if Marvin continues his positive progression scoring-wise, and AJ can play even 80% of who he's been lately. I think the Miami game showed we can be very competitive if Smoove isn't contributing as much as he normally does. But if we can put it all together and get Smoove's defensive and rebounding contribution (and a little low post scoring), the same from Horford, some nice shooting and a little more aggression from Marvin, JJ scoring when need-be but also sharing the ball and not forcing shots, and AJ making the whole thing work as the floor general, these guys can take just about anybody.

For some reason, it seems like the one player whose play is most reflective of the team's success overall is Josh Smith. The variance in his numbers in wins and in losses is greater than any other player on the team. It seems like when Smith has a stinker of a game, the Hawks tend to lose or have a more difficult time winning.

Quote:

For some reason, it seems like the one player whose play is most reflective of the team's success overall is Josh Smith. The variance in his numbers in wins and in losses is greater than any other player on the team. It seems like when Smith has a stinker of a game, the Hawks tend to lose or have a more difficult time winning.

Yeah I wish I saved the stats they showed in a game a week ago.

His field goal percentage and PPG total in wins and losses are night and day.