• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Watch for the falling Jarvis Hayes.

KB21

His stock seems to be hurt more by the influx of European players than anything he does himself.

There's a better than average chance that Jarvis Hayes will be on the board when the Hawks pick.

He's right around 6-7, 220 lbs or so, so he has the size to play shooting guard and small forward. His lack of ball handling skills will put him at the three position in the NBA, IMO.

The positives he brings to the table are obvious. He's very athletic, can score, and can shoot. He isn't a bad defender either. He can play in the open floor and finish on the break.

His negatives are that he isn't that good of a ball handler, and he's really not a multi-talent player who can do many things on the court.

There are some other things about him. He's from Douglas High School in Atlanta, grew up a Hawks fan, and wants to be an Atlanta Hawk.

If you want a player to compare him to, I think Richard Jefferson is the best comparison. Hayes has that kind of athleticism.

If he's there at 21, I think the Hawks will take him. I think the Hawks would then do the Glenn Robinson for Glenn Rice deal and put Jarvis at the small forward position.

In the second round, I think the Hawks will continue to try and make their wing positions more athletic. They will look at Josh Howard, Dahntay Jones, and Ronald Dupree with that pick. Dupree has already worked out for the Hawks, and I bet you will see the Hawks bring in Howard, Jones, and Hayes all at once to get a good look at them.

As far as point guard goes, I think the Hawks realize that a rookie point guard isn't going to help them much. They can't and won't draft a player just to fit next to Jason Terry, because his future with the team is definitely up in the air. They also drafted Dan Dickau last year and will continuing developing him to see if he can eventually handle the spot.

I think his stock is dropping, however I see no way he gets to 21. If he drops to 18 or 19, the only way we would get him IMO is to trade up. While I am not exactly certain the needs of the teams that pick right before us I am almost certain that any team would look at Jarvis Hayes as a steal that late in the first round. I think he would be great for us, but there are other needs of this team as that other plays can fill without having to trade up. I think Boris Diaw would be an ideal fit for us. Also what really do we have to offer to move up a few spots?

Well, New Orleans and Utah are two teams that pick above us that I could see taking Jarvis. The thing is, both of those teams have a need at the power forward spot. Utah has no one behind Karl Malone, and Malone is leaving as a free agent.

All New Orleans has is Jerome Moiso behind PJ Brown, and Brown is a free agent.

Do either of these teams take Jarvis Hayes over a power forward like Sofoklis Schortsianitis or Nick Collison? There has been some talk that Utah really likes Brian Cook as well. I think the Jazz are looking at power forwards more than shooting guards or small forwards.

Both teams can use a player like Jarvis Hayes though. Deshawn Stevenson will never live up to his high school hype in Utah, so the Jazz need a potential replacement for him in the long term. New Orleans could really use an upgrade and better size over David Wesley at the shooting guard spot, and they know Jamal Mashburn will never stay completely healthy. So, it would make sense for them to take a combo two/three guy like Jarvis Hayes.

So, they could go either way. It just depends on who these teams have rated higher, Hayes or a power forward like Collison/Cook/Schortsianitis?

If he gets past Utah, Boston won't take him. I think he would fall to Atlanta then.

What if the Hawks traded Nazr Mohammed and a future 2 rounder for the 18th or 19th postion if Hayes falls that low? Mohammed is stil only 25years old so he is still young,and despite this season he has proven to be fairly durable. BTW it is good to be back on the board, I don't have to give my "free" time up anymore.

wait, there's a word I'm looking for here...NO. Hayes doesn't bring enough to the table, esp. right now with this team (which is unlikely to change much over the summer due to the ownership problems) to trade our only valuable trade bait (in the chance that we do do something during the season/at the deadline).

Everyone keeps talking about the Jazz taking him...but with their having to bring in a new pg, they're not oging to take Hayes...he's a three not a two, and doesn't have the handles to help in the backcourt. Plus, Harpring played stellar this year (is he sitll under contract there?). They don't need him at the three iether - they've got their current franchise three in place with Kirilenko. I think they'll take a pf/c (perhaps Collison if he's there) to learn under Malone, who, quite honestly, isnt' going anywhere...the teams he talks about oging to (true contenders) won't allow him to get the ball enough for him to get the scoring record...and with championships NEVER a sure thing (see SA this year), I don't think he'll risk his only true chnace at immortality to go somewhere we'll he'll be less important, won't be the man, and for less money. The only possible exception that I can see is the TWolves...he might, might, get enough looks there and they'd have a very strong team (maybe a snt with Brandon)? That actually sounds pretty resonable. But seriously folks, that's about it for his "options."...(Seattle would be a great fit for him, but the team's just not far enough along right now for him to go there).

Hayes may very well be available at our pick.

Jarvis is a much better shooter than RJ,they are even in athleticism though.Why wouldn't we draft Hayes Weasledom??? He gives us the athleticism & defense we need at the 3. He's not a "good" passer,but he can still hit the open man{unlike Dog} we can always draft a PF in the second rnd. and sign a wingman thr. FAcy. I like the Nazr/for 18,19 pick trade though.

~Peace

why wouldn't we draft him? While I realize this is somewhat skewed logic, it is pragmatic. The likelihood that we're going to trade any of our players (esp. GRob) this offseason is highly unlikely. Therefore, drafting at that position in the first round, a team needs to take taleneted players...but also players that fill current needs.

I like Hayes, but I don't think we'd be passing on a potential star, aka Dominique. I think he'll be a good player, but, with the team assembled as is, he'd simply be another piece that doesn't fit. His skill set doesn't benefit us in any way shape or form, nor would he get significant minutes (he's simply not a two, our only current "opening"). We need a combo guard/pg, depending on which side of the JT-as-pg issue you sit.

The L is in dire need of more prototypical sf's...not swingmen. People like more like Robinson (I can't believe I said that). If he's that ready, he won't get any pt, and therefore really serve us very little good.

I'm not saying trade G-Rob{unless we can get something good for him} Matter of fact,he'd probably be best suited off the bench as our 6th man. He'd get to take all the shots{which is what he wants} but he probably wouldn't do it unless we guarteed if he did that we'd win a championship. The fact is,that their aren't many "prototipical" SFs in the league {maybe D-League} but why pass on a guy who could be a star,our future starting SF???? He may not be Melo, but he could be as good {if not better} than most of the guys who'll go before him {as much potential as there is this yr., we all know that most of the "hyped" players are gonna flop & SOME of the players who go undrafted could be potential stars.}

~Peace

Prototypical sf's are truly hard to come by. Off the top of my head, Marion's got the best combination of the "true" definition of the position with the new wave athleticism that's accompanying most "swingmen." Which is such a misnomer it's not even funny...it typically means am incredibly athletic guy with somewhat suspect range and handles but tremendous finishing ability...most should be sg...but they lack the fundamentals.

I think we'd be CRAZY not to take him. At #21, I can't imagine there will be a better talent on the board than Hayes and at #21, I think you draft for talent, not for need. Even if he backs up Dog at SF for a couple of years, so what? We get a guy who is FAR more talented than Ira signed for probably LESS than we could resign Ira for. I remember when Chicago (and others) passed on Michael Finley because they already had Jordan and Pippen to take Jason Caffey instead. I'll bet they would like to have a do over on that one. Who knows what this team will look like in 2 years when Reef, Theo, Dog, Hendu and CC all become FAs?

In addition, I'm not so sure Jarvis can't make the transition to NBA shooting guard. Maybe not next year but in a few years, he probably can. He's certainly got the shooting part of it covered and he's certainly got enough athleticism to play SG (I don't think he quite has Richard Jefferson's hops though). I'm sure his ballhandling needs work but Finley wasn't a great ballhandler in college either. Neither was Q. Richardson.