• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The TRUTH about the offseason...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't touch Dally's contract with a ten foot pole.

AtlETOH: I know you are a man of few words, but I'm with you on this one. Dally would make signing our other guys a nightmare.

I think Signing Dally will make signing those other guys easier....

Signing Dally puts us in a better opp to win.

There's a misconception about this offseason.

Some of you believe that there's no way we can resign Chillz and Smoove.

That's just a lie.

We can go over the cap to resign our FAs especially if we're matching their free agent sheets.

There is no HARD cap in the NBA.

No. It's just the opposite. We can go over the cap to sign our own and we prolly will.

If we got Dalembert, here's what should happen. We get a legit player in the post.

About Marvin and Horf resigning... We have time for that. Speedy's retiring and JJ's contract will be up right on time for all of that.

Diesel, what about our ownership

Our ownership is not stupid enough to let Smoove get away and I think they are smart enough to pay Chillz. It's not my money, I realize this, but that's why Dally makes it easier to resign these guys. IF we are winning, if we get into the playoffs, if we make noise, our owners get to experience something very new... TV Contracts. Already with JJ, Smoove and a candidate for ROY, we will get 1 or 2 National games next year. If we make a strong run at the playoffs, with the falling off of perinneal powers like Indy, Cleveland, and Miami... you just might see us... on TV... 10 times nationally. Revenue sharing is great for contract renegotiations...

Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade Shelden for a shooter/expiring contract.

I have already mentioned Shelden for Dooling. However, there are other trades too.

If not Shelden, then Zaza for an expiring deal.

Zaza for Oberto wouldn't be surprising.

While you are correct based on NBA rules, do you REALLY think that Belkin will allow the Hawks to go over the soft cap? As soon as the first rumor came out that we were signing Speedy, Belkin filed an injunction. Do you REALLY think that we can trade for Daly (or any other player making more than about $3M) without it immeidately going to court?

If there are talks about an out-of-court settlement, then there is no need to impact those talks by attempting to make a deal for a big time player. (I don't know that there are talks going on, I'm hopeful that the recent silence on the issue is a product of productive talks).

• Premium Member

Quote:

While you are correct based on NBA rules, do you REALLY think that Belkin will allow the Hawks to go over the soft cap? As soon as the first rumor came out that we were signing Speedy, Belkin filed an injunction. Do you REALLY think that we can trade for Daly (or any other player making more than about $3M) without it immeidately going to court?

If there are talks about an out-of-court settlement, then there is no need to impact those talks by attempting to make a deal for a big time player. (I don't know that there are talks going on, I'm hopeful that the recent silence on the issue is a product of productive talks).

If there are talks about an out of court settlement, then it really shouldn't be effected by a move for Dally. Come on people. Belkin hadn't paid one penny in salary or payments to reduce the bet since the split. He's not effected at all. The only thing he's concerned about is if he were going to win the case. It doesn't look like he's going to win the case. He's going to be forced to take a buy out more than likely. So weather or not ASG signs Dally shouldn't matter.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

If there are talks about an out of court settlement, then it really shouldn't be effected by a move for Dally. Come on people. Belkin hadn't paid one penny in salary or payments to reduce the bet since the split. He's not effected at all. The only thing he's concerned about is if he were going to win the case. It doesn't look like he's going to win the case. He's going to be forced to take a buy out more than likely. So weather or not ASG signs Dally shouldn't matter.

There is a very good reason for Belkin to seek an injunction to prohibit the Hawks from making moves to add salary. It makes life more difficult for the ASG and gives them more incentive to buy him off and get him out of the picture.

Arguably, Belkin might agree to any deal that potentially makes the team better because it would raise the value of the team thus making his share of the buyout more profitable. Everyone ridicules the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox for having the two highest payrolls in all of baseball, but they are also two of the most profitable franchises in professional sports. Why? Because they are relevant. Penny pinching teams might have a decent bottom line, but in business, you have to spend money to CONSISTENTLY make money. Yeah, you might make some good money on a cheap investment from time to time, but to be a perinnial money-making business, you have to invest capital. Belkin is a shrewd, although crooked businessman. He knows this. He might not have thought the Joe Johnson or Speedy Claxton aquisitions were profitable for the franchises. We can all agree that in at least one of those cases he was correct, while the other is debated here and elsewhere all day and night depending on how well Joe is playing. We can never assume Belkin wouldn't approve of something and attempt to contest it simply because it might cause the team to spend money. If the Laker offered us Kobe for expiring contracts and filler, but re-signing Smoove would put us over the cap once we did, do you honestly think Belkin wouldn't sign off on that deal? Heck no, he'd realize how much more valuable the franchise would be because of Kobe. I don't think Dalembert is the type of impact player that would do that, but we can't always discount what he feels would improve the team. I'm certainly not a Belkin sympathizer by any means, but we can only make him the scapegoat so many times. Maybe it is him, maybe it's not. I know they all want to make this team better. If not on the court, at least on the balance sheet.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm under the impression that the court order restrictions are still in place, right? I thought we THOUGHT they were lifted after the most recent ruling, but Sekou confirmed they weren't, right?

I don't remember that confirmation from Sekou.

Quote:

I doesn't really matter. A trade for Dalembert breaks none of the original injunction rules. We would still be under the cap. He' doesn't have a contract longer than 4 years.

Yeah I know that, but the ruling DID prevent us from going over the cap or signing contracts longer than 4 years, which would significantly hinder us from resigning Smith.

Are the restrictions still in place or not? I seriously don't know, but I thought they were.