• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SI: Stats Are the Reason Bonds Is So Hated

AHF

• Moderators

Quote:

Ellerman is not the only person to prosper from the leaked document...

IS there no such thing as accomplice after the fact?

No penalty for that?

No there is not penalty for this. It is protected by the First Amendment.

Quote:

If you were robbing safe deposit boxes... and you came up to me with your stolen goods.. and say... "Hey, I just stole these good from a safe deposit box, would you like to buy them."...

IF I bought them... doesn't that make me an accessory after the fact?

For stolen goods, yes. That would be illegal.

Quote:

Moreover, to collect the amount of evidence that they collected, republish it, and make a book from it... doesn't that bring in conspiracy too??

There is nothing wrong with any piece of evidence they collected other than the Grand Jury testimony and it isn't illegal for them to reproduce that information.

The government couldn't even stop the press from publishing classified materials.

New York Times Company v. United States, 403 U.S. 713, 91 S.Ct. 2140, 29 L.Ed.2d. 822 (1971)

Quote:

Just because Ellerman fell on the sword doesn't mean that the authors of the book are innocent?

You are right that those things are not connected but the fact is that the authors did nothing illegal by publishing the leaked testimony.

There is nothing more the government can do than prosecute Ellerman.

• Premium Member

That's an interesting court case.

After reading it, what went through my mind is that no government document is secure from the press. If a SPY.. Gives a News paper information that is sensitive to issues of National security.. there's no obligation by the courts to go after the newspaper..even if they knowingly take stolen information. You can use Leaked if you like... but it's really stolen.

However, that train of thought led me to Scotter Libby... WHY not.

Did you know that Bush Communed Libby's prison sentence?

That is Un----ingbelievable.

So now, you can out a spy... and if you do it for the "administration" there's no penalty to be paid by no one!!

I'll get my terminally ill uncle to get me some plans for the next US Warship...

I'll sell those bad boys to China or whoever else is interested at the highest price.

Seeing that I'm not the one that stole them...and it's information... I can go away SCOTFREE!!

• Moderators

Quote:

I'll get my terminally ill uncle to get me some plans for the next US Warship...

I'll sell those bad boys to China or whoever else is interested at the highest price.

Seeing that I'm not the one that stole them...and it's information... I can go away SCOTFREE!!

I am not your attorney but I would advise against that course of action on multiple levels!