• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight & Dunk Contest

AHF

• Moderators

The NBA is really dumb for not letting Dwight Howard raise the rim to 12 feet in the dunk contest.

Ummm....you guys allow traveling, hanging on the rim, foreign objects, 50 attempts at a dunk (thanks for the memories Birdman), but when you have the chance to actually generate some interest in the dying dunk contest and you can't give these guys some creative leeway?

It is about entertainment in a dunk contest. Let the guys entertain!

I haven't heard anything about this but the first thought that comes to mind is are there any engineering difficulties with them raising it? Can the rim be raised as constructed and have it still be safe? Also, how much time would it take to raise/lower the rim? Personally I don't like big men in the dunk contest because they rarely have a good performance but I would like to see him dunk on a 12' rim.

• Moderators

Quote:

I haven't heard anything about this but the first thought that comes to mind is are there any engineering difficulties with them raising it? Can the rim be raised as constructed and have it still be safe? Also, how much time would it take to raise/lower the rim? Personally I don't like big men in the dunk contest because they rarely have a good performance but I would like to see him dunk on a 12' rim.

It would not be that hard. Just raise one of the rims to 12' and have the other at 10'. In terms of the engineering, I don't think this presents much of an issue either. Howard is excited enough about this that he would probably pay for that himself - you know he has been practicing on one. Rudy Gay also showed interest in dunking on the 12' rim.

What was the NBA's argument for not doing it? I imagine that it either costs too much or isn't safe to do with the rims in an NBA arena. Those things might not be designed to be raised to 12'. The last thing the NBA would want is for Howard to get hurt trying to dunk it on it like that.