• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SeKou confirms big trade is coming...kinda

BornandDieHawks

It seems like Sekou already knows but won't report it until the deal is complete and since the NBA prohibits any trades during the All-Star break look to hear something on Monday.

Quote:

Trade rumblings and Big Al shining

By Sekou K Smith | Friday, February 15, 2008, 11:33 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

NEW ORLEANS - With a plethora of the things to blog about from the Crescent City on All-Star Weekend, leave it up to me to hit you with some scraps of what I’m hearing about the Hawks.

Yeah, those same Hawks you’re beefin’ with right now over that 0-4 slide heading into the ASW.

Word is they’ve got something brewing, a trade that could drastically change the look of this team heading into this week’s Western Conference road trip and beyond.

It wouldn’t be right to share details right now. Not with the particulars still somewhat murky and no deal officially done (what I can tell you is that not all the talent is heading to the Western Conference. Some of it might head East).

But if you come here anytime over the weekend, there will be updates. Seriously, I wouldn’t leave you hanging after this type of build up. And if the deal I’ve heard rumblings about doesn’t happen, I’m going break it down for you as well.

What I can tell you is this, after all the moaning and groaning that’s gone on around here over the Hawks sitting on their nest and not seeking out a spark to shake things up a bit, there appears to be a serious roster shake up on the horizon. And I mean SERIOUS!

Seriously, it’ll be worth checking in this weekend to see if the thing comes together.

Sights and sounds from the Big Easy on Friday:

Al Horford was the picture of efficiency in the Rookie Challenge, piling up 19 points and seven rebounds in just 21 minutes and 21 seconds of action. He shot a smooth 8-for-10 from the floor and handled his business. Very impressive. And there isn’t a person here who doesn’t think this kid will spend a few All-Star Weekends in the future in uniform. And Big Al was more than happy to represent for the city of Atlanta and the Hawks. “I think it helps just to get the name out there - the Atlanta Hawks organization,” he said of he and Joe Johnson’s obligation this weekend. “I’m very proud to represent it and so is Joe Johnson. I feel like coming to a game like this gives us confidence going into the second half of the season.”

Cleveland guard Daniel Gibson shot the lights out in the Sophomore’s 136-109 win. He was a stunning 11-for-20 from beyond the 3-point line (and 11-for-20 from the floor). It was insane. LeBron James wouldn’t sit down during the dazzling show, jumping to his feet every time Gibson drainer another shot. “Yeah, it was unbelievable,” Gibson said. “It was special. I never imagined. I never dreamed that I would come out and shoot the ball as well as I did in an environment and atmosphere like that. So right now I really don’t know what to say.” Hope he saved some of that mojo for Saturday’s 3-point shootout. But he wasn’t alone Friday. The second year guys shot a wicked 17-for-32 from deep, amazing even in a game where Horford and Paul Millsap were the only dudes even attempting to play defense.

The folks questioning Joe Johnson’s credentials as an All-Star better not ask his teammates here if they think he deserves it. They scoffed at the idea that he’s here on credit (he got shafted last year and wasn’t included until Jason Kidd got hurt and had to bow out) rather than merit. It was quite interesting the way they rallied to his defense when the questions (not necessarily from me but from other journalists, many from abroad) about whether he belonged cranked up.

As impressive, athletically, as some of these first and second year players looked, there has to be a better way to stage this type of game. I don’t have any fresh suggestions. But it’s getting uglier and uglier by the year. The rookies have lost six straight, and counting.

One last thing. Talk about putting your front office on the spot. Check out Carmelo Anthony’s response when asked (not by me, there was a swarm of journalists around every player during Friday’s media availability session) what he thought about all the trades taking place in the Western Conference? “I’m just waiting for my phone to ring and see what we are going to do,” he said. “The West is getting back to the way it used to be. The Western Conference race is tough right now even for us because we are in the ninth spot I think, so we are trying for eighth. It’s going to come down to the last game in the season I can tell you that. Every team in the West has a chance to make the playoffs”

"Al Horford was the picture of efficiency in the Rookie Challenge, piling up 19 points and seven rebounds in just 21 minutes and 21 seconds of action. He shot a smooth 8-for-10 from the floor and handled his business."

Can anybody believe how lucky BK got in the "ping pong ball" wars of 2007? Blind assed luck. Kick_Can_emoticon.gif