• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are some so eager to move Horford from the 5??

DavidSomerset

As far as not contributing, Horford is the 16th most efficient C/PF in the league right behind Shaq and Rasheed Wallace.

That's pretty dang good when you consider how raw he is offensively and once again the fact that he's the 4th option on a team that hasn't had a starting quality PG.

I can't stress enough how much Al could skyrocket up that list with 15+ pounds of muscle which is more than realistic for him to put that on with his frame, and with more polish in his offensive game.

We're talking about a guy who could be a top 10 guy at that position by the ripe age of 23.

That's pretty dang good folks!

I would not move him at all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

He is the best we got at the 5. Look at it this way. Zaza is easily 2 inches taller and at least 30 pounds heavier. Now tell me: Who is the better Center?

Horford, and that is exactly why we need another center. it isnt' hard to understand.

Quote:

Horford HAS the skills to play the 5 effectively.

first of all he doesn't have the size to guard a lot of centers. Secondly if he has the skills to score on them he sure has hidden those skills well.

Ex, he's a friggin rookie! Why is it so hard for people to understand that, AND that Center is one of the hardest positions to learn and immediately dominate (along with PG).

It makes no sense why people are ALREADY having this discussion...

Quote:

Josh Smith is not a better defender than Horford. He may block more shots and get more steals, but when it truly comes down to it, Horford is a much better man on man defender.

Okafor just dropped a 20/20 on Horford without Smith around to bail him out. He just posted horford up right under the rim and shot over him.

Quote:

I'd like to see what happens when Horf gets that many shots though

In order for that to happen he has to actually do something with the ball when he gets it. Instead he usually just stands around looking for someone to pass to while his man is 5 feet off him.

Quote:

Ex, he's a friggin rookie! Why is it so hard for people to understand that, AND that Center is one of the hardest positions to learn and immediately dominate (along with PG).

Some guys live to be pessimistic.

Same pessimistic bunch who gave up on Josh Smith so easily.

I mean the notion that Al Horford has shown no potential offensively is ridiculous and borderline idiotic.

Quote:

Quote:

Which is why we need another center. Duh.

I have ALWAYS said that...but that Center should be a BACKUP just to ease pressure off Horford for like 15 mins a game. At this point, we dont need to grab some starter Center to play the 5 and slide Horford to 4. To say Horford can't play Center longer term like you have is just plain ignorant.

Quote:

Quote:

Some guys live to be pessimistic.

Same pessimistic bunch who gave up on Josh Smith so easily.

I mean the notion that Al Horford has shown no potential offensively is ridiculous and borderline idiotic.

What is ridiculous is your lack of reading comprehension. Where did i say he didn't have offensive potential?

You just have to make stuff up because you can't make a coherent argument.

Horford is currently 10th in PER..... among rookies. He has to improve his scoring before he can be considered an average center, given how he struggles defending bigger players.

Amare struggles defending bigger players more than Horford but Amare makes them pay on the other end. Horford doesnt. And the thing is all he needs to do is start driving against bigger slower players but he just won't do it.

Quote:

Other than getting overpowered by bigger players, getting in early foul trouble and not being able to score against bigger players i cant think of any reasons.

Right now we are being badly outplayed at two positions, pg and C.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL5.HTM

We've addressed one problem with this trade. Now we have to address the other.

Seattle is getting out-produced at SG and SF (whichever position you want to peg Kevin Durant for)...

Do you see them talking about how they need to trade for a SF?

Quote:

Horford is currently 10th in PER..... among rookies. He has to improve his scoring before he can be considered an average center, given how he struggles defending bigger players.

Amare struggles defending bigger players more than Horford but Amare makes them pay on the other end. Horford doesnt. And the thing is all he needs to do is start driving against bigger slower players but he just won't do it.

Al Horford is the most efficient rookie in the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Effic...=0&splitDD=

He's the 16th among ALL C/PFs

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Effic...-1&splitDD=

PER isn't worth crap if a player doesn't have a decent number of minutes per game

Quote:

I have ALWAYS said that...but that Center should be a BACKUP just to ease pressure off Horford for like 15 mins a game. At this point, we dont need to grab some starter Center to play the 5 and slide Horford to 4. To say Horford can't play Center longer term like you have is just plain ignorant.

What is ignorant is thinking that all we need is a guy who can come in and play 15 minutes per game.

Right now we have nobody on the roster who can effectively guard big post players. If you really want me to list all the games Horford got abused or in foul trouble quickly i can but you won't like the list.

Horford is fine playing some center but he is better off splitting his time fairly evenly between the 4 and 5. Everyone can see this except Hawks homers.

Quote:

Quote:

What is ignorant is thinking that all we need is a guy who can come in and play 15 minutes per game.

Right now we have nobody on the roster who can effectively guard big post players. If you really want me to list all the games Horford got abused or in foul trouble quickly i can but you won't like the list.

Horford is fine playing some center but he is better off splitting his time fairly evenly between the 4 and 5. Everyone can see this except Hawks homers.

Wow, I somewhat respect you, but that has to be one of the most unintelligent, close-minded, vitriol-laden, and immature-riddled posts I have ever seen on here.

Period.

Quote:

Actually it's the Hawks pessimistic fans who are the only ones who don't highly regard the guy.

Everyone else think he's one of the young guys in the NBA to start a team with.

They think he can develop into a guy who can even score 18 PPG.

I don't know about that, but the point is we bash our team and future a lot more than outsiders do.

Horford has proven that he can carry the load at C as a ROOKIE. One with so many disadvantages that can be overcome with added strength and a starting quality PG.

Look for his production to go up with the starting PG and really go up with the added strength which I have the utmost faith in him gaining in the off-season. He looks like a guy who thrives off of contact and his broad shoulders again suggest they can take lots of more muscle mass.

I see Horford as 6'10 260+ of all muscle by the time he's 23 as a top 10 C in this league.

Ex would clearly be one of those coaches/GMs who would give up on a player way too early just because he 1)isnt a prototype and 2)doesnt IMMEDIATELY show the skills that only the RARE immediately show when they enter the NBA at a tough position.

Plus, he is way too close-minded to have a mature conversation with...as you have witnessed here.

BusBoy, it's not worth your time. I got better things to do now than have my IQ drop responding to posts like that.

Quote:

That is because efficiency isn't a per minute stat and Horford plays more minutes than anyone but Durant. Of course he should have more efficiency points than a guy playing 10 minutes per game.

What's the excuse for the other guys in the NBA who he matches up with?

Is Rasheed Wallace getting Durant minutes?

Only 2 of the 15 ahead of him among all C/PF have less minutes in Biedrins and Shaq.

I have no idea how the heck Biedrins is playing that well.

Quote:

Wow, I somewhat respect you, but that has to be one of the most unintelligent, close-minded, vitriol-laden, and immature-riddled posts I have ever seen on here.

Show me one column written by anyone, or any post by a non-Hawks fan, who thinks Horford is best used as a full time center.

Just one.

The Hawks beat writer (Sekou), coach, Horford himself, every opposing announcer and every writer i have seen has said that Horford isn't a full time center.

Quote:

Ex would clearly be one of those coaches/GMs who would give up on a player

Why don't you show me where i have advocated trading Horford or cutting his minutes.

You just have to make stuff up because you are unable to make a case that actually makes sense.

I guess Sekou and Woodson are giving up on Horford too since they agree with me.

Quote:

Show me one column written by anyone, or any post by a non-Hawks fan, who thinks Horford is best used as a full time center.

Just one.

The Hawks beat writer (Sekou), coach, Horford himself, every opposing announcer and every writer i have seen has said that Horford isn't a full time center.

One column? Lol written by the media who are the kings of status quo and only jump on the bandwagon of change after it happens?

We are in a transition phase IMO. It's conventional wisdom that you need a 7 footer with 270-280+ pounds at C.

But the NBA is making a transition away from that. The transition at PF isn't even debatable and the C position isn't far away.

All it takes is one team to break the stereotype of the idea that you can't win without a 7 footer and everyone will follow suit.

People always point to the Suns who failed. But the Suns lost more because of catching bad breaks in the playoffs than anything (Joe Johnson hurt, Amare suspended etc)

Not to mention teh team has no desire to play defense including their MVP point guard Steve Nash