• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would you want playing C next to Al?

txsting

Brainstorm with me here Hawks fans.....if we were to acquire a C to start beside Al (necessitating a trade of Marvin or Smoove), who do you want? A goodly number of you think Al is just fine at C, but I'm beginning to feel otherwise.

Let's put aside whether you would move Marvin or Smoove, argue that somewhere else - it's a good argument.

Take everything into account, like size, playing style, age....let's make a list of targets. Go ahead and include guys coming up in the draft too if you like - it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could make a draft day trade with a certain player in mind.

My requirements would be someone at least the same size as Al (a legit 4.5 or bigger). IOW minimum 6'10", ~250lbs. I would lean a little bit more toward a first option offensive player considering the FACT that Al is cleaning 10 boards in 31 minutes as a ROOK. When Al is playing 38 minutes he will getting 12-13 boards a night. Not to mention complimentary offensive production of at least 15 points. Given that, finesse style, pick-and-pop guys would certainly be considered by me. Or just put a mountain in there that can stop shots from anywhere, and build around a defensive mindset.

A few to start (other than Yao/Dwight/Oden I think we can reasonably talk about anyone else):

Aldridge (i covet)

Bosh (too small but I'd love to take the chance)

Thabeet (dikembe dos - despite being another young addition, shotblocking like that doesn't need to mature)

No thanks to:

Amare (durability, attitude)

Curry (loser)

big Z (too old)

IMO, trading Marvin (or Smith) for a defensive center is a bad move. Unless we're getting one of the elite like Tyson Chandler. What we need is a defensive center to rotate into the games to provide low-post support. That could be Kwame, Diop or Pryzbilla, to name 3. I just don't think that there are so many big men that torture us for 40 minutes/game that require a trade of Marvin or Smith. So while we need help, I'm not convinced we need a starter. And low-post defense does NOT require a shot-blocker. Just a willing defender that is big, quick & strong enough to keep the opposing player out of their comfort zone.

2 other names that would be projects (and therefore may or may not provide any help) are Patrick O'Bryant and David Harrison, they are both free agents this summer, as are Kwame and Diop. Petro and Elson are decent shot-blockers but I'm not sure they are good low post defenders. And neither appear to be very good rebounders.

And I don't think Portland would consider trading Aldridge unless they learn that he and Oden can't coexist. And they won't know that for at least 2 seasons.

Sorry, the line of thinking being that if you have Al at PF, and someone legitimate starting at C, there aren't enough minutes to go around between Marvin/Smoove at SF. Maybe you disagree with that? In which case i guess you could look at the forward rotation and correctly state that there is room for 4 guys to play 3 positions at 36 minutes a piece. But you have to give up something to get a center - what would you do? Or, don't you think we need one?

My logic is that you won't be able to acquire the C without giving up quality in return, and the obvious asset that we have that is both redundant and quality would be one of our young SF's.

Quote:

Sorry, the line of thinking being that if you have Al at PF, and someone legitimate starting at C, there aren't enough minutes to go around between Marvin/Smoove at SF. Maybe you disagree with that?

Yes

First of all i can't see trading Smith or Marvin to make room for a C. That makes no sense. The only way one of them would be moved is if they are involved in the trade to bring a C here.

While i don't like Horford as a full time center i have no problem with him playing 15 minutes there, which he could easily do if we brought in a center.

I dont like Smith at the 3 but he can easily play 10 minutes there. I don't see the need to trade anyone.

And i certainly don't see how Horford should start at the 4 ahead of Smith.