• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Online education?

NJHAWK

I graduated high school way back in 1991 and landed a job right out of school. Well as years went by of corse I advanced and made a decent living, good enough to support the family of 5 and enjoy my 4 weeks vacation all over the country with the family but nothing spectacular. Well my place of work went out of buisness last year and I lost my 4 weeks and a decent amount in salary with my new job. I still make enough to pay the bills and have some money put away for my kids college. I have 3 and my oldest just turned 11. The problem is unless I figure out a way to make more $$$ Im not going to be able to put alot aside for their education. I havw always thought about going back to school but dont have a whole lot of time. I see now that a decent amount of schools offer programs where you can earn a bachelors degree online. Does anyone know how seriously employers take degrees that you earn online? It seems to me that I could wind up paying all the money and spending the late nights at home earning the degree only to have an employer chuckle at it because it was earned online. I have always been a big history nut and I would most likely pursue a history related degree but I can only afford to do it if it will pay off in the end. Any knowledge or info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I graduated high school way back in 1991 and landed a job right out of school. Well as years went by of corse I advanced and made a decent living, good enough to support the family of 5 and enjoy my 4 weeks vacation all over the country with the family but nothing spectacular. Well my place of work went out of buisness last year and I lost my 4 weeks and a decent amount in salary with my new job. I still make enough to pay the bills and have some money put away for my kids college. I have 3 and my oldest just turned 11. The problem is unless I figure out a way to make more $$$ Im not going to be able to put alot aside for their education. I havw always thought about going back to school but dont have a whole lot of time. I see now that a decent amount of schools offer programs where you can earn a bachelors degree online. Does anyone know how seriously employers take degrees that you earn online? It seems to me that I could wind up paying all the money and spending the late nights at home earning the degree only to have an employer chuckle at it because it was earned online. I have always been a big history nut and I would most likely pursue a history related degree but I can only afford to do it if it will pay off in the end. Any knowledge or info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

I believe that some employers look OK on places like Phoenix or Strayer.. I think you should check their accreditation.

There's also some colleges doing evening classes or weekend classes for working people.

Lastly, you can also check your local community college. There have been a lot of programs that have been started with community colleges that cater to working class people in your situation... and they are cheap and they are regarded highly.

However, it depends on your interest.

A lot of programs will come around because of outsourcing. When companies move overseas and townships are destroyed, those people who were once working class who worked in the towns industry has to be reeducated to do something else. Over the next ten years or so, there will be a boom in all these types of education so employers will have to look at those degrees favorably. Plus Life experience is huge too.