Mike Woodson starting to get the idea

OkayChief

By Trey Daniels

After almost 4 years on the job, and despite 100 more L's than W's on his record, Hawks head coach Mike Woodson feels he is finally getting somewhere with his young team.

"I am starting to get it. I am still working on some things, but I think I finally have the basics down, " said Woodson. "Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins. Once I figured that one out, the rest of it just started falling in place."

Woodson said he once thought basketball was like golf, where the lower score wins.

"That totally changed the way I approached the game," said Woodson.

He said he also recently figured out the 3-point line, back court violations and rebounding. Woodson, who has faced rumors of being fired, said he should keep his job.

"I figure it can only get better. Now I can tell our players, 'Hey, we need 3 points, shoot from over here.' And it's actually OK if you miss the shot, you can run to the ball and get it back," said Woodson. "These are things I can pass on to our players and it should lead to a few wins."

When asked what he knew about defense, Woodson seemed puzzled.

"You mean it is OK to try to stop the other team? Wow!"

Woodson, who was an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons before coming to Atlanta, admitted he mostly rode the bench while Larry Brown did most of the work.

"Larry was great," said Woodson. "He could tell players what a travel is. He could even explain a bounce pass to them. That is part of the reason Detroit was so good."

Woodson said Brown allowed him to do vital things for him, like hold his clip board and hand Gatorade to players on the bench. The Atlanta coach said he rarely paid attention to the game saying he always found it "a little boring."

General Manager Billy Knight, a self-proclaimed 'basketball expert,' said he didn't realize Woodson knew so little about the game before hiring him.

"I really do very little in terms of preparation for these things," said Knight. "For me, picking a coach is a lot like drafting a player. You just close your eyes and pick a name."

The AJC recently reported that Knight recently tried to fire coach Woodson, but was not allowed to by ownership.

When asked why he would fire the coach, Knight said, "There comes a point when someone has to take the blame for what has been going wrong around here. If we fire Woodson, it is easier to point to him than actually accept some of that blame."

The Hawks are currently 29-38, but Woodson said he feels good about the team's playoff hopes.

"We have been working on these things called free throws," said Woodson. "I think they could have a big effect on the game."