• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Level of Smooveness...

ATLSmith

Quote:

I hope this isn't a re-post, but USA Today has an article on Josh Smith:

USA Today

Scorer's Table: Hawks' Smith delivers Smooth stats

Updated 2h 17m ago | Comment | Recommend1 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

Enlarge By Rick Havner, AP

Hawks swingman Josh Smith swats the shot of Bobcats big man Emeka Okafor on March 7 in Charlotte. Smith is averaging 2.9 blocked shots for the second straight season.

By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

Josh Smith's mad basketball skills have earned him the nickname "J-Smoove." Yet most fans probably don't fully appreciate the level of his J-Smooveness.

Smith, the Atlanta Hawks fourth-year power forward, needs to improve his crunchtime scoring and become more consistent in his all-around play. And at 22, he still has room to mature.

But when it comes to dazzling, five-category stat-sheet numbers, nobody matches Smith. Not this year, not last year — not in any season since 1996, and rarely before that.

"I've never seen anybody like him," said Hawks teammate Marvin Williams. "So fast, so explosive, so active."

PLAYOFF RESET: Postseason still in Pacers' reach

Smith is one of only three players in NBA history to average at least 17.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.5 steals and 2.8 blocks with a minimum of 68 games played in a season.

Keep in mind that the NBA did not keep track of blocks and steals until the 1973-74 season. Even so, Smith falls into select company, joining centers Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson, both 7-footers who won NBA titles.

Smith stands 6-9 and weighs 235, yet ranks second in the league in blocked shots, relying on timing and athleticism instead of height.

"Being undersized every night, I have to bang guys who are bigger, more physical and stronger," Smith said. "I try not to make it an issue; I just want to take it to my guy and play with heart."

Said Williams: "I've seen him on the ground when a team started a fast break, and he got up, ran the ball down and blocked the shot."

Smith is the top player on the NBA's youngest team, one that is battling for the Eastern Conference's last playoff spot. Along with Smith, Hawks coach Mike Woodson has also given significant minutes to Williams, who is in his third year, and fourth-year reserve forward Josh Childress.

"The sky is the limit with all three of those guys; they just must continue to learn," Woodson said. "With Josh Smith, more than anything, it's time-scoring situations. He's still not there yet when it comes to that. Neither are Marvin or Childress."

Woodson says Smith needs to get to the point where "he's really controlling games, may it be physically or mentally on the floor, and making guys around him responsive to the things he's doing on the floor to help you win. That's what all the great ones do. We're just not there yet."

Smith, the 2005 NBA Slam Dunk champion, acknowledges that he still needs to expand his offensive game: "My main goal is just making shots consistently. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to figure out whether to drive or settle for a jump shot."

Said Woodson: "He's made gradual steps along the way. When he first got here, it was a nightmare. He's grown a lot in his own way, and he's had a lot of latitude to develop his game. While he's doing that, we're still trying to win games, and that's tough."

Smith's stat package in tall company

Since the NBA started keeping track of steals and blocks in the 1973-74 season, only three players in league history have averaged at least 17.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.5 steals and 2.8 blocks per game in one season with a minimum of 68 games played. What's more, it's only been done seven times.

Player, team (year) Games PPG RPG APG SPG BPG

Josh Smith, Atlanta (2007-08) 68 17.3 8.2 3.4 1.6 2.9

Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston (1995-96) 72 26.9 10.9 3.6 1.6 2.9

Olajuwon, Houston (1994-95) 72 27.8 10.8 3.5 1.8 3.4

Olajuwon, Houston (1993-94) 80 27.3 11.9 3.6 1.6 3.7

David Robinson, San Antonio (1993-94) 80 29.8 10.7 4.8 1.7 3.3

Olajuwon, Houston (1992-93) 82 26.1 13.0 3.5 1.8 4.2

Robinson, San Antonio (1992-93) 82 23.4 11.7 3.7 1.5 3.2

Source: Elias Sports Bureau

Excellent article with spot on quotes from both Woodson and Marvin.

We all know he has unlimited potential once his basketball IQ is developed.

I wanted to post some stuff about Smith's improved decisons in the Magic game but the following day was a holliday and was with family.

What I loved in the Magic game was not a specific play but the maturity Smith showed that had him lacking many times in his career. Woody yanked Smith for just like 1 or 2 minutes in the 4th quarter b/c he saw something that needed to be metioned to Smith. Smith actually walked right to Woodson, looked his coach straight in the eye, and listened. (I don't know what he told him. I did notice Smith shot an ouside jumper a few plays earlier but Woodson may have been talking defensive strategy for the Magic's unconventional but very talented front court.

Wow ! That was so refeshng to see ! Sometimes he is in one of those moods where when Woody tries to teach him something he just walks right by him without even lookng at him. That would make any coach yell. Walking up to Woodson while looking him in the eye, keeping his mouth shut, and listening was a beautiful thing to see.

The kid is "getting it" after all.

Quote:

What I loved in the Magic game was not a specific play but the maturity Smith showed that had him lacking many times in his career.

I noticed something different in that game which indicates that he has a long way to go.

In the first half he was owning the Magic by taking it to the basket. So what does he do in the second half? Jack up jumpers. he took 3 three pointers on the game. he is shooting 25% from 3 this year and shot 25% last year.

STOP SHOOTING 3s!

Quote:

Quote:

What I loved in the Magic game was not a specific play but the maturity Smith showed that had him lacking many times in his career.

I noticed something different in that game which indicates that he has a long way to go.

In the first half he was owning the Magic by taking it to the basket. So what does he do in the second half? Jack up jumpers. he took 3 three pointers on the game. he is shooting 25% from 3 this year and shot 25% last year.

STOP SHOOTING 3s!

I agree on that subject He did start shooting too many 3's in the 2nd half.

but

That is not what I referred to in my post.

I was referring to Smith showing the maturity to listen to his coach in the 4th quarter when Woodson felt the need to give Smith some one on one instruction. It could have vary well been on the vary topic you bring up (take it closer in and don't shoot 3 unless the shot clock is down.)

What made me smile is how Smith actually listended without showing any "attitude." I have seen Woodson attempt to give Smith one on one instruction several times this year only for Smith to walk right by Woodson without even acknowledging Woodson was trying to talk to him. (That is why you see writers from other towns write that Smith has attitude issues.)

Quote:

Smith is the top player on the NBA's youngest team

Wait, did we trade Joe Johnson?!?!!

Quote:

Said Woodson: "He's made gradual steps along the way. When he first got here, it was a nightmare. He's grown a lot in his own way, and he's had a lot of latitude to develop his game. While he's doing that, we're still trying to win games, and that's tough."

Nice D, Woody!