• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did anyone else notice?

jhay610

Not that it had much bearing on the final score, but I thought it was interesting that Josh was kind of on a roll when he got that 2nd foul. He was blocking a lot of shots and had that nice coast to coast play. He picked up that 2nd early in the 2nd qtr. and of course he was done for the half.

KG had 2 quick ones, and got yanked. Then the Hawks went on their run cut it to a couple buckets, and Doc got him back in their early in the second. The Celts curtailed the Hawks run. KG picks up another foul late in the qtr and sits.

The point is there is no set rule to these sorts of things. If you feel like the game is getting out of hand, you throw your book out the window and go on feel. Doc felt like he had to stop the momentum the Hawks were building, so he put his big-ticket player back in the game. I guarantee you even if the Celts had outscored us 30-5 in the 2nd Smoove would still be sitting their because the little cheat sheet Woody made b4 the season said he couldn't play 'til the 2nd half.

Oh, and KG picked up his 3rd later in the qtr. That didn't seem to slow him down much in the 2nd half. KG finished w 3 fouls, Smoove w 4. If I was an opposing coach I would go right at Horf and try to pick up some cheap early fouls on him, and then step on the Hawks early by attacking the soft interior when he's not in the game. I was hoping Woody's foul rules would be thrown out in the playoffs. Guess not.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The point is there is no set rule to these sorts of things. If you feel like the game is getting out of hand, you throw your book out the window and go on feel. Doc felt like he had to stop the momentum the Hawks were building, so he put his big-ticket player back in the game. I guarantee you even if the Celts had outscored us 30-5 in the 2nd Smoove would still be sitting their because the little cheat sheet Woody made b4 the season said he couldn't play 'til the 2nd half.

1st of all the call was horrible so you knew the refs were not going to be kind to the Hawks last night! And you also knew that Garnett would get the Superstar treatment. Secondly, Garnett is a vet and Smoove a young player who admitted that he was too amp'ed up in that game. Thirdly, the team played well in the second quarter and even out scored the Celtic in that period. They were only down by 9 at half so it had no impact on the game.

Quote:

1st of all the call was horrible so you knew the refs were not going to be kind to the Hawks last night!

Quote:

This will not change. We have to keep playing and only worry about what we control

Quote:

Secondly, Garnett is a vet and Smoove a young player who admitted that he was too amp'ed up in that game.

Ok, but that doesn't really pertain to anything I said.

Quote:

Thirdly, the team played well in the second quarter and even out scored the Celtic in that period. They were only down by 9 at half so it had no impact on the game.

I understand what happened as I watched the game. We had cut it to two, in fact. The point was that Woody does not know how and when to deploy his big-ticket players. I promise you if it would have been Al that picked up 2 quickies he would have finished with 10 and 5 and everyone would have said he's a no-show.

Quote:

Not that it had much bearing on the final score, but I thought it was interesting that Josh was kind of on a roll when he got that 2nd foul. He was blocking a lot of shots and had that nice coast to coast play. He picked up that 2nd early in the 2nd qtr. and of course he was done for the half.

KG had 2 quick ones, and got yanked. Then the Hawks went on their run cut it to a couple buckets, and Doc got him back in their early in the second. The Celts curtailed the Hawks run. KG picks up another foul late in the qtr and sits.

Oh, and KG picked up his 3rd later in the qtr. That didn't seem to slow him down much in the 2nd half. KG finished w 3 fouls, Smoove w 4. If I was an opposing coach I would go right at Horf and try to pick up some cheap early fouls on him, and then step on the Hawks early by attacking the soft interior when he's not in the game. I was hoping Woody's foul rules would be thrown out in the playoffs. Guess not.

Very, very good post. You are exactly right. When you have a chance to shift a game, that you arent supposed to win, in your favor, you take it! Putting Smoove back in immediately (or not taking him out with that 2nd foul) could have really piled on to our good play in the second quarter. Unfortunately the "2 and done" rule with Woody kicked in. Yeah, Smoove admitted he was too amped for the game, but as already said, you gotta take advantage of those chances when they arise. That's the difference between good and bad coaching.