An option for the Falcons

codyatl

Why not trade our 3 2nd rd picks for 1st rd picks next yr? Would be real nice to have 4 1st rd picks in a terrific draft next yr. Andre Smith, Mike Oher, James Laurinitus, Mathew Stafford, Mallauga, Boone and Herman Johnson. Really strong draft for OL and LB.

Quote:

Why not trade our 3 2nd rd picks for 1st rd picks next yr? Would be real nice to have 4 1st rd picks in a terrific draft next yr. Andre Smith, Mike Oher, James Laurinitus, Mathew Stafford, Mallauga, Boone and Herman Johnson. Really strong draft for OL and LB.

Trading multiple picks to move up is a move best used by teams that are only missing a piece or two. The Falcons will be busy this year and next year building a foundation, so I think it's best that we keep the picks and load up on as much talent as possible.

I think we're in the sweet spot by having a dozen or so picks in any given draft - not too many that we'll either be terribly young or draft players that we won't use (either play or trade) and not too few that we don't do much of anything at all (read: the Redskins last year and the Raiders this year) during the draft.

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. We dont have to package our picks to get a 1st next yr. We can trade the 3rd pick of the 2nd rd this yr for a 1st next yr and probaby get a 3rd or 4th as well.. We could could do the same with the 6th pick of the 2nd rd. Does anyone remember when we traded away a 1st rd pick to get a 2nd that we used on Reggie Kelly? That pick turned out to be Jamal Lewis. Think about it. It makes good sense.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. We dont have to package our picks to get a 1st next yr. We can trade the 3rd pick of the 2nd rd this yr for a 1st next yr and probaby get a 3rd or 4th as well.. We could could do the same with the 6th pick of the 2nd rd. Does anyone remember when we traded away a 1st rd pick to get a 2nd that we used on Reggie Kelly? That pick turned out to be Jamal Lewis. Think about it. It makes good sense.

It would depend on whose pick we were getting and who was on the board, but generally I would certainly think about this if someone wanted to overpay us for one of our picks. I agree that generally a future first is more valuable than a current second.

Quote:

Completely misread your original post! doh.gif

I'd be happy if we could trade one (or even two) of our 2nds this year for a 1st next year.

Quote:

Why not trade our 3 2nd rd picks for 1st rd picks next yr?...

I see your logic (and think it's pretty good - but not all three - maybe 1 or 2)...still, Mr. Arthur B. ain't the ASG...he's not likely into long term rebuilding processes without at least some immediate results. (thank heavens) thumb3d.gif