• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

for the Coach Watchers...Avery Waiting on Atl

hussamga

• Premium Member

Quote:

It would be absurd to fire Woody for Avery Johnson.

Avery Johnson has not proven he can develop young talent. He was with a talent laden veteran team in Dallas. One that was outcoached in the post-season I might add.

I have to agree with BBB.

I like Avery Johnson from the perspective that he could work with our Guards. However, I don't think it was a lot of work to do in Dallas. He had a 50 win team and a blue print that had already been set by Nellie. His claim to fame was structure and defense. He proved that he didn't have enough to win when the games counted. He couldn't counter when his weapons were taken away. At least Wood has shown in this short series that he can counter.

Quote:

Quote:

Avery Johnson has not proven he can develop young talent. He was with a talent laden veteran team in Dallas. One that was outcoached in the post-season I might add.

I like Avery Johnson from the perspective that he could work with our Guards. However, I don't think it was a lot of work to do in Dallas. He had a 50 win team and a blue print that had already been set by Nellie. His claim to fame was structure and defense. He proved that he didn't have enough to win when the games counted. He couldn't counter when his weapons were taken away. At least Wood has shown in this short series that he can counter.

*cough*bullsh!t*cough*

Quote:

Quote:

At least Wood has shown in this short series that he can counter.

Playoffs are OVER. Please judge Woody on his career. If you think one of Woody's strengths is "countering" please break down every 3rd quarter he's ever coached. I would venture to say that countering is one of Woody's negatives and I wouldn't be venturing very far.

Quote:

Quote:

must be april fool's day. What did Woodson counter with, he had the same damn gameplan through the entire series, our crowd willed the team to 3 victories. AJ transformed the Mavericks from a run and gun team to a team that committed to defense and a good half court offense. It's unfortunate that there are several championship calibur teams in the west.

Quote:

Let me throw my 2 pennies in here too. For this statement to come from a die-hard Hawks fan that supposedly watches every game is just completely and utterly dumbfounding.

The inability to make adjustments is one of Woody's fatal flaws. I thought that was a universally accepted truth across this board.

Quote:

Quote:

Let me throw my 2 pennies in here too. For this statement to come from a die-hard Hawks fan that supposedly watches every game is just completely and utterly dumbfounding.

Maybe he meant that "in relation to" our other options (no HC) Woody is very productive at countering others.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Playoffs are OVER. Please judge Woody on his career. If you think one of Woody's strengths is "countering" please break down every 3rd quarter he's ever coached. I would venture to say that countering is one of Woody's negatives and I wouldn't be venturing very far.

I agree.

What I meant was specifically what I said. IN a series. He can counter. IN a quarter by quarter situation: Not so much. I think that's the difference between him and Avery. Avery may do better quarter by quarter, but over a series, he's proven that he cannot counter. Even in their run during Avery's first year, they never countered what the other team did. They just overcame. What I mean is that when the Clippers targetted Dirk.. they never countered that by making Dirk a Decoy.. instead, they looked to Dirk to score more anyway.

Or when the Spurs were beating them with drives down the lane, they never really closed up the lane, they just worked to outscore the spurs.

However, I credit Wood because when JJ was being constantly doubled, he got JJ to initiate the offense from a step from halfcourt then as the double was coming to make a pass. It's sound philosophy when you're hitting a high percentage of your shots. I would have like to seen us use JJ as a real decoy and let Bibby run plays but Bibby is not that type of PG.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

What I meant was specifically what I said. IN a series. He can counter. IN a quarter by quarter situation: Not so much. I think that's the difference between him and Avery. Avery may do better quarter by quarter, but over a series, he's proven that he cannot counter. Even in their run during Avery's first year, they never countered what the other team did. They just overcame. What I mean is that when the Clippers targetted Dirk.. they never countered that by making Dirk a Decoy.. instead, they looked to Dirk to score more anyway.

Or when the Spurs were beating them with drives down the lane, they never really closed up the lane, they just worked to outscore the spurs.

However, I credit Wood because when JJ was being constantly doubled, he got JJ to initiate the offense from a step from halfcourt then as the double was coming to make a pass. It's sound philosophy when you're hitting a high percentage of your shots. I would have like to seen us use JJ as a real decoy and let Bibby run plays but Bibby is not that type of PG.

I'm sorry, you're pointing out a lack of adjustment as evidence of making an adjustment. Despite the fact that Celtics double JJ every time he touched the ball, 40 feet from the basket, wherever, the team still force fed the ball into his hands. Repeatedly. We lingered around on the perimeter, looked for JJ. The only thing different was that JJ had to pass out of (and occasionally forced bad shots against) doubleteams. Everyone stood around on offense and swung out 30 feet from the basket just to get Joe the ball at times. Josh Smith still tried to shoot three pointers, instead of taking advantage of the occasionas that KG went out to help pressure Joe by getting into the paint.

Marvin did the exact same thing he'd been trying to do all series, and had done all season. He was just catching and shooting the mid range jumper. We won game 6 because Marvin hit a higher percentage of his wide open shots than we normally see-he still took the same number of shots he had through most of the series. Bibby actually took a higher volume of shots because we kept screening for Joe-EXACTLY like we did in game 4-and Rondo was double Joe instead of staying on Bibby. Bibby didn't shoot for a much higher percentage, it was just that he took more of the looks Joe would have taken on those screens. Woodson still made dumbass substitutions, like sitting Al Horford for the entire second quarter while he had 2 fouls. He still refused to play Acie, who showed himself more capable than Bibby of beating Rondo off the dribble.

Quote:

Woody is not an NBA caliber coach. I don't think Avery is anything great, but I would take pretty much anyone over Woody.