Possible new Cap figures

hussamga

Pulled this off Draftexpress...Estimates from some Player Agents represenatives...

>The most interesting thing to come out of the seminar might have been the insight that was revealed about next year’s cap figures and the NBPA’s plans regarding the upcoming CBA. Next year’s salary cap is currently being estimated at 58.5 million dollars, up from 55.63 million dollars. The luxury tax threshold is projected to rise to 71 million dollars, up from 67.865 million this year, and the Mid-Level Exception is expected to rise to 5.55 million dollars, up from 5.36 million. These are not final or official numbers at this point, but rather the NBPA’s estimations, as they were told to us.

Salary Cap 58.5m

Lux Tax 71m

MLE 5.55m

I guess the weak dollar has given a little higher % increase year on year.

Now someone crunch the numbers in their spreadsheet for resigning deals and staying under the luxury. I retired my spreadsheet after the deadline passed tongue.gif

I had 58.4, 71.3 and 5.7 on my sheet. According to my sheet we would be dead on the cap if we resign Smoove starting at 11 and Chillz starting at 6.5. Every dollar Andersen gets will be a luxury tax dollar if nothing else changes.

I expect us to be a taking a little luxury tax hit this year. We may be able to structure the new deals so that year 1 is a little easier, hopefully (including DA's deal). I wouldn't be surprised to see us do something with Zaza (maybe trade with an under the cap team, taking back less salary). I would hate to move Zaza without at least seeing DA in action first. We can save 1M by letting Salim walk.

Quote:

I had 58.4, 71.3 and 5.7 on my sheet. According to my sheet we would be dead on the cap if we resign Smoove starting at 11 and Chillz starting at 6.5. Every dollar Andersen gets will be a luxury tax dollar if nothing else changes.

I expect us to be a taking a little luxury tax hit this year. We may be able to structure the new deals so that year 1 is a little easier, hopefully (including DA's deal). I wouldn't be surprised to see us do something with Zaza (maybe trade with an under the cap team, taking back less salary). I would hate to move Zaza without at least seeing DA in action first. We can save 1M by letting Salim walk.

If this ownership pays luxury tax, then kudos to them. The city has shown they will support a winning product so it make business sense for them to do so with the return Hawks fans have proved they will get on their investment.

If they follow through and resign Smith and Chillz (as Gearon, Jr. says they will) and the David Anderson rumors are true, then I will be very happy with the way ownership has stepped up to the plate with major financial committments.

The following year ZaZa ($4 mill) , Bibby ($14.5 mill), and Marvin (around $7.5 mill) will be falling off the books for some cap relief. Of course JJ is up for an extension then at the age of 28 or we risk him being a FA at the age of 29...........With JJ's game being on the ground (vs. guys like Vince Carter relying on hops) I don't mind giving him a "front loaded" 4 or 5 year deal at the age of 29 to JJ. I see him playing well into his 30's at a high level. Though maybe at SF as a "point foward" rather then SG.

We were 5 wins away from being a winning team this year and that's without having Bibby for the first half of the season and not having the real JJ until the last 1/3 of the season. Considering how many games we flat out blew I don't see any reason why we won't be a winning team next year if we stay healthy.

Oh they certainly should be a + .500 ball club next year but my point is the ASG is sitting on a core group of players that have yet to see a winning season and will probably wind up winning (we hope) around 45 games next season.

Is a hope and a prayer worth 71 million in payroll?

I'd really like to see their books.

I think the biggest challenge for our new GM will be to find quality backups/role players in the 1-3m range which alot of the stacked playoff teams have. Theoretically, this is how i imagined a team roster should look like....

My Theoretical . Hawks 08

Star1 15m . Mike Bibby 14.5m

Star2 13m . Joe Johnson 14.2m

Star3 11m . Josh Smith 11m

MLE06 6m . Speedy Claxton 5.8m

MLE08 5m . Marvin Williams 5.6m

FRR05 5m . Josh Childress 5.5m

FRR06 4m . David Anderson 4.5m

FRR07 3m . Al Horford 4.2m

Veteran1 3m . Zaza Pachulia 4m

Veteran2 2m . Acie Law 2m

Veteran3 1m . Solomon Jones .8m

SRR06 1m . Mario West .4m

SRR07 1m . Jeremy Richardson .4m

SRR08 .5m

------------------ . -------------------------------

14players 70.5m . 13players 73m

Top3 39m . Top3 40m

Other Playoff Teams Top3 for 08

Spurs 42m

Pistons 35m

Magic 38m

Lakers 50m

Boston 61m

Cavs 42m

Hornets 44m

Raptors 31m

Jazz 35m

Nuggets 49m

Rockets 41m

Suns 47m

Mavs 50m

I read somewhere most teams get like 70% production from the top3 players on the roster, why i included the list. I think our roster production is spread out across our top6 more like the pistons. Consider our top 3 salary b4 the bibby trade...must have been like 25m.