• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do we do in 2010?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Other teams have started to look ahead to the biggest FA class in years, I think we need to prepare for it. What do we do? Here's how I see it. IN 2010, a lot of teams will free up cash to be major players for big name FAs. Unfortunately, JJ is a free agent in 2010 also. We have brought back his coach of preference. Signed til 2010. We have presumably will resign the Joshes.

Do we give JJ an Extension? If so, do we do it during the 2008 Season or the 2009 Season?

What I see is a team like Phoenix or a team like Cleveland or a team like Chicago having a lot of Money. Even Oklahoma City has set itself up to have money in 2010.

Quote:

Other teams have started to look ahead to the biggest FA class in years, I think we need to prepare for it. What do we do? Here's how I see it. IN 2010, a lot of teams will free up cash to be major players for big name FAs. Unfortunately, JJ is a free agent in 2010 also. We have brought back his coach of preference. Signed til 2010. We have presumably will resign the Joshes.

Do we give JJ an Extension? If so, do we do it during the 2008 Season or the 2009 Season?

What I see is a team like Phoenix or a team like Cleveland or a team like Chicago having a lot of Money. Even Oklahoma City has set itself up to have money in 2010.

I think IF you extend him you do so in 09 after we see what the 08 campaign was like. In all likelihood Woodson continues to play him 45 minutes a night. I'm still not sold on resigning him, after all he could command a great deal. This is the bigger question- do we bring him back? What do you think D?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I think IF you extend him you do so in 09 after we see what the 08 campaign was like. In all likelihood Woodson continues to play him 45 minutes a night. I'm still not sold on resigning him, after all he could command a great deal. This is the bigger question- do we bring him back? What do you think D?

I say we sit down with him either in March of next year or in the offseason and we see what it will take to lock him up with an extension. The last thing we need is:

1. To insult JJ.

2. For other teams to start setting up camp around JJ.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I say we sit down with him either in March of next year or in the offseason and we see what it will take to lock him up with an extension. The last thing we need is:

1. To insult JJ.

2. For other teams to start setting up camp around JJ.

One thing that we should consider is by the time Joe comes up for an extinsion will he still be the best player on the team? If the answer is yes then we should lock him up long term for about the same money that he is making now but if the answer is no then we should try to sign him for less money so that we can invest in our younger and better players.

• Premium Member

Quote:

One thing that we should consider is by the time Joe comes up for an extinsion will he still be the best player on the team? If the answer is yes then we should lock him up long term for about the same money that he is making now but if the answer is no then we should try to sign him for less money so that we can invest in our younger and better players.

I don't see anybody challenging JJ as the best offensive option on this team. NOT SMoove and NOT Horf. I think we need to be smart about this and notice that JJ is still young and still putting up the goods.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see anybody challenging JJ as the best offensive option on this team. NOT SMoove and NOT Horf. I think we need to be smart about this and notice that JJ is still young and still putting up the goods.

I agree with you but you just have to think about these things before extending Joe.

Quote:

Quote:

Definitely. I don't think anyone on our roster will ever be more capable on offense than Joe Johnson. He is hands down our star player, and still one of the most underrated players in the league. He's our franchise player, and still has good years ahead of him.

If the Hawks come into next season and Marvin, Bibby and ZaZa are all playing well it will bring up some interesting decisions for ASG and Sund. Do you:

Resign Bibby?

Give Marvin Extension?

Resign ZaZa?

Give Speedy another long term deal that will hold this team back another four years(sorry I had to vent a little). saythat.gif

All these players futures will affect JJ in 10. I hope they all do play well not only so the team can win but so they can increase their value for a trade or to be apart of this teams future.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If the Hawks come into next season and Marvin, Bibby and ZaZa are all playing well it will bring up some interesting decisions for ASG and Sund. Do you:

Resign Bibby?

Give Marvin Extension?

Resign ZaZa?

Give Speedy another long term deal that will hold this team back another four years(sorry I had to vent a little).
saythat.gif

All these players futures will affect JJ in 10. I hope they all do play well not only so the team can win but so they can increase their value for a trade or to be apart of this teams future.

If that scenerio happens, I thnk Bibby will definitely get a resigned contract if he can lower his asking price. PG is so important. On the other hand, I think the resigning of Marvin will be determined by if Marvin is willing to resign with us before he goes to the market AND if he does go to the Market what kind of deal does Marvin get? For instance, if Bibby puts up 18/4/9 shooting 39% from three, Marvin puts up 20/6/2 shooting 46% from the field and Zaza put up 11/7/1 in 25 mpg... I think our first move will be to resign Bibby or at least to get an agreement with Bibby for an average salary less than 15. I think our second move would be to try to lock down Marvin before he becomes a RFA. Finally I think our third move would be to resign Zaza (his resign gains importance based on if he allows us to play Horf at PF).

The problem is that you can't see it all happening at the same time. We'd be a beast.

Quote:

the same guy who wanted to spend less than the league minimum is suddenly going to spend well into the luxury tax? Good one!

OK Las...read this S L O W and try to remember. Mr. Belkin (the elected Gov. of the team and 30% owner) APPROVED of the JJ deal TWICE!! He only dissed it when BK was throwing in everthing but the kitchen sink. champagne.gif

I think retaining all our younger talent will be the way this team goes. I think Bibby is gone after this year and JJ after his current contract ends.

I like both players but Bibby even at $8mil per really isn't much better than Acie or other cheaper options we might find, especially given his injury tendencies. JJ is great but he can barely carry a team to a playoff win or two. Really he's just another 6'9 multifaceted player and we already have plenty of those. SG is the easiest position to fill cheaply. I hope we start looking for his young replacement soon and start looking to trade JJ. This is where the Shelden draft year hurt us, Roy or even Foye would work fine to allow us to move JJ for a center, etc.

Of course, maybe a better option is pick up a cheaper 2 or 3 and let JJ cover the opposite position and trade Marvin. Hmm, kinda makes it look like it's either keep Marvin or JJ doesn't it.

• Premium Member

It would be nice to believe that Belkin could run the Hawks. However, he is not the best financial person in the world. Just ask the Boston Redevelopment Authority. It seems like everything Belkin touches just turns to a big pile of shadookie. I imagine the same would happen with the Hawks. I wouldn't be surprise to see him run the team on the cheap and milk the team for it's Escrow Share. Nobody ever asked Belkin why he wanted to be an owner. It wasn't because he was a lifelong fan of the Hawks like ASG... At least they got that. It's because he saw how Owners made money hand over fist because of escrow and the BRI payments.

While ASG maybe poor and not the greatest managers in the world, I know one thing. Just like me they want a winning team on the floor for more than just the money they can generate. For Belkin, I think it's more business than pleasure. Too much business and you forget about the fans and you screw the pooch with the team.

Quote:

I think retaining all our younger talent will be the way this team goes. I think Bibby is gone after this year and JJ after his current contract ends.

I like both players but Bibby even at $8mil per really isn't much better than Acie or other cheaper options we might find, especially given his injury tendencies.
JJ is great but he can barely carry a team to a playoff win or two. Really he's just another 6'9 multifaceted player and we already have plenty of those. SG is the easiest position to fill cheaply.
I hope we start looking for his young replacement soon and start looking to trade JJ. This is where the Shelden draft year hurt us, Roy or even Foye would work fine to allow us to move JJ for a center, etc.

Of course, maybe a better option is pick up a cheaper 2 or 3 and let JJ cover the opposite position and trade Marvin. Hmm, kinda makes it look like it's either keep Marvin or JJ doesn't it.

uglyhammer.gif

So, the Lakers should get rid of Kobe Bryant because he can barely carry his team to a playoff win or two ?

Wow. Our team would be so unbelievably bad without Joe Johnson. I wouldn't even watch the Hawks if they moved Joe. He's young, skilled, and one of the best wingmen in the game. He's one of the more versatile scorers, and our only All Star player. You think Randy Foye could have replaced Joe's production..seriously ?

Also, nobody in the league except LeBron James or Chris Bosh carries their teams anywhere. Any other star player (in the playoffs) you name had significant help from a talented teammate or two.

Our team would be beyond bad if our offensive focus night in and night out were Josh Smith or Marvin Williams.

Also, SG isn't the easiest position to fill cheaply. PG is.

Well there aren't many superstar types who can single handedly carry a franchise to the highest levels - Paul, Howard, Duncan, Lebron types of players. Unfortunately we don't have one of those so it looks like the best way to go is to snag a group of talented players who can fill roles. Joe can, if he isn't dogging it/exhausted (or whatever was going on until the ASG break), be an offensive focal point for a team. The chances of landing a better player are slim enough that we should angle to resign. Joe has shown however, that he is willing to leave a team if he doesn't like the situation. To me that means, if we lose Smith this offseason and go back to a team with very little chance to make the playoffs, we need to have a plan to unload Joe for assets before he asks to go to a team where he has a chance to win in 10' when he is a couple years closer to the end of his career.