• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting take on the trade at cnnsi.com

jjjohns3

• Premium Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga.../07/25/insider/

He just wanted to say something. Any fool can see that the trade did not effect what will happen in 2005. With Dog, in 2005, we were looking to have: Dog, SAR, Theo, Hendu, and CC to hit free agency at the same time. That really hasn't changed. All the trade has done is really give us the temptation to eat that money up now rather than later..

He says that McDavid ought to make no changes and just ride it out til 2005. What exactly does that convey to FAs about our franchise. It tells me that we are not trying to win. It's the same theory that the Clipps use time and time again... and is the reason why no free agents wants to play for the likes of the Clipps and the Bulls when they did similar things.

Once the Dog trade was made, I think any realistic hope we had of winning prior to that date flew out the window. "Capspace" and "flexiblity" have been the buzz words around the Hawks' offices since the Dog trade was made but the simple reality is that the trade was made so that the team could avoid paying the luxury tax. Period. We don't have enough capspace or enough flexibility to do anything significant and as a result, barring a miracle (such as DJ, DG or Diaw becoming our best player) we will be a bad team for the next 2 years.

• Premium Member

Riding it out benefits NOBODY. In fact it hurts his credentials as an owner.

Trade.

Send, JT, Reef, and Theo to a better place. Let the world know that we are rebuilding. However, we need to rebuild with Good Pieces. I'm talking about young players who can play together because FAcy is not a good risk. FAcy depends on players wanting to be here. And that really depends on how good of a franchise we are.

First off, I would try my hardest to get a legitimate Star in here. First on my list is Vince Carter.

[picture]http://www.fireflybooks.com/media/475/1552631702.jpg[/picture]

I know he's the franchise in Canada.. However, if we threw the right deal together, we could probably get him.

I think SAR/Theo for Carter/Davis might be the right deal. Seriously. Davis' contract is a Albatrose. We take it with Vince. Give them Cap Relief and two guys who can play for championship now and see what that leaves.

Vince is CLEARLY a more talented player than Reef when healthy and his style of play would draw fans to Philips. Vince is a little soft but a JT/Carter backcourt would definitely give us something to build around. Nazr/AD wouldn't be horrible up front either. I still think we would be looking at 05/06 before we could do anything of signifcance (and we'd need to move Nazr for ending salary by then) but I'd still pull the trigger on the deal. All that being said, the Raps are not doing that deal.

• Premium Member

The signal is... we are rebuilding. NOT we are making a run. The fans have to have somebody to get behind. In order to get Vince it might take all three...

Terry/SAR/Theo for Vince/AD/Williams. However, when the smoke is cleared, Vince Carter in Atlanta is just what a new owner needs. I think Vince's statements about Bosh may lead to him being traded. If we dangle enough in front of Toronto maye they will give us Vince.

O and Vince is back. The Photo on my other post is recent (his charity game) He can FLY again. Get him in Atlanta... Build around him!

If you get him, they will come.