Chris Crawford

Dion Glover

Emanual Davis

to Chicago for

Eddie Robinson

Jamal Crawford

AJ Guyton

#18 pick

This is one being considered by the RealGM CHI affiliate...

The MIL GM wanted Theo and Toni for Thomas, Caffey, Johnson, and the 13th pick. I balked because I didn't think the Hawks would really do that.

He went on to trade Thomas and #13 to NY for Thomas, Jackson, and Travis Knight....not exactly the same quality sought from me.

...and maybe tried to package Crawford and change with #18 to move further up (maybe to Mia or Was; they both could use a PG) to get into striking distance of Top Ten land. The second one is just plain awful, I would've rejected it too, cause I'm still high on Slim and Leon...

I wouldn't trade DJ for E Rob straight up and Bagaric, Guyton and Richardson aren't as good as what we have now. The #18 has no more value than Leon Smith to me. From a talent standpoint, he has as good a chance to be a significant player as anyone we could likely get at 18. No deal!

I have had a couple of posters on the RealGM site say that the trade MIL proposed (Thomas, Caffey, and the Not-so-Magic Johnson and the #13 for Theo and Toni) was the one I should have pulled the trigger on, but I didn't think that the Hawks would do it, so I paused.

He then went on to trade Thomas and #13 to NYK for Kurt Thomas, Mark Jackson, and Travis Knight, which wasn't near what he was asking from me, IMO...

Should I have done the deal immediately?

I certainly wouldnt do the Bulls deal....but the Bucks deal, well that would depend on who is still available at #13. Then if the right guy was still there I think I would make that deal. Thomas would start at SF for us and Johnson is a solid enough center to get by with. Hopefully we could draft a good center at #13. So to me I would have to wait to see how the draft unfolds before I would make that deal. Also I would have to see how Nazr and especially Leon are progressing.

I wouldve counter-offered Milwaukee. I like Tim Thomas and accept Earvin Johnson, but wouldve asked for Anthony Mason rather than Caffey.

I know that changes the deal significantly and maybe removes Johnson, but Mason adds the toughness element that the Hawks lack, plus I dont think he really fits Milwaukee unless they alter their roster, which they intend to do.

Johnson is a shot blocker if nothing else, again something sorely lacking from the Hawks interior. He does have to be included if we give up Theo.

Kukoc wouldnt justify Thomas and Mason so we would have to sweeten the deal a bit by adding Alan Henderson which I think is a fair trade-off.

so my counter wouldve been: Theo, Kukoc, Hendu for Thomas, Mason, Johnson and #13 - Frank Williams.

I wouldn't have done it either. Sure, Tim Thomas is a good player, but he's never proven he can be a consistent scorer. If Theo is really back, we'd be giving up a lot for Tim and scrubbs.

I think the Mil GM was silly to trade with the Knicks like that. He obviously overvalues New York players and undervalues Atl players. That's nothing new though...

I was on vacation for five days, and when I returned, the deal with NYK was done.

MIL response to me re: Mason was that George Karl does NOT want to part with him as he brings the only accountability to the team from the players side.

If Chris Marcus was in this draft, he might have been there at 13, and I would have been more likely to do the deal on the spot, but again, there was little time for me to negotiate.

I had a deal on the table that would have sent Glover and a future first rounder to ORL for Jeryl Sasser and the #18 pick.

However, Orlando did this deal...

Bulls trade:

Marcus Fizer, Fred Hoiberg, Trenton Hassell, #30 and #45

Orlando trade:

Mike Miller, Sasser and #18

Thoughts?

I wouldve done the Orlando deal. Sasser is a nice project - 6'6 PG - to work with while gaining #18 to be used on Tayshaun Prince.

I think teams are bluffing on Tayshaun Prince - no way he falls out of the 1st. I think he will even go before the Europeans, even so, mark my words, its happened the last few years consecutively.

Paul Pierce

Mo Pete

Brendan Haywood

Shane Battier

When will they learn not to punish guys for staying 4 years in quality programs???

I think they are callling Sasser a bust in orlando, aren't they?

If you are going to pick at 18, why take Prince when you can have Grizzard or the french guy whats his name Diaw. Im not saying that prince won't be better than them, but he is not projected in the top 20.

I'd PROBABLY do it. I don't think I could take seeing us giving up a #18/Glover for a lottery pick/Sasser, particularly when I'm not sold on Sasser at all and when I think Glover still COULD become a quality player. To me, the trade would be all about Glover and the #18. In other words, do I think I could find a player at #18 who I would rather have than Glover? The answer: Maybe!

As for the Orlando/Chicago deal, GREAT trade for Chicago! It MIGHT be okay for Orlando as well depending on the health of Grant Hill but I think I could get a LOT more than Fizer/Hoiberg/ Hassell/two 2nd rounders for Miller/#18. Miller/#18/filler would probably get them Van Horn.