• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Darkhorse for the Head Coaching spot.

KB21

David McDavid is a top notch salesman. He knows how to get in touch with the people and market his product towards their needs and wants. His biggest task as the Atlanta Hawks new owner will be to sell this team to a city of fans that has seemingly forgotten about team. How will he do this?

One thing we do know about David McDavid from his history is that he is a down to earth kind of guy who will put his lifeblood into his business ventures. I expect him to do the very same with the Atlanta Hawks. We have also heard whispers of his desire to hire a high profile coach and an experienced general manager.

Again, how is he going to create interest in the team by the city's estranged fans? One school of thought is to hire the high profile coach like a George Karl. It would be a signal that the team is doing what it can to win now. Another thought would be to hire the high profile coach that has the nostalgic factor in Mike Fratello. Is Fratello enough to bring fans into the seats? He could go for a high profile assistant, like a Dennis Johnson. I really doubt that will create a stir in the city about the Hawks.

Then, he could go the unconvential route and take the darkhorse candidate. There is one move McDavid could make that will create an instant stir among the fans of the Hawks. It would be a very risky move though. It would be a move that may not turn out to be the best of basketball decisions, but for the short term, it may well be a great business decision.

The one guy that McDavid could hire as the head coach that would create more buzz in the city than any other candidate is Dominique Wilkins.

Now, I can hear all of you saying it. "Dominique has no coaching experience at all. He hasn't paid his dues yet. He wasn't exactly the type of player that you think would be a head coach in the future."

All of that is true, which is what would make this move a very risky move. BUT, Dominique Wilkins is Atlanta Hawks basketball. He's the first name that comes out of people's mouths when the Atlanta Hawks are brought up. He is one and possibly the only guy that could bring the fans back to the Arena.

There are a lot of Hawks fans that have never forgiven this team for what they did to Dominique Wilkins back in 1993-94. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those fans will come back if this move was made, at least for the time being.

Who knows if Dominique will ever be a good coach? He could possibly tarnish his legend as an Atlanta Hawk if he fails as a head coach. How would you like to be the guy who fired Dominique the coach in Atlanta?

We will never know unless he is given the chance.

Now, I'm not necessarily I would support this move, but I wouldn't necessarily thumb my nose at it. I've maintained that the best move for the Hawks is to hire Fratello and let Dominique learn the trade under him. It would be very interesting to see Dominique get this job, non-the-less.

I think the best move to get a proven head coach that will not take any BS. Build the team the way he wants it and start with an identity.

I am like an earlier poster....While I wouldn't hire Nique as a head coach, I wouldn't necesarilly thumb my nose either at his hiring. But again I would go with a proven coach right now.

done lately to even warrant consideration? All he has done over the last 3 years is alienate all of his players and put underachieivng teams on the floor. He even led the USA basketball team to its worst finish EVER while alienating guys like Jermaine O'Neal and Paul Pierce. No thanks. Karl's ego is every bit as big as Lenny's was, if not bigger. I'd MUCH rather keep Stotts than to bring in Karl.

As for the Nique suggestion, I just don't think he's ready to be a head coach. He definitely deserves a shot to be on the bench but he needs some experience before I would commit to him as a head coach.

Fratello would be more than okay with me and from the apparently available candidates, he would be right near the top of my preferences along with Carlisle. Dennis Johnson wouldn't thrill me but I'd rather have him than Karl. I'd even take Kenny Smith before Karl.

He's won.

He's had 12 straight years of seasons where his teams have been .500 or above.

He's taken two teams to the conference finals, and took the Sonics to the Finals. His teams in Seattle averaged 60 wins a season.

The guy has a great resume. It's a better resume than what Lenny Wilkens had when we hired him.