• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Could Have Had Barbosa

ATLHawks10

The Phoenix Suns confirmed that they did inquire about a possible sign and trade with the Hawks for forward Josh Childress before Childress left for Greece, the East Valley Tribune is reporting.

The Suns did have the $8 million trade exception from the Kurt Thomas trade with Seattle to work with (which expired on July 21), but the deal almost certainly would have included either Leandro Barbosa or Boris Diaw in an attempt to balance the contract and keep the Suns from taking a further luxury tax hit.

Childress' asking price was higher than the Suns anticipated, and Atlanta was cold on the idea of a sign and trade, leaving the deal dead before it got off the ground.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/538..._for_childress/

Original reports said nothing other teams were offering in a sign and trade for Childress would crack into the Hawks rotation. Barbosa isn't the greatest player on the face of the Earth, but he has great speed and athletecism. He could have fit in well with our young athletic team and we wouldn't have lost Childress for nothing. If we would have acquired Barbosa it would make the Evans signing be better since he would then be our 7th/8th man instead of being our 6th man now. Championship contending teams continue to build and add proven talent (like the Rockets acquiring Artest).

Sekou Smith said he believed the Hawks had reached a point of no return with Josh Smith (meaning only options are sign and trade or Smith signing the 1 yr/3.2 million deal). Players of Josh Smith's caliber (actually I think Smith is better than all the other restricted free agents that have already signed but for the sake of argument we will say they are equal) are getting 11-12 million per yer. We are telling Smith he is only worth 9 million. How can we receive equal value for a guy that the market deems a 12 million per yer player but we view as 9 million player. Teams won't overpay us for Smith because we are not in much of a position of power (although we should be since he is restricted) because we have angered Smith.

The Hawks can't let this hang in the air until late August because it puts us behind the rest of the teams in the league. They should apologize to Smith and offer him a fair market value of 12 million annually. The guy is only 22 and is contiunuing to improve! Pay up ASG! :angry:

Edited by ATLHawks10

Barbosa makes $6 million and Diaw makes $9 million so I don't see how we could have gotten either of those players in a SnT for Childress unless we included Speedy or Zaza.

I am also skeptical that they would have traded us Barbosa considering that he is arguably a better player than Childress is and would have apparently cost less than what Childress wanted.

Barbosa tends to do his own thing on the court...tough to reign him in ... and with the language barrier...with D'antoni gone, even phoenix cant fit him in...imagine woodys attempt to have him slow down, would have made for some funny a** expressions and antics by him trying to punch through the language barrier and Woody offense mental block :P

Edited by hussamga

• Premium Member
but the deal almost certainly would have included either Leandro Barbosa or Boris Diaw

I like Barbosa, too.

But what in this part of that sentence says concretely that the Hawks could have had Barbosa? First, "almost certainly" is a clue, and second "or" is another that the reporter himself feels less certain than to agree that "the Hawks could have had Barbosa."

Barbosa makes $6 million and Diaw makes $9 million so I don't see how we could have gotten either of those players in a SnT for Childress unless we included Speedy or Zaza.

I am also skeptical that they would have traded us Barbosa considering that he is arguably a better player than Childress is and would have apparently cost less than what Childress wanted.

Don't forget their trade exception.

The Suns did have the $8 million trade exception from the Kurt Thomas trade with Seattle to work with

That would allow them to take on additional salary, but it doesn't help us with Childress being BYC, right?

Our end stays the same. We would only be able to take back half of Childress' salary. But I believe the trade exception gives them much more flexibility on their end.

Obviously other players would have to be included.

Obviously other players would have to be included.

And that's the problem area for me as I don't believe we can just throw in Zaza as part of a deal because we would really have no front court depth. I probably would have thrown in Speedy, but I don't know that they would be willing to give Childress a fat contract and take on Speedy since the Suns aren't usually known for being big time spenders.