• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Feeling Of Doom...

ATL_BALLER

Just as some of you have related, I'm just waiting to wake up any day now and see the breaking news that we've shipped our precious Smoove away for parts, with the ASG commenting that it was designed to give us [insert deluded or manipulative rationale]. Nevermind that they told us to stick with this franchise through the losing, because they intended to build the team the right way, adding and developing draft picks to keep and grow together; they will double-back on every word they ever said.

Their quotes have basically already written themselves.

Seriously, if they had any serious intention of resigning him, why can't they just meet his market value? Can't they just copy and paste Okafor's contract and call it a day?

Dolfan, I noticed that you are reserving judgment until this situation is officially resolved - don't you think it already has been? How can you explain it taking so long, when it is clear what the market says he deserves?

Northcyde, oh pretentious one, mock me for complaining here, but tell me, where is the silver lining in this one?

Dolfan, I noticed that you are reserving judgment until this situation is officially resolved - don't you think it already has been? How can you explain it taking so long, when it is clear what the market says he deserves?

The market can dictate whatever it wants but if there's nobody there to give him the money then what can he do? Sign the QO and lose money in the long run while having to play his best for us next year, only to risk being traded mid-season?

I think it would be horrible to lose Smoove and I hope that we keep him, but if they have offered him 6 years and 60 million or more then he needs to accept it or sign the QO offer since it appears that the ASG isn't interested in raising their offer, at least at this point. Sund has a history of having these things drag out, like a few years back with Rashard Lewis, but that ended with a mutually fair long term contract. Hopefully that is what will happen here if Smoove doesn't sign soon or the ASG doesn't raise their offer.

I just refuse to let myself get carried away by supposition. If Smith is traded and the deal sucks then I'll rant. In the meantime I'll let the agents, GM's and journalists blow their clouds of misinformation around and pay them no mind until there's concrete news one way or the other.

The market can dictate whatever it wants but if there's nobody there to give him the money then what can he do? Sign the QO and lose money in the long run while having to play his best for us next year, only to risk being traded mid-season?

From a business perspective, I know it makes sense - but isn't actually worth more to show good faith to one of the cornerstones of your rebuild, to the fans who have endured? Isn't it worth that few extra million, instead of using the leverage against him?

And why must there always be drama with this franchise? Why can't it ever be, smooth (ahem) sailing? Do you honestly expect a positive outcome here? Do you believe in the good of the ASG?

Again, I am few minutes from calling it a night, so if I'm not coherent, please pardon.

From a business perspective, I know it makes sense - but isn't actually worth more to show good faith to one of the cornerstones of your rebuild, to the fans who have endured? Isn't it worth that few extra million, instead of using the leverage against him?

And why must there always be drama with this franchise? Why can't it ever be, smooth (ahem) sailing? Do you honestly expect a positive outcome here? Do you believe in the good of the ASG?

Again, I am few minutes from calling it a night, so if I'm not coherent, please pardon.

I don't believe that they should low ball him, but if they offer him a deal for more than they have to which is line with what similar players are making then he needs to take it. I'm not saying that they have done that, but if they have then no I do not think they should offer him a few million more to make him happy as that could be the difference between keeping one of our other young players and losing them. This signing is critical for us as it sets a basis for what Marvin, Horford, and Acie can ask for. If he overpay for Smoove then they will expect to be overpaid as well.

The big thing I am getting from all of this is that the ASG doesn't want Smoove back at all costs. I don't think that they view him in the same stature that they viewed JJ a few years back and certainly not now and whether that's fair or not, I don't know, but that's the impression I am getting from the ASG. If Smoove feels that he is worth what JJ is making and the ASG doesn't, then it stands to reason that they should wait as long as possible to do something.

I just refuse to let myself get carried away by supposition. If Smith is traded and the deal sucks then I'll rant. In the meantime I'll let the agents, GM's and journalists blow their clouds of misinformation around and pay them no mind until there's concrete news one way or the other.

Nice post.