• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Believe It Or Not....

Diesel

• Premium Member

nba_g_mwilliams2_195.jpg

Marvin still remains the most idealized and lied about player on this board.

You know, you would expect that from somebody like Solo or West whom many people have not seen. However, we've had 3 years of Marvin. He's not making large leaps at all. I'm sure Walt or Exodus can compare tendex or PERs for Marvin and I'm sure that there's not much growth taking place. Well, maybe a little but nothing as significant as the hopes of this board.

I watched Marvin start off the season strong and just take a belly flop from late Jan to May.

Now, there's no Chillz. Now, we have a PG. Now, there are no more excuses...

I don't expect much.

Yet,

I can always come to HS and read where somebody talks about MARVIN WILL hit more 3 pters...

Marvin will be more than a glorified midrange shooter.

Marvin will blah blah blah and blah blah blah.

It's year 4. He's been a starter with 30+ minutes over the last 2 years. Why are we hoping so strong?

• Premium Member
We hope for the best in him because it eases our pain in not taking Chris Paul or Deron Williams

That's the problem.

We're closing our eyes and lying to ourselves when we really need to take focus on reality and man up.

Diesel, what is your prescription?

I know your description by now but what should we do about it?

The fact of the matter is that Marv is an average SF in the league and projects to be slightly above average for his career. I'd like to trade him for a better player (Mike Miller), or even depth (a package from Portland centering around Fernandez/Webster and Pryz/Frye) but the other team has to agree with that. If they don't want to trade for Marv because they, like us, don't believe he has superstar potential, than we will keep Marv and he will be an average SF.

You can't ask a player to be better than they can be just because you made a terrible draft decision. I don't think Marv can be better than he is, at least not at this point. He isn't a) skilled b) athletic or c) coordinated enough to be a true star so why ask him to be? Just be content with the fact that he can be an average role player and he seems to be OK with that.

nba_g_mwilliams2_195.jpg

You know, you would expect that from somebody like Solo or West whom many people have not seen. However, we've had 3 years of Marvin. He's not making large leaps at all. I'm sure Walt or Exodus can compare tendex or PERs for Marvin and I'm sure that there's not much growth taking place. Well, maybe a little but nothing as significant as the hopes of this board.

I watched Marvin start off the season strong and just take a belly flop from late Jan to May.

I don't expect much.

Yet,

I can always come to HS and read where somebody talks about MARVIN WILL hit more 3 pters...

Marvin will be more than a glorified midrange shooter.

Marvin will blah blah blah and blah blah blah.

It's year 4. He's been a starter with 30+ minutes over the last 2 years. Why are we hoping so strong?

Yeah, your ability to see potential is so legendary that we should all just give up hope on Marvin now. I mean you saw all along that a young T Mac would never be anything because he was just "Vince Carter's shadow" and you also saw all along that Shawn Marion would never be anything because he was just the "Putback King." You saw all that great talent and skill in Shelden "The Landlord" Williams and you wanted us to invest big money in the likes of Adonal Foyle and Erick Dampier. Why would anyone doubt you with that history of accuracy?

nba_g_mwilliams2_195.jpg

Okay? So what is your point? Marvin over Paul and Deron was a mistake. We all know that. I knew that on draft night as I was one of the few here who wanted Paul.. I watched them both play in college and it didn't take a basketball expert to see which one was better..But that is all water under the bridge.... I can't remember anyone on this board "idolizing" Marvin. Most of us just simply hope for the best.

Marvin's PER has improved a little bit in each of his first three years, from 12.24 his rookie year to 14.53 last year. Not much, but at least he's been improving. I've pretty much given up hope for him to do anything but maybe make an all-star team once or twice in his career at best (and that looks like wishful thinking at this point), but I'm still hoping he'll at least become a solid starter. His first two months last season were great - if he could stay at that level for an entire year he'd be a significant contributor. Unfortunately, for two months last season he was also horrendous, so who knows what the deal is with him.

Marvin's PER has improved a little bit in each of his first three years, from 12.24 his rookie year to 14.53 last year. Not much, but at least he's been improving. I've pretty much given up hope for him to do anything but maybe make an all-star team once or twice in his career at best (and that looks like wishful thinking at this point), but I'm still hoping he'll at least become a solid starter. His first two months last season were great - if he could stay at that level for an entire year he'd be a significant contributor. Unfortunately, for two months last season he was also horrendous, so who knows what the deal is with him.

Marvin making and All-Star team?

What are you smoking? The guys is an average player at best. I doubt he will ever be considered a very good player. I think his personality is just to laid back. Has a dumb a** grin on his face way to much after he makes a stupid mistake. The guy needs to play like his balls are on the chopping blocks. But I don't think he will ever have the passion of an Al Horford.

Hawk88

And, believe it or not, its another Marvin hate thread from Big Diesel!

Seriously, we are hoping stronger now because Marvin is IT for SF on the team. Chillz is gone and Mo Evans is a 2. He has to step up-he has no choice. Before, JC/JS/JJ were picking up the slack.

• Premium Member
Diesel, what is your prescription?

I know your description by now but what should we do about it?

The fact of the matter is that Marv is an average SF in the league and projects to be slightly above average for his career. I'd like to trade him for a better player (Mike Miller), or even depth (a package from Portland centering around Fernandez/Webster and Pryz/Frye) but the other team has to agree with that. If they don't want to trade for Marv because they, like us, don't believe he has superstar potential, than we will keep Marv and he will be an average SF.

You can't ask a player to be better than they can be just because you made a terrible draft decision. I don't think Marv can be better than he is, at least not at this point. He isn't a) skilled b) athletic or c) coordinated enough to be a true star so why ask him to be? Just be content with the fact that he can be an average role player and he seems to be OK with that.

For starters, the multitude needs to be honest about Marvin and stop lying to ourselves. I'm more hopeful of Evans coming in and making an impact that Marvin. However, it pains me to hear day after day, lie after lie. And if Marvin sniffs double figures in a game, people crowd around like he's done something to be celebrated. Too many parades on HS for stuff that doesn't deserve a parade.

So for starters, let's promote more honest.

Second, keep in mind that there are possible deals out there and be open minded. The one thing I would hate to see is Marvin hijack the franchise next offseason.

• Premium Member
Yeah, your ability to see potential is so legendary that we should all just give up hope on Marvin now. I mean you saw all along that a young T Mac would never be anything because he was just "Vince Carter's shadow" and you also saw all along that Shawn Marion would never be anything because he was just the "Putback King." You saw all that great talent and skill in Shelden "The Landlord" Williams and you wanted us to invest big money in the likes of Adonal Foyle and Erick Dampier. Why would anyone doubt you with that history of accuracy?

I don't know why Trace...

I was also the one that told you that Marvin and Bogut would be nothing special and that CP3 and Deron would be the PGs of the future!!

I was the one that told you that we would regret taking another Sf when we had 5 of them on the roster.

I was the one who said that we should draft ACC player of the year Josh Howard over Boris Diaw.

I was also the one that told you that Jason Terry would never be a PG in this league.

AS for as Foyle and Dampiere and Shelden for that matter... When you got Old a** Kevin Willis playing C or washed up Lorenzen Wright starting, why not?

And about Marion... Do you want him now?

I admit to being wrong about Tmac, but he has to get out of the first round of the POs.

So why do people doubt me? I don't know??