• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My thoughts on retaining Stotts and Knight.

KB21

In the long run, this is something that could pan out really well. I feel Knight has a good pedigree for being a general manager, and I am glad we are keeping him. He seems to have a vision for what he wants to see this team become, and I'm glad he's getting a chance to put that vision in motion. With Stotts, I feel he is a good up and coming coach who did enough during his 65 games to warrant keeping the job. Terry Stotts obviously has enough respect around the league that he can get an interview for two head coaching positions while being an interim head coach.

I like what Stotts wants to do offensively and defensively. He likes to push the ball up the floor and run offensively while running an aggressive, trapping style of defense. I think this style fits the what the Hawks have sans Robinson especially.

Now, what I don't like about this is the fact that the Hawks did nothing more than extend their interim status in a sense. There isn't a sense of commitment here. These are one year deals, and I don't want to go into next offseason not knowing who is going to be running the team and coaching the team. So, in a sense, we've only extended the unstability of this team.

the same. They are still lame ducks. Unless they unexpectedly get us in the playoffs in 04/05, watch them get axed just in time for us to make a big splash with a new coach, a new GM and new players in 05/06, just as we have the caproom to really make some moves. Actually, Knight MIGHT survive but unless we make the playoffs in 04/05, Stotts is definitely screwed.

This deal had to happen because AOL can no longer wait for the McDavid deal to close. They must move forward. I interpret today's news as meaning the McDavid deal is shakier than ever. I assume they move forward and ink JT as well.

I sitll like the zone's prediction that a deal with McDavid will be announced, but it will have little cash and lots of very funky and creative financing. The league will veto the deal.

• Premium Member

That's my feeling too.

I think McDavid will get vetoed by the league. I think it was somewhat a plan of AOL to keep the franchise by saying we got a seller but the deal didn't go through. Kasten gets a little time to make a profit.

What if Stan Kasten got permission from McDavid to go ahead and hire Knight and Stotts. I will agree that I think this means the deal will take a little longer and McDavid realized we were losing out on Free Agents and losing assistant coaches because we have no stability. So maybe McDavid broke his pride for the better of the team.

• Premium Member

I think this is what's happening.

McDavid can't afford the deal.

AOL and McDavid are trying creative ways to make the deal work.

AOL/TW knows that the deal will be cut down by the NBA.

Kasten is waiting for his chance and when the deal goes down in flames, he will step up with Turner's group and make an offer for Hawks/Phil/Braves.

If Kasten and Turner take back over, what we will see is a return to old ways. Stotts might be given a larger contract. Knight might be kept on. Kasten will help Baby sit the team thorugh 2005.

I really think this is the way that it's headed.