• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lol, Kimbo got exposed

BigDirty

Ken Shamrock couldn't fight because he was "injured", so Seth Petruzelli replaced him in the main event and TKO'ed Kimbo in ~15 seconds. :laughing5:

EDIT: I guess Elite XC is dead now.

Kimbo sure went down like a punk in this fight no doubt ... but why would EliteXC be dead? They're numbers have blown away UFC on these Saturday Night main events and they're getting better and better fighters.

They've lost $56 million the last two years and Kimbo is BY FAR their most popular fighter. It's no use if you have skillful fighters that can't draw. The CBS deal was already in danger before the fight. And aren't UFC shows on cable? You can't compare cable to network ratings.

They've lost $56 million the last two years and Kimbo is BY FAR their most popular fighter. It's no use if you have skillful fighters that can't draw. The CBS deal was already in danger before the fight. And aren't UFC shows on cable? You can't compare cable to network ratings.

Where are you getting your numbers from? I just read an interview with Dana White where he was saying how successful EliteXC has been (even though he hates them). EliteXC has broken all the viewing records with their saturday night fight and to answer your question no they aren't usually on CBS, they are usually on Showtime and still draw pretty well I believe.

I should also add that they are about to sign Ortiz and possibly Couture as well.

Some article I read yesterday mentioned the $56 million number, I don't know how credible that article was, but I don't think the writer simply made that number up.

Ortiz could be a draw, but he's also past his prime (not washed up, but past his prime) and I really don't need to see another Ortiz-Shamrock (doesn't matter which one) fight.

Couture just returned to UFC, so I would be surprised if he signed with Elite XC in the near future and they don't have any exciting opponents for him anyway (only Fedor if they continue working with Affliction, but I read rumours that UFC plans a Fedor-Couture fight in Europe).

The card yesterday was good, but they need more draws.

Kimbo just lost a lot of his appeal.

Shamrocks are way past their prime.

Gina might lose against that Cyborg lady.

Ortiz has to wait a few months before his next fight.

Shields is good, but do people pay (or at least go out of their way) to see him? I don't think so.

Some article I read yesterday mentioned the $56 million number, I don't know how credible that article was, but I don't think the writer simply made that number up.

Ortiz could be a draw, but he's also past his prime (not washed up, but past his prime) and I really don't need to see another Ortiz-Shamrock (doesn't matter which one) fight.

Couture just returned to UFC, so I would be surprised if he signed with Elite XC in the near future and they don't have any exciting opponents for him anyway (only Fedor if they continue working with Affliction, but I read rumours that UFC plans a Fedor-Couture fight in Europe).

The card yesterday was good, but they need more draws.

Kimbo just lost a lot of his appeal.

Shamrocks are way past their prime.

Gina might lose against that Cyborg lady.

Ortiz has to wait a few months before his next fight.

Shields is good, but do people pay (or at least go out of their way) to see him? I don't think so.

That number could be correct, it just seems to contradict what I've heard so that's why I was wondering about it. Keep in mind that the UFC lost a ton of money it's first few years as well and they almost had to kill it off. That article I read by Dana White was in Playboy 2 months ago and it was an excellent read about their (and MMA's) history.

Ortiz is certainly past his prime, but he's always a draw.

Kimbo just lost a lot of his appeal. - agreed, although I expect he'll be back. It wasn't like he got dominated so he could rebound from that.

Shamrocks are way past their prime. - definitely agreed, although a Frank vs Ken Shamrock fight would be a big draw

Gina might lose against that Cyborg lady. - Gina could definitely lose that fight and right now she could be the biggest draw in EliteXC.

Ortiz has to wait a few months before his next fight. - they are talking about a PPV event next year so I could see that being his 1st fight.

Shields is good, but do people pay (or at least go out of their way) to see him? I don't think so. - Shields is definitely good but no he's not a huge draw

Elite XC has several other good fighters though, like KJ Noons who just dominates his opponents and somehow he hasn't gotten on the Saturday Night Fights yet. He's the champ in his division and has beaten some pretty good fighters. Then there is Antonio Silva who is a freaking monster out there at 265 and their heavyweight champ. Unlike Kimbo he actually knows how to fight in the Octagon. I think EliteXC was trying to protect Kimbo by not letting him fight Silva (11-1) or Bret Rogers (8-0) because both of them would destroy Kimbo. The last really good fighter that I know of Robbie Lawler who could beat most guys at 185 lbs

As far as Kimbo goes, I really thought that training with Boss Ruton all this time that he'd have improved but he really hasn't and if that's the end of Kimbo I wouldn't be disappointed as I think there are other guys that deserve a shot at the main event. I could easily see Carano and Cyborg being the main event and that would draw a ton of people.

Problem is though that Silva is suspended for a year (why didn't they strip him of the title?) and Noons was stripped of the title because he didn't want to defend it.

By the way am I the only one who doesn't understand why there are promotions in MMA? I mean the only people really profiting from such a system are the league owners (and some fighters that might not get their deserved title shot if it was like boxing). Top Fighters should get more money if everything was like in boxing and "dream fights" like Fedor-Couture could happen easier if there were no leagues (the two camps would only have to agree to the set of rules). In my opinion it doesn't make sense to have promotions in one-on-one sports.

Problem is though that Silva is suspended for a year (why didn't they strip him of the title?) and Noons was stripped of the title because he didn't want to defend it.

What? When did those things happen? I'll admit that I don't actively follow MMA but those are pretty shocking developments to me, especially Noons.

Edit - okay so I went and checked and you're definitely right, Noons was stripped of his title because he didn't want to defend it against that scumbag Nick Diaz. That surprises me because he's a better fighter than Nick and they hate each other. I think this is an awful decision for him.

Silva was suspended for a failed drug test (steroids) which isn't a huge shock that he has used them since he looks like a guy that has used them quite a bit. It's a definite shame though.