• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks brush aside trust issues in fast start

Vesper

Hawks Brush Aside

Hawks brush aside trust issues in fast start

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Any doubt about whether the Hawks trust each other was answered at crunch time of Wednesday’s win in New Orleans.

With the game on the line, the Hawks swung the ball from side to side repeatedly until they found the shot they wanted.

RELATED STORIES

* Hawks brush aside trust issues in fast start

* Undefeated Hawks upend Hornets

* Hawks' Woodson celebrates Obama victory

More Hawks coverage

It didn’t matter who took the shot, only that it was a good one.

And to think that a year ago this team, 3-0 heading into tonight’s game against Toronto at Philips Arena, had trust issues.

“If you ask me that’s the biggest difference between last year and now,” Marvin Williams said, “we trust each other, and [Hawks captain and All-Star] Joe [Johnson] really trusts us. It’s got to be hard when you’re a veteran, an All-Star, playing with young guys.

“But he stuck with us last year and now he’s trusting us more than ever and that makes us even more dangerous.”

Dangerous is one way of describing a Hawks team that has so much trust in each other that starting point guard Mike Bibby wasn’t on the floor down the stretch against the Hornets.

Reserve guard Flip Murray played in his place, scoring nine of his 14 points during a crucial stretch that saw the Hawks erase a four-point deficit.

“That’s the ultimate sign of trust to me,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. “That’s huge. And it doesn’t matter who is in the game. When you get to that point, where you trust each other, where you realize we didn’t even have our point guard in the game. How much trust is that? And you had guys stepping up making plays. That’s the sign of a team that’s growing.”

Murray wasn’t around last year, neither was Mo Evans. So they don’t have any knowledge of the frayed relations that resulted from Johnson’s public plea for more veteran help on the eve of last season.

Johnson’s desire for more veteran help upset some of his younger teammates and a team meeting was called to clear the air. But that locker room powwow did more damage than good, as the Hawks went from competitive to struggling — until Bibby came over at the February trade deadline.

Murray said all that is in the past. Besides, in a marathon 82-game season, the Hawks have no choice but to rely on each other, the way they did in New Orleans.

“We’ve got to have trust in each other because we have to get the right shot,” Murray said. “That ball has to swing around until somebody gets a better shot. And we have to have confidence in our teammates to shoot that ball. That’s what we’re practicing for. That’s why guys are sticking around after practice together shooting all the time. We have to have trust in everybody to make big shots.”

Woodson is glad to see this team take yet another step in its collective maturation process, a step that alleviates some of the pressure Johnson has been under the past three years as the Hawks’ lone go-to-guy with the game on the line.

“I just think we’re starting to grow as a basketball team,” he said. “We’re playing for one another. And that’s what it’s all about. It’s not who plays all of the minutes. It’s what you do with the minutes you get. Trying to stress that and trying to get the players to believe that means a lot in terms of trying to get players to win in this league.

“If you play two minutes you better make sure it’s the hardest two minutes that you play to help your team.”

Johnson’s desire for more veteran help upset some of his younger teammates and a team meeting was called to clear the air. But that locker room powwow did more damage than good, as the Hawks went from competitive to struggling — until Bibby came over at the February trade deadline.

That's quite an interesting piece of info. Did we hear anything about this doing more damage than good last year? I thought we got an article from Sekou about how that helped us and all that good stuff.

That's quite an interesting piece of info. Did we hear anything about this doing more damage than good last year? I thought we got an article from Sekou about how that helped us and all that good stuff.

His quote is wrong. JJ's comments were released before the season started, and we proceeded to knock off Dallas in the first game of the season. We knocked off PHX 2 games later. As usual we had a brutal start to the season.

His quote is wrong. JJ's comments were released before the season started, and we proceeded to knock off Dallas in the first game of the season. We knocked off PHX 2 games later. As usual we had a brutal start to the season.

I remember there being a players only meeting to discuss this but I thought it was after the season started. I'll see if I can find something about it since most of Sekous' articles are posted here.