• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nice things said by ESPN

crimedog

Jalen has been a Hawks supporter all season and Stein generally waits for a team to be good before proclaiming that he believes in them, still though, good to see the recognition. If we can play .500 ball through the Josh injury, I think people will have to start calling us second-tier contenders when he gets back.

Jamicah (Atlanta,GA): Are the Atlanta Hawks legit contenders to boston in the eastern conference?

John Hollinger: Whoa now ... I'm getting a lot of Hawks-related mail with subject headings involving words like "how's the crow taste" and "now you know" ... Yes, Atlanta looks way, way, WAY better defensively than we had any reason to expect, and they've played as well as anyone in the league through five games. But legit contenders is getting ahead of ourselves ... let's see how they play this week without Josh.

Gary (New York) : Kobe for Defensive Player of the Year?

John Hollinger: Gotta see the Lakers in person before I can even get near answering that one. I think Josh Smith might have my early vote, but now he's laid up for a month

Brett (ATL): Fip Murray has looked really impressive bring spark off the bench for the hawks in the first 5 games. is this for real? I see to remember a hot streak for him early on with the sonics 2 or 3 years ago too.

Marc Stein: I've had the same thoughts. He's shooting about 84 percent from the field when I've had the Hawks on so far, but he's got to do it for a full season. That said, Atlanta has been a great story. We'll see how they handle this Josh Smith deal, but if you're a Hawks fan you should find Stephen A's recent sitdown with the Boston Big 3 and hear how they talk about Atlanta and the playoff atmosphere there. Very interesting.

(Jalen Rose)

• Atlanta Hawks (5-0)

This team is growing up, and the young players are contributing. Josh Smith is one of great defenders in the game, Al Horford is showing himself to be a consistent young big man who can score, rebound and play defense. Joe Johnson is an all-around talent -- one of only handful guys in the game that can start at the 1, 2, or 3 and still be just as effective at any of them. Off the bench, Flip Murray has given them positive contributions.

The pitfall in the short term is going to be Smith's health. While he recovers from an ankle sprain, the Hawks will miss him.

I think we still need to wait and see on this team. They want to prove to themselves. Last season's 37-win team showed it can compete in playoffs -- now the challenge is to have the energy and competitive drive to secure a better playoff seed.

• Premium Member
Joe Johnson is an all-around talent -- one of only handful guys in the game that can start at the 1, 2, or 3 and still be just as effective at any of them.

I have a feeling that Joe is strong enough that he might be able to guard some smaller 4's when he gets 'longer in the tooth.' No reason to do that now, but his versatility is astounding.

Jamicah (Atlanta,GA): Are the Atlanta Hawks legit contenders to boston in the eastern conference?

John Hollinger: Whoa now ... I'm getting a lot of Hawks-related mail with subject headings involving words like "how's the crow taste" and "now you know" ... Yes, Atlanta looks way, way, WAY better defensively than we had any reason to expect, and they've played as well as anyone in the league through five games. But legit contenders is getting ahead of ourselves ... let's see how they play this week without Josh.

Agreed, way too early to start with that talk, but it's nice that our fans are thinking it and it's not getting a rude comment in return.

Gary (New York) : Kobe for Defensive Player of the Year?

John Hollinger: Gotta see the Lakers in person before I can even get near answering that one. I think Josh Smith might have my early vote, but now he's laid up for a month

Way to go Hollinger! This has certainly been the best overall defensive performance we have seen from Smoove game in and game out in his career and it's nice to get that recognition, even if it's early on and from a guy who probably watches us more than he watches any other team.

Brett (ATL): Fip Murray has looked really impressive bring spark off the bench for the hawks in the first 5 games. is this for real? I see to remember a hot streak for him early on with the sonics 2 or 3 years ago too.

Marc Stein: I've had the same thoughts. He's shooting about 84 percent from the field when I've had the Hawks on so far, but he's got to do it for a full season. That said, Atlanta has been a great story. We'll see how they handle this Josh Smith deal, but if you're a Hawks fan you should find Stephen A's recent sitdown with the Boston Big 3 and hear how they talk about Atlanta and the playoff atmosphere there. Very interesting.

Does anyone have a video of this interview with the Boston Big 3?

I have a feeling that Joe is strong enough that he might be able to guard some smaller 4's when he gets 'longer in the tooth.' No reason to do that now, but his versatility is astounding.

I dont think Joe can guard any starting 4 in the NBA. who?? I think he can score on them downlow in the post but guarding them..i dont think so lol Joe is stil very versatile!

KG: "Phillips Arena was crazy... they played as a team, Joe Johnson was playing at a top level... they made it hard for us"

I like KG because he speaks the truth. I think Celtics should thank the Hawks for playing them so tough because believe it or not I think it made them a better team too..they had to step up and play better...they had to play their best basketball

I dont think Joe can guard any starting 4 in the NBA. who?? I think he can score on them downlow in the post but guarding them..i dont think so lol Joe is stil very versatile!

In the NOH game, one thing that I thought the Hawks did that could be pretty deadly if they can continue to do it was when they guarded the Paul/West PnR, Joe would get West but be able to keep him out of the paint with all his strength and Smith would be on Paul but be enough of a threat that Paul didn't drive on him.

Joe is 6'7 235ish which makes him a very big shooting guard and a decent sized SF with a lot of body strength even if he isn't particularly explosive. If he slows down a little in a couple of years and he gets played more at SF, he'll be able to play some 6'8-6'10 PFs for short periods and hold his own because of his strength; not for a game because he'd foul out, but for stretches.

just finished running through JJ 20pt 4th quater and game 6 highlights and I feel like the players do. I want more. Man there is nothing like NBA playoff atmosphere, well maybe the NFL(go falcons) i want more of that.

just finished running through JJ 20pt 4th quater and game 6 highlights and I feel like the players do. I want more. Man there is nothing like NBA playoff atmosphere, well maybe the NFL(go falcons) i want more of that.

I didn't get to go to any of the games, actually I've never been to Philips, but from watching it on TV I can honestly say that's the loudest and intense I've ever seen an NBA arena. I don't know how many years Philips has been around now but you have to think that the architects were growing impatient waiting for a day when they could show off the acoustics of the building. The only place where I've seen it louder (or seem louder watching on TV) is probably Arrowhead back in the 90s when the Chiefs were good. The opposing team had to go with silent calls the entire game because they couldn't hear the QB.