• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves aquire Javier Vasquez

frosgrim

From the AJC:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/12/02/braves_trade_vazquez.html

He ain’t Jake Peavy, but it’s a start(er).

The Braves agreed to a trade Tuesday that will bring them veteran Chicago White Sox starting pitcher Javier Vazquez and a reliever, a person familiar with negotiations said.

In a six-player deal, the biggest Braves talent — literally and figuratively — going to Chicago is catching prospect Tyler Flowers, a 6-foot-4, 248-pound slugger who was the best power hitter in the Arizona Fall League.

The Braves were also expected to send infielder Brent Lillibridge, minor league third baseman Jon Gilmore and rookie-league lefty Santos Rodriguez to Chicago for Vazquez and lefty Boone Logan.

The deal can’t be finalized until the players pass physicals on Wednesday.

Vazquez, 32, has churned out at least 200 innings in eight of nine seasons and recorded at least 190 strikeouts in six. He slipped to 12-16 with a 4.67 ERA in 2008, after 15-8 with a 3.74 ERA in 2007.

The right-hander has a 127-129 career record and 4.32 ERA in parts of 11 seasons in the majors. He’s under contract for $11.5 million in 2009 and $11.5 million in 2010.

The Braves believe a move out of the hitter-friendly White Sox home park will help Vazquez, who has allowed 25 or more homers in six of the past seven seasons for four different teams.

Before details of the deal began to emerge, one White Sox scout said he was “praying” Chicago had gotten Flowers in the deal. White Sox general manager Kenny Williams lives in Arizona and lauded the strapping Braves prospect after seeing one of Flowers’ power-hitting displays in the fall league.

Flowers, 22, hit .387 with 12 homers and 23 RBIs in 20 fall-league games, after batting .288 with 50 extra-base hits and 88 RBIs in 122 games at Class A Myrtle Beach. With three-time All-Star catcher Brian McCann signed to a long-term contract, Flowers knew he might eventually be traded.

“I just didn’t think it would happen this soon,” the Marietta native said. “I was just talking to my parents. They’re a little upset about it, but I know it’s probably good for me, considering there’s a designated hitter [in the American League]. That’s another position I can possibly play. That’s definitely a plus.”

The Braves entered the offseason determined to sign two accomplished and reliable starting pitchers.Vazquez, steady if unspectacular, gives them the durable veteran they lacked in 2008 after injuries to John Smoltz, Tom Glavine and Tim Hudson.

The Braves continue to search for a No. 1-caliber starter. They are one of six teams in negotiations with Toronto free agent A.J. Burnett, who won 18 games and led the American League with 231 strikeouts in 2008.

The Braves and Padres have also discussed a trade for 2007 Cy Young Award winner Jake Peavy, but there have been no discussions for 3 1/2 weeks since the Braves announced they were focusing on other options after the Peavy talks stalled.

Vazquez will probably slip into Atlanta’s rotation in the No. 2 or No. 3 spot before or after Jair Jurrjens, who was 13-10 with a 3.68 ERA as a rookie in 2008.

Vazquez has won at least 10 games for nine consecutive seasons and pitched more than 200 innings in every one except 2004, when he worked 198 innings while going 14-10 for the Yankees.

Logan has a 4-4 record and 5.87 ERA in 144 relief appearances over three seasons, including a 5.95 ERA in 2008 when he faded in the second half. He carried a 1.95 ERA in 36 appearances through July 9, then gave up 21 earned runs and 30 hits in his final 19 appearances.

Lillibridge’s prospect status slipped in his rookie season when he hit .200 with one homer, eight RBIs and 23 strikeouts in 80 at-bats for Atlanta, and .220 with 90 strikeouts in 90 games for Class AAA Richmond.

Gilmore, 20, hit .337 with four homers and 31 RBIs in 67 games for rookie-league Danville, but just .186 with one extra-base hit (double) in 102 at-bats for Rome.

Rodriguez, 20, piled up 45 strikeouts in 29 innings for the Gulf Coast League Braves while going 1-2 with a 2.79 ERA and five saves in 14 games.

This trade seems OK, but not great. Flowers looks like a true power hitter, but is catcher the only position he can play? If so, then I under the trade a little more.

Vasquez is an innings eater, but he's not a top of the rotation guy, nor is he a leader. Dolfan, it looks like he played with the Yankees. Is he worth 11.5 mil?

In all, it just seems like a better pitcher could have been had for Flowers, but maybe I am over-valuing the guy.

This trade seems OK, but not great. Flowers looks like a true power hitter, but is catcher the only position he can play? If so, then I under the trade a little more.

Vasquez is an innings eater, but he's not a top of the rotation guy, nor is he a leader. Dolfan, it looks like he played with the Yankees. Is he worth 11.5 mil?

In all, it just seems like a better pitcher could have been had for Flowers, but maybe I am over-valuing the guy.

Bobby has always loved him. Going back to the Expo days. He could be just what we need.

Bobby has always loved him. Going back to the Expo days. He could be just what we need.

Glad to hear that.

Getting Vasquez away from that nut case Guillen wouldn't hurt any player. Vasquez was the guy that Ozzie called out last season to have big games in the national media. Guillen is such a jacka$$

Edited by frosgrim

Flowers can play 1st and probably plays that better than catcher. He was a shortstop growing up and played that his first 2 years in high school. His third year he moved to 3rd base and then realized his senior year the only way he would play professional ball was at 1st or catcher so he moved to catcher. Then he went off to Chipola (?) after he was drafted by the Braves because he wanted to improve his draft position. I think he stayed at Chipola 1 year but it might have been 2 before he signed with the Braves. I think the Braves ended up drafting him two separate years.

I find it funny that everyone brags about his "raw power" or whatever even though he was roiding in high school, college, and the beginning of his professional career. He is a big kid though, and being off the juice won't hurt him but its just funny to call him "raw" even though that isn't the case.

He has always drawn a lot of walks and hit for a ton of power. He is a great example of a Moneyball player, so I think once he does get into the majors he will stay there because of this.

So, do you like the trade?

Sounds like Flowers is another Giombi. Wouldn't mind having that over Kotchman.

That said, the more I think about it, the more this seems like a good trade. Bobby Cox is one of the better eyes for talent in MLB. If he thought that Flowers wouldn't be that big of impact then I have to go with Bobby's evaluation.

Second, if Bobby likes Vasquez (per Troy), then that is a good enough endorsement for me.

So, do you like the trade?

Sounds like Flowers is another Giombi. Wouldn't mind having that over Kotchman.

That said, the more I think about it, the more this seems like a good trade. Bobby Cox is one of the better eyes for talent in MLB. If he thought that Flowers wouldn't be that big of impact then I have to go with Bobby's evaluation.

Second, if Bobby likes Vasquez (per Troy), then that is a good enough endorsement for me.

The guys used to always talk about how Bobby raved over his stuff and ability to chew up innings. They mentioned it virtually every time he pitched against us. I like it. He could have a really big bounce back year. He's got 15-20 win talent. If we can add one more like a Burnett and squeeze a little more life from Smoltzie and Tommy, I think we could be in the thick of things, barring catastrophic injuries like last year.

We gave up a bunch of prospects (including Flowers who was said to be "untouchable" in Peavy discussions) for a #3 or #4 pitcher who makes a lot of money. A promising offseason has turned into a real turd. This is going to get even uglier (if we sign Burnett for too much).