• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Road ahead.

Diesel

• Premium Member
Where has Childress said he was coming back to the Hawks?

Childress gave 2 interviews on last week. One was during the Hawks Celtics game... they called him in the middle of the night.

Here are some squawkers talk about it...

Another was an interview that he gave to dime magazine.

"21. bookkwormmaster@yahoo.com says:

Hey Josh,

1st off I wanna say I am a diehard Hawks fan and you were my favorite player on that team (my game is a mixed pattern of you and Tony Parker) and I was whole-heartedly upset that they didn’t show you the love and respect that you not only deserved but damn well earned. I think had they shown you that you would be back with the team and helping us kick ass and take names in the league, money be damned. With that said I have to ask you would you consider a return to the Hawks after the season? and if not this season then after your contract overseas is up?

Well thanks my man. I appreciate the love. I am definitely open to coming back to Atlanta after the season. I loved the city and the fans. However, it’s not completely my decision. So once the season is over here, I will make my choice."

• Premium Member
We've been over this a million times, but Childress was only efficient because he limited his shots to ones he wasn't going to miss. In so doing, he hurt the Hawks' overall offense.

Marvin's offensive abilities are far more important to this team than you give him credit for, not to mention the fact that his defense has eclipsed Childress'. Plus, he still has upside.

I agree that the Hawks should explore offers for Marvin if they can bring back a big. I just don't see that happening...

I don't believe that Chillz stagnated the Hawks offense at all. The thing that has been successful for the Hawks this year and the end of last year is Bibby. Joe excels at having that other guy to play off of. Moreover, the so called replacements for Chillz?? I can't remember the last time that Mo had a good offensive game... and Flip is the offensive disruption that you try to paint Chillz as. I know your agenda is to hate Chillz but the truth of the matter is that Chillz was a great lockerroom guy, a great spirit guy, excelled in the open court, and once one guy who could get his points in the flow of our offense. Unlike Marvin, Chillz was aggressive enough to go after his own point and he would work the baseline until he was free to score. You may not like that type of offense, but it is much better than a guy who sits out on their like a sitting duck waiting for Joe to create something.

Childress gave 2 interviews on last week. One was during the Hawks Celtics game... they called him in the middle of the night.

Here are some squawkers talk about it...

Another was an interview that he gave to dime magazine.

"21. bookkwormmaster@yahoo.com says:

Hey Josh,

1st off I wanna say I am a diehard Hawks fan and you were my favorite player on that team (my game is a mixed pattern of you and Tony Parker) and I was whole-heartedly upset that they didn’t show you the love and respect that you not only deserved but damn well earned. I think had they shown you that you would be back with the team and helping us kick ass and take names in the league, money be damned. With that said I have to ask you would you consider a return to the Hawks after the season? and if not this season then after your contract overseas is up?

Well thanks my man. I appreciate the love. I am definitely open to coming back to Atlanta after the season. I loved the city and the fans. However, it’s not completely my decision. So once the season is over here, I will make my choice."

Being open to coming back doesn't mean that he will be back.

QUOTE (Chris18 @ Dec 28 2008, 02:01 PM) Josh Childress is not coming back to the Hawks.

Thats not what He says.

I think he would consider it if the situation was right.

Agreed D...I don't think there is any particular "bad blood" between the Hawks and JChillz. It was business. JC went where the money was best - and actually - the fact that it was Greece is/was in both sides' favor. He didn't diss the Hawks for another NBA team nor did he badmouth them much when he left. The Hawks were fairly innocent in the deal since they weren't bidding against another NBA team...and...the guy JC probaly dislikes the most (because he drafted MW after him) has been fired.

Of course the ASG will lowball him so you never know.

We've been over this a million times, but Childress was only efficient because he limited his shots to ones he wasn't going to miss. In so doing, he hurt the Hawks' overall offense.

Marvin's offensive abilities are far more important to this team than you give him credit for, not to mention the fact that his defense has eclipsed Childress'. Plus, he still has upside.

I agree that the Hawks should explore offers for Marvin if they can bring back a big. I just don't see that happening...

Disagree with point 1 and 2 - agree with #3

JChillz (or any athletic smart player) who moves without the ball and makes key plays never hurts your offense. With a distributing PG a guy like JC is golden - in an ISO-Joe offense he is better than the normal stand-arounders.

Agree in part - Marvin's defense is pretty good - solid I would say unless he is up against a real good/quick 3. As far as upside - I would say that is water under the bridge - age notwithstanding - you got what you got with Marvin.

Lastly - I agree that we won't see a quality big coming to us in a trade for Marvin - he isn't a game changer by any means and other teams would be silly to trade us a real 7-footer for an average 3.

• Premium Member
Being open to coming back doesn't mean that he will be back.

I think you need to re-examine this thread. when you said that Chillz IS NOT coming back to the Hawks..

I said:

Thats not what He says.

I think he would consider it if the situation was right.

I have not changed my position. Based on what he has said, coming back to the Hawks is not out of the question. Again, it depends on if the situation is right.

• Premium Member
We def. need to resign JJ. We can not let him leave this team!

That's our most important move of the upcoming offseason. This ownership team has the opportunity to do what so many have failed to do... Keep it's star player.

The Hawks would be fools to get rid of Marvin Williams.

I dont understand our front office. If the ASG is so cheap, why not use the talent we have instead of letting them sit on the bench and go to waste.

Marvin is a poor man's Scottie Pippen. There is no way i take Chillz over Marvin. Marvin is our best one on one defender. A threat from everywhere on the court this season.

I would not offer Chillz a contract unless it was a s/n trade.

Im to the point where i dont even care if we get a big man, i really dont see it happening until the ASG gets their act together.

We need to resign JJ but i bet we are going to make it harder than it is to resign him.

Disagree with point 1 and 2 - agree with #3

JChillz (or any athletic smart player) who moves without the ball and makes key plays never hurts your offense. With a distributing PG a guy like JC is golden - in an ISO-Joe offense he is better than the normal stand-arounders.

Agree in part - Marvin's defense is pretty good - solid I would say unless he is up against a real good/quick 3. As far as upside - I would say that is water under the bridge - age notwithstanding - you got what you got with Marvin.

Lastly - I agree that we won't see a quality big coming to us in a trade for Marvin - he isn't a game changer by any means and other teams would be silly to trade us a real 7-footer for an average 3.

1)BIGS just don't come around often.

develope Solo/Zaza and wait for FAgency.

2) Marvin is looking like he may beast.

keep him.

3) No doubt Chillz is/will continue to improve.

Sign him.

4) Use Speedy's contract and Mo's last year with a #1 for someone better than Law

Sergo, Rudy, Sessions...ect

5) Resign Flip

The guys fed off his machismo. His "take no prisoner" attitude is the difference we see.

• Premium Member
Marvin is a poor man's Scottie Pippen.

You know Tony.... You were doing OK until you lost all credibility with this statement. Let's get some honesty out of you Tony... You didn't watch basketball during the Jordan - Pippen era... either that or you don't watch basketball now. I doubt that even the strongest Marvin Nuthugger would fail to agree with you and your statement that Marvin is a Poor man's Pippen. When you say that a guy is a poor man's anything.. that means that somewhere in his game, he's similar. Like Ron Harper in the beginning of his career was called a poor man's Jordan. That's because Harper used to scorer and break down defenses similar to the way that Jordan did it. Plus, Cleveland's fan base needed someone to look to that could erase the memories of Jordan's shot over Ehlo.

But back to Marvin "Poor Man's Pippen" Williams. :laughing5:

Tell me Tony, how is he similar to Pippen?

Maybe it's because Pippen was drafted by Seattle and Marvin is from Seattle? :question:

Maybe it because Pippen played at Central Arkansas and Joe played at Arkansas and Marvin is his teammate? :question:

Maybe Marvin is related to "Big Harold"? :question:

If anybody is a poor man's Pippen... It's Joe. Hell, even Chillz is a closer Poor Man's Pippen than Clumsy Marvin.

1. I watched basketball during the Jordan and Pippen days.

2. I watch our team every game

3. You must haven't been watching the games lately or you would not keep calling Marvin clumsy

IMO Marvin is a poor man's Pippen. I think the only thing that's holding him back is that more of our offense is not running through him.

What reminds me of Pippen?

1. Marvin can handle the ball.

2. He can shoot the 3

3. He can attack the basket and he is finishing

4. He has a high BBIQ

5. He is our man best one on one defender

6. He can hit the mid range jumper

7. Takes care of the ball and an unselfish player

Now what makes him not like Pippen? I think you are just a Marvin hater D. All you want to do is trade him off so another team can benefit from him while we get another player thats barely better than Zaza.

• Premium Member
IMO Marvin is a poor man's Pippen. I think the only thing that's holding him back is that more of our offense is not running through him.

What reminds me of Pippen?

1. Marvin can handle the ball.

2. He can shoot the 3

3. He can attack the basket and he is finishing

4. He has a high BBIQ

5. He is our man best one on one defender

6. He can hit the mid range jumper

7. Takes care of the ball and an unselfish player

Now what makes him not like Pippen? I think you are just a Marvin hater D. All you want to do is trade him off so another team can benefit from him while we get another player thats barely better than Zaza.

Let's take your list...

1. Marvin can handle the ball. Pippen did more than just dribble two steps. Pippen ran the offense for the Bulls. Marvin cannot handle the ball that well. The next time Marvin handles the ball more than 2 steps.. let me know.

2. He can shoot the 3 Marvin started off the season a hot 47% (18/38) from three. However, for the month of Dec (8/30) = 26%. Marvin's three point shooting is proportional to how open he can get. When Flip and Mo were draining threes, nobody guards Marvin and Marvin was able to drain some too. Now that Flip and Mo have gone back to their normal ways... So has Marvin.

3. He can attack the basket and he is finishing Do you mean "Can" as you have seen him do it once or twice or do you mean it as it's something you can expect at least 2 times a game? I am led to believe you mean the former and not the latter.

4. He has a high BBIQ On our team, BBIq and $3.20 can get you a big gulp at 7-11. How exactly would you measure BBIq? Being able to play within the scheme? I mean, how often has people on this board and Hawks fans worldwide have cried for Marvin to be more aggressive. IF he was the BBIq guru that you claim, even Pippenish, he wouldn't have to be admonished to be more aggressive year by year. Somewhere in the equation, high BBIq means that you do those things that are best for your team including change parts of your game that need fixing. Hence, people say Smoove has low BBIQ because he won't stop shooting the three.

5. He is our man best one on one defender Again, on our team, that and $8.00 can get you into the movie theater. It's interesting that everybody uses these rationales that nobody can quantitate when talking about Marvin. You knew that Pippen was a good defender because he matched up with the best offensive player on the other team and shut them down. Who has Marvin shut down? Let's see: Thabo Sefalosha who averages 4pts, 3 rebs had 14 pts and 4 rebs against Marvin. Jeff Green = 18 pts, 14 rebs. Rip Halmilton = 16 pts, 1 reb. Azubuike = 13 pts, 5 rebs. Paul Pierce 18, 8. I think we could go on all day showing that nobody is getting shut down by Marvin... but again, I'm sure you have all the excuses in the world for it because the myth of Marvin's underdeterminable defense must be true.

6. He can hit the mid range jumper Yep, this is true.

7. Takes care of the ball and an unselfish player If you call quickly passes the ball off to somebody else as taking care of it... I guess this is true also.

You see... i'm not unreasonable about what Marvin can do. He is a good mid range jump shooter and he is unselfish.. even to a fault. But that doesn't make him Pippen like. Maybe he's Tim Thomas like but he's not Pippen Like.

Let's take your list...

1. Marvin can handle the ball. Pippen did more than just dribble two steps. Pippen ran the offense for the Bulls. Marvin cannot handle the ball that well. The next time Marvin handles the ball more than 2 steps.. let me know.

2. He can shoot the 3 Marvin started off the season a hot 47% (18/38) from three. However, for the month of Dec (8/30) = 26%. Marvin's three point shooting is proportional to how open he can get. When Flip and Mo were draining threes, nobody guards Marvin and Marvin was able to drain some too. Now that Flip and Mo have gone back to their normal ways... So has Marvin.

3. He can attack the basket and he is finishing Do you mean "Can" as you have seen him do it once or twice or do you mean it as it's something you can expect at least 2 times a game? I am led to believe you mean the former and not the latter.

4. He has a high BBIQ On our team, BBIq and $3.20 can get you a big gulp at 7-11. How exactly would you measure BBIq? Being able to play within the scheme? I mean, how often has people on this board and Hawks fans worldwide have cried for Marvin to be more aggressive. IF he was the BBIq guru that you claim, even Pippenish, he wouldn't have to be admonished to be more aggressive year by year. Somewhere in the equation, high BBIq means that you do those things that are best for your team including change parts of your game that need fixing. Hence, people say Smoove has low BBIQ because he won't stop shooting the three.

5. He is our man best one on one defender Again, on our team, that and $8.00 can get you into the movie theater. It's interesting that everybody uses these rationales that nobody can quantitate when talking about Marvin. You knew that Pippen was a good defender because he matched up with the best offensive player on the other team and shut them down. Who has Marvin shut down? Let's see: Thabo Sefalosha who averages 4pts, 3 rebs had 14 pts and 4 rebs against Marvin. Jeff Green = 18 pts, 14 rebs. Rip Halmilton = 16 pts, 1 reb. Azubuike = 13 pts, 5 rebs. Paul Pierce 18, 8. I think we could go on all day showing that nobody is getting shut down by Marvin... but again, I'm sure you have all the excuses in the world for it because the myth of Marvin's underdeterminable defense must be true.

6. He can hit the mid range jumper Yep, this is true.

7. Takes care of the ball and an unselfish player If you call quickly passes the ball off to somebody else as taking care of it... I guess this is true also.

You see... i'm not unreasonable about what Marvin can do. He is a good mid range jump shooter and he is unselfish.. even to a fault. But that doesn't make him Pippen like. Maybe he's Tim Thomas like but he's not Pippen Like.

1.Well you can throw that out the window. We dont have an offense to run. I can run our offense..dribble and pass to Joe. Not to hard.

2.Are you telling me Marvin was getting his points off of Flip and Mo. You can't be serious. Marv doesn't take a shot that isn't there.

3.He has been doing it the whole season so far and he has turned it up during this homestand. Only person who attacks the basket more than Marvin is Flip.

4.He plays very smart basketball. The thing about Marvin this year is that even though he can hit the 3. He doesn't get the ball and just fire an ill advised 3 as JJ does sometimes. He plays very smart. He makes the extra pass, he doesn't dribble the clock out, he doesn't try to score 30pts every night. Ill look up how many turnovers Marvin has this year.

5.You can bring up all those players you want but when the times get tough. Woody puts Marvin on em. Marvin doesnt shut people down. He contains them.

6.He passes the ball because he is unselfish. If he gets the ball and dribbles around like Flip does and JJ does you would find an complaint about that too.

Marvin gonna play big tonight.

• Premium Member
5.You can bring up all those players you want but when the times get tough. Woody puts Marvin on em. Marvin doesnt shut people down. He contains them.

Tony, you bout made my day with that one. I actually laughed out loud. I may have even slapped the table while laughing.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: