• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Braves..........and 40 million

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

What is going on with the Braves???? Seems like all Frank Wren and the Braves can do is give 40 million reasons why the Braves can't make a move.

All we heard during the season from the Braves was "we got 40 million in the offseason and we will be making some significant moves".

Now the big spenders are talking about signing Andrew Jones, at minimum salary. I guess AJ will be the power hitting outfielder we were looking to acquire.

I know the Braves have some prospects but if they don't acquire a major starter we are dead for 2009.

I'm a little upset that they weren't able to get Burnett, but I'm glad we didn't overspend for him though. We offered 80 million to that guy and he's not worth that all. I'm glad the Yankees outbid us. I'm still looking for the Peavy deal to poke its head out again. Other than that, I don't really see what we can do. Throw the bank to Wells? Hell no. That guy wants over 16 million a year. I want 16 million a year as well, but I ain't gonna get it and neither should he. I don't know what Wren can do. He should give JS office a visit.

No need to panick. The Rays built their AL Championship club by NOT over spending in free agency when other teams panick and still beat out the high spending RedSox and Yankees.

Granted the Rays just picked up Pat Burrel. However, he is an AL DH any way. His range is well documented as the worst of any major league outfielder, granted de does catch the few fly balls his legs can actually get to.

I have no problem getting a 37 year old Petite for 1 year at $12 mill (he just turned down a 1 year $10 mill offer) vs. $16 mill for multiple years for the 36 year old Derrick Lowe. Garland is a serviceable starter who is only 28 too. There are NO Ace pitchers in FA any more. I'd love to get Lowe for the 3 year $38 mill offer the Mets offered. Heck I'd even through 4 years / $50 mill at him but greedy Boras wants more.

As far as OFs go. Dunn and Abreau are still out there. I am hoping the market eventually forces one of them to take a low offer. My preference would be to trade for Rick Ankiel, out of St. Louis, who could play CF. We could also take a gamble on former UGA pitcher, Carpenter, who has had some injuries with the Cardninals but, when healthy, was a top 5 starter in baseball just 2 years ago and is still just 34. He would be a nice "pot sweetner" if a trade for Ankiel is put together.

What happened to the Roy Oswalt rumors that get tossed around every year with the Braves. Hmmmmm.

I would also not be suprised if minor roster tweak trade is made with Stan Kasten in Washington.

I am hoping Wren has some trades working that the media has no clue about (like the Vasquez trade).

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

CoachX,

I keep hearing from Braves fans about getting the payroll down, heck I could care less about the payroll. Do you think the Braves charge low prices for tickets? No. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Mets, Phils, and many others do what if takes to compete. Yeah, the Marlins slip up every once in a while with their young players and have a good year then to trade them to winning organizations. The Braves had 14 years of division winning success and they did not do it on the cheap.

The better teams and the Braves used to be one, go out and get the players they need to compete and win. I bet the Braves sign Andrew Jones and say he is their offseason power hitter acquisition, mark it down.

So take your 40 million that you had to spend in free agency and bring in some players. We screwed the Peavy deal because of being cheap.

Yep i'm upset at mediocrity.

We screwed the Peavy deal because of being cheap.

lol what? The trade didn't work because Peavy didn't want to come to ATL.

Of course i'm disappointed that we havn't been able to bring in any bigtime players but honestly i think Wren has done a good job. Grossly overpaying players is not a smart thing to do...unless you have an unlimited amount of money like the Yanks obv.

CoachX,

I keep hearing from Braves fans about getting the payroll down, heck I could care less about the payroll. Do you think the Braves charge low prices for tickets? No. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Mets, Phils, and many others do what if takes to compete. Yeah, the Marlins slip up every once in a while with their young players and have a good year then to trade them to winning organizations. The Braves had 14 years of division winning success and they did not do it on the cheap.

The better teams and the Braves used to be one, go out and get the players they need to compete and win. I bet the Braves sign Andrew Jones and say he is their offseason power hitter acquisition, mark it down.

So take your 40 million that you had to spend in free agency and bring in some players. We screwed the Peavy deal because of being cheap.

Yep i'm upset at mediocrity.

Wait, wait, wait !

First we (Wren) did not screw the Peavy deal up. They wanted Escobar and Hanson + other prospects. That is a ridiculous price. All signs point to the fact that Hanson is a 22 year old Peavy.

That is a big point. Patience will pay off. This Hanson kid appears to be the real deal and should be untouchable.

Now if the Padres want to trade Peavy to ATL without Hanson that is beautiful.

Losing AJ Burnett was no big deal due to his price tag, length of contract, and injury history. Factor in he has a small frame who is a "power pitcher." He also just came off a career high in innings pitched. Put all that together and another arm problem is quite possibly right around the corner for him.

The Furcal situation hurt but was no where as important as getting pitching help. Not to mention Furcal has injury and age concerns himself.

I have no problem waiting for the youngsters to mature into big leaguers. No need in trading away the farm just to stay medicore with an outside chance of contending. Add in Lowe and guy like Abreau and we could have an out side chance if things go our way and Hanson is ready for the big time without giving up the farm !