• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Winter sucks

DrReality

have any of you lived where it got REALLY COLD in the winter. I grew up in Ill and one winter it got down to zero and I had anold 64 Chevy. To get that thing to start in the morning I put a heat lamp under the hood and covered it with blankets. Sucker did not want to start but it fired up. That is too cold for man nor beast. That's why I love the South. It may get cold for a night or two but it is gone.

I rent a house in Sea Pines (Hilton Head, SC) for two weeks a Summer from a guy that lives in Chicago. We've become friends over the years, he stays in a spare room at our house each year during the Masters.

I give him a hard time about "moving where the heat is."

Well right now in Chicago he tells me it is about 0 degrees outside. I just walked outside on my patio in Augusta, GA wearing khakis and a polo shirt without socks. the concrete was a little cold (I sat down for a minute and enjoyed the 25 degree weather) but it was tolerable.

Once again - move where the heat is!

I just spent a week in Southern California. I don't understand why I'm still living in Georgia, let alone the Northern United States!!!!!!!!

I lived for a year in rural michigan. Winter was so depressing. Some saturdays I wouldnt even go out to pick up the mail just so I wouldnt have to dress up, put on the winter boots, hat, gloves, etc just to walk the 20 yards outside to the mailbox. If I remember correctly, the first time it got above freezing after new years (this was 95-96) was january 21st, or something like that. Not only that, but the weather was wild too. I was in High School, and one day in march I got up and it was 60 degrees outside, so I decided to just wear a t-shirt to school. By the time I got out, it was 20 degrees and snowing so bad you couldnt see more than 10 feet in front of you.

The worst day was this day in december, -27 degrees, with a -47 wind chill.

I remember the day I decided I would never live in Michigan again. It was the day I came back from spring break. I had spent a week in Southern TN, right by the AL-MS-TN border and the weather was beautiful, spring was in full bloom, flowers and green everywhere. Then we drove home to Michigan and everything was still gray and dead.

I lived in Montreal for 4 years, I used to walk to McGill where I was in school from my apartment which was about 25 minutes. Some days it would get down to -40, which is where F and C intersect... you'd get to class and even with a hat and scarf you'd have trouble saying words because the elasticity in your cheeks was gone.

Now I live in NYC which isn't as bad, although today its allegedly -1F ("feels like -15") which kind of blows.

We could see those people trying to get out of the plane upriver out of the window of our office, that would be dangerously cold.