• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whats the deal with Horford?

uga2006

I've been wondering why Horford hasn't stepped his game up from last year. He hasn't had a huge game other than the Chicago game and seems to be content as an 8/8 player. Is it because he still has a nagging injury or what? It's been awhile since we've seen a big rebounding night from AL. To me AL and Marvin are the X factors to this team.

I've been wondering why Horford hasn't stepped his game up from last year. He hasn't had a huge game other than the Chicago game and seems to be content as an 8/8 player. Is it because he still has a nagging injury or what? It's been awhile since we've seen a big rebounding night from AL. To me AL and Marvin are the X factors to this team.

He doesn't have the skill to routinely score 20 points, at least not yet, unless it's a fluke of a game like the Bulls game when he got all of those transition baskets. His rebounding totals definitely disappoint me but we have above average rebounders at the PG, SG, and SF spot and I'm sure that is part of the reason why his numbers there aren't what we'd like them to be.

I think there are a couple of things to consider.

One is that he is a little bit injured. Another is that he, like Smith, would be best utilized offensively by the PnR and on the break and we don't push for that so he is basically a midrange jump shooter.

The other is that expectations were way too high for him. I was listening to Simmons' podcast where he and his buddy did the value report and he said he was suprised because he though Al would be a 19-10 guy this season. Now, I don't know how many around here thought like that and I don't agree with Simmons on a lot of things (most notably his ability to accurately judge big men), but he does understand the sport some... what about Al's rookie season would lead anyone to think he could consistently put up that many points in a game? At least this season it would be tough to expect that big a jump from a guy who didn't show a lot of offensive skill.

Last season Al was a guy who took the midrange J, ran the floor, and crashed the boards. His team D has improved some, his J has improved some, his passing has improved, and he isn't hitting the glass as hard on offense. Al not improving by much had to have been one of a few possible outcomes. He was a 3 year college player who was never a volume scorer, he didn't have to be so if he had improved by a lot it wouldn't have been too suprising, on the other hand, he just wasn't. Even in that monster Chicago game, he was getting his points by running the floor and crashing the glass and a little bit of face up stuff, but he wasn't getting the ball in isolation in the post.

I'm a little dissappointed by Al's season but really, I'd just like to see him rebound a little more on offense because I know he can. I think that could give him another point or so also.

I think there are a couple of things to consider.

One is that he is a little bit injured. Another is that he, like Smith, would be best utilized offensively by the PnR and on the break and we don't push for that so he is basically a midrange jump shooter.

The other is that expectations were way too high for him. I was listening to Simmons' podcast where he and his buddy did the value report and he said he was suprised because he though Al would be a 19-10 guy this season. Now, I don't know how many around here thought like that and I don't agree with Simmons on a lot of things (most notably his ability to accurately judge big men), but he does understand the sport some... what about Al's rookie season would lead anyone to think he could consistently put up that many points in a game? At least this season it would be tough to expect that big a jump from a guy who didn't show a lot of offensive skill.

Last season Al was a guy who took the midrange J, ran the floor, and crashed the boards. His team D has improved some, his J has improved some, his passing has improved, and he isn't hitting the glass as hard on offense. Al not improving by much had to have been one of a few possible outcomes. He was a 3 year college player who was never a volume scorer, he didn't have to be so if he had improved by a lot it wouldn't have been too suprising, on the other hand, he just wasn't. Even in that monster Chicago game, he was getting his points by running the floor and crashing the glass and a little bit of face up stuff, but he wasn't getting the ball in isolation in the post.

I'm a little dissappointed by Al's season but really, I'd just like to see him rebound a little more on offense because I know he can. I think that could give him another point or so also.

I think the biggest thing for him has been the nagging injuries. I certainly didn't think 19/10 for him this season but I thought 13/11 was certainly doable. I still think he has the talent to be 17/11 type guy if he can get healthy.

I think the biggest thing for him has been the nagging injuries. I certainly didn't think 19/10 for him this season but I thought 13/11 was certainly doable. I still think he has the talent to be 17/11 type guy if he can get healthy.

nagging injuries? The only injury i know of is the leg bruise and he has played only a handful of games since he came back so that hasn't hurt his scoring average.

He lack of offense is pretty easily explained. His post game is lame and he refuses to try and beat guys off the dribble.

People have criticized Marvin for years for his lack of aggression on offense but he is easily more aggressive than Horford. Horford routinely gets defended by the big, slow stiffs but doesn't even try to take advantage of them.

Let him run the PnR with Bibby and he'd be a lot better.

Look at Milsap, the guy is putting up 15/9 and has essentially been a 20/10 player since Boozer went down. Reason being, he can hit the midrange J and they constantly run the PnR. He doesn't have any more offensive skill than Al and he's much smaller. I wouldn't expect Al to put up THAT great of numbers, but they'd be better if we played to the teams strengths.

nagging injuries? The only injury i know of is the leg bruise and he has played only a handful of games since he came back so that hasn't hurt his scoring average.

He lack of offense is pretty easily explained. His post game is lame and he refuses to try and beat guys off the dribble.

People have criticized Marvin for years for his lack of aggression on offense but he is easily more aggressive than Horford. Horford routinely gets defended by the big, slow stiffs but doesn't even try to take advantage of them.

He missed a couple of games in November (actually 1.75 games) after he injured his ankle against IND in the first quarter and then he re-injured the ankle against the Knicks in December and missed the Mavs game. It took him two full games of coming back after each injury to even resemble his normal self. Based on that, I think he will be better tonight than he has been over the last couple of games (assuming he is not still sick - he got dizzy during last night's game).