• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Progression for Next Season?

benhillboy

This team is starting to round out into what it ultimately will be if the core is kept together through the free agency period of 2010. I am a little dissappointed at the peak potential of this team as presently constructed. Joe, Bibby, Mo, and Flip are vets whose games aren't changing, which isn't a bad thing. All except Bibby should be expected to maintain their physical attributes. Bibby is easily the most expendable, basically commanding a hefty sum simply due to his playoff experience and career-year from 3, while being on par with Steve Nash as the most easily roastable man defenders at point in the Association.

As far as our young'uns, Al was a half-level behind what most expected, granted injuries have hampered him. It almost seems as if his potential is very slowly wasting away early. We won't talk about Josh, everyone here knows exactly who he is: one of the most ironic, sugar-to-s**t players to ever play in the NBA. Marvin added a set-shot three this year. Whoo-hoo. Next year, it'll probably be some up-and-under move or a running hook consistently. Nothing major, definately nothing in the form of increased confidence or aggression. And that's basically the key to the Hawks' future. Our young front line can still be great, but I'm finally starting to realize, like the majority it seems, that Woody has ran his course, done a fine job in improving every season, but is ultimately holding this team back offesnsively, especially when all three are missing many/ big games due to injury and can ill-afford lapses in growth. I find it hard to believe any reputable coach in this league would allow a starter he has coached for six years to have that poor a jumpshot, let alone allow him to shoot it constantly, leading to one of the most notorious plays in the NBA: The Josh Smith airball + easy rebound + run-out = easiest points of your life (and probably an and-1, commited by the one and only J-Smoove himself). On a tangent, how in the flying f**k did Josh get the nickname "Smoove" anyway?

Acie and Mario have shown flashes at points this year, but it may be futile to expect anything substantial from either under Woody.

If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse. I'm sure when game 7 is over, win or lose, Sund should have a blueprint for going forward to progress. Judging by the overall poor play in the first round, regardless of what happens Sunday afternoon, more players (and coaches, plural) are performing themselves out of the Hawks organization. We disagree on a lot here, but I think the consensus is that a nice new Coaching Staff and Point Guard of the future with extensive upside is top priority. I wish we could just snatch a Rick Carlisle/ Ty Lawson, in my dreams. If the Hawks had Ownership and Management like the Falcons, it would be very possible. But again, we have the awful truth that our ownership group (will a singular entity please buy the Hawks?) is pre-occupied with things not basketball related.

Edited by benhillboy

I personally feel this team is a point and solid depth at both front court spots away from contention. We've made progress each year, set our pieces in place and have developed our core to be on the precipice of greatness. I feel all we need is a veteran big man a la PJ Brown in addition to a solid youngster to solidify our front line and a changing of our players' roles. This "sadly" will not happen under woody. I for one will give credit to his defensive schemes however inflexible they are but similar to Carlisle in Detroit he has helped this team in many ways but failed them in many others thus setting up the need for another to push us to the next level. Aside from in game management my issue lies with how Woody has allowed the roles of the team to be determined, joe Johnson came in as the highest paid so he was immediately given the roll of star whether or not if he was trully ready to carry that burden. Josh Smith, whether through fear of his job security, woody has allowed to believe he is option B by massaging his ego and not delegating his true role of energy garbage man and shot blocker a la a suped up ben Wallace. I believe mike bibby was brought in to be a solid point and bring wins now WHILE allowing acie law to be mentored and developed, this was never actually implemented by woody because despite law being young and inexperienced he was never allowed once to work through adversity thus learning. This bringing me to our two high draft picks, both have proven they can do damage in this league but due to woody's over reliance on his vets are unable to demonstrate this consistantly. Both Marvin and Horf are collegiate national champs from great programs so they have team concepts in their hearts so will not assert themselves above the team scheme. Marvin as it stands is the 4th if not 5th option and has developed his game to fit that scheme but when team mates went down through out the season especially when JJ was out he exploded with consistent high scoring and rebound games. Horford on the other hand has been ignored in the post so often throughout the season despite being very successful at times it is no wonder he doesn't have confidence in his abilities now. This team could stand to benefit from restructuring roles, having joe still be 1 but morr dependant on marvin at 2 with horf ideally moving up to 2 from 3 and josh at 4. As it stands we may have to be stuck with bibby due to the lack of development behind him but that is not as bad as it seems if he can be kept at a reasonable price and understands that his role is to support our core three and bring up his replacement.