• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk fans Mystery?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Mike Fratello got his start as an assistant under Hubie. Then Hubie was let go and Mike coached 3 games before they picked up Kevin Loughery. Kevin Loughery had 2 playoff seasons winning 40 and 43 games respectively and all the sudden, he was fired. He was replaced by Mike Fratello.

Does any squawker know...

Why was Kevin Loughery fired?

• Premium Member
Thats a couple years before my time as a Hawks fan . Do you know the answer or are you looking for the answer?

I'm actually looking for the answer. I have no clue. I remember enjoying the Hawks... Loughery had a good brand of defense going on. He had just gotten Nique and then all the sudden, the next year, there's this short man on the bench.

I don't know if it was health related or if he didn't get along with Nique or if Kasten just wanted something different?

• Moderators

June 7, 1983 New York Times

The Chicago Bulls today reached agreement on compensation to be given to the Atlanta Hawks for the rights to sign Kevin Loughery as their new coach.

General Manager Rod Thorn said Loughery will come to Chicago Tuesday.

He said he was optimistic that the Bulls could reach agreement with the Hawks' coach on a contract. If the (typo: they meant to say Bulls) sign Loughery, they will give the Hawks their second-round pick in this month's National Basketball Association draft as compensation.

Thorn dismissed Paul Westhead last month after the Bulls finished 28-54. Loughery, who has one year left on his current contract, worth about $200,000, said he was optimistic he would join the Bulls. ''I was very fond of Atlanta and the Hawks,'' said Loughery. ''It's just a situation where I'm looking for security.'' The Hawks, meanwhile, have asked the Knicks for permission to speak to one of their assistant coaches, Mike Fratello.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
June 7, 1983 New York Times

The Chicago Bulls today reached agreement on compensation to be given to the Atlanta Hawks for the rights to sign Kevin Loughery as their new coach.

General Manager Rod Thorn said Loughery will come to Chicago Tuesday.

He said he was optimistic that the Bulls could reach agreement with the Hawks' coach on a contract. If the (typo: they meant to say Bulls) sign Loughery, they will give the Hawks their second-round pick in this month's National Basketball Association draft as compensation.

Thorn dismissed Paul Westhead last month after the Bulls finished 28-54. Loughery, who has one year left on his current contract, worth about $200,000, said he was optimistic he would join the Bulls. ''I was very fond of Atlanta and the Hawks,'' said Loughery. ''It's just a situation where I'm looking for security.'' The Hawks, meanwhile, have asked the Knicks for permission to speak to one of their assistant coaches, Mike Fratello.

~lw3

Thanks...

Wow... That's an interesting story. I never knew we gave up our coach for a 2nd round pick...

OK.. I did more research... this is interesting. We gave up Kevin Loughery for what became.......

DOC RIVERS!!!

More interesting is that in the book Jordan Rules, Micheal Jordan says his favorite coach of all times was... Kevin Loughery. Who left the bulls after leading the bulls to the playoffs in MJ's first year??

OK, Loughery is amazing...

Everywhere he goes, he takes a sorry team and puts them in the playoffs within 2 years.

Hawks, Bulls, Wizards, then Heat.

However, when he is fired... Everybody is scratching their head. Or at least I AM?

Chicago fired Jordan's favorite coach of all time.

Washington fired him after leading them to the playoffs.

And so did the heat.

Maybe this is a guy who can assist Woody??

He's only 69.