• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Salary Puzzles and Ownership

Hawk88

Its pretty scary to look at the current roster and see all the players who are free agents and have expiring contracts. Outside of Josh Smith nobody is signed long term. I am affraid that more than anything this is a reflection of the cheap *ss Spirit Group partners. Sund could make any number of moves but with Ownership not wanting to sign players to long term deals who in their right mind would sign with Atlanta?

Honestly this would be a great time for an ambitious new Owner to come in and shake things up and put together a real winner. Bosh is available, extend Joe's contract and even add another nice piece. But these guys are likely to just look at the economy and hold onto their dollars. Sad but sure would be nice if Sund could make some moves. Maybe hire a real coach instead of having Woody complete his contract because they don't want to pay for two coaches if one is fired. It's a travesty and David Stern should have stepped in on this a long time ago.

That said I guess we truly should just draft a player we think will be in the league for the next few years because who knows if any of these free agents will be offered contract. We are about to lose all our players and the only guys who will play for us is to get a paycheck.

Sad to me.

Hawk88

Its pretty scary to look at the current roster and see all the players who are free agents and have expiring contracts. Outside of Josh Smith nobody is signed long term. I am affraid that more than anything this is a reflection of the cheap *ss Spirit Group partners. Sund could make any number of moves but with Ownership not wanting to sign players to long term deals who in their right mind would sign with Atlanta?

Honestly this would be a great time for an ambitious new Owner to come in and shake things up and put together a real winner. Bosh is available, extend Joe's contract and even add another nice piece. But these guys are likely to just look at the economy and hold onto their dollars. Sad but sure would be nice if Sund could make some moves. Maybe hire a real coach instead of having Woody complete his contract because they don't want to pay for two coaches if one is fired. It's a travesty and David Stern should have stepped in on this a long time ago.

That said I guess we truly should just draft a player we think will be in the league for the next few years because who knows if any of these free agents will be offered contract. We are about to lose all our players and the only guys who will play for us is to get a paycheck.

Sad to me.

Hawk88

I think you have a limited understanding of how things work from the GM's chair under the NBA's CBA.

You make a reference saying we could sign plenty of FA's to long term deals and then call the owners cheap.

Point 1. We cannot sign other teams FA's b/c we have no room under the cap. That has nothing to with being cheap and everything to do with the NBA's FA rules found in the current CBA. You do realize we cannot even negotiate until July 1, I hope.

2. The fact that we have no room under the salary cap should be proof enough that our owners are not cheap

3. Heck we were less then a $1 million under the luxury tax threshold for heavens sakes.

You then say we should get Bosh, extend JJ, and add another piece.

1. Bosh may have no interest in signing a long term extension here.....he would have to sign an extension to make the deal pratical for us. I hope this happens.

2. JJ probably does not want to extend his contract this off season since there will be suitors lined up to pay him max money after they lose out on Wade and James.

The one point you made, that I agree with, is on the coaching situation.

In addition to CoachX's comments, how can a new owner come on board?

There is no way that the club can be sold until the Belkin issue is resolved. That doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

I don't think the ASG is cheap per se, but as Diesel says, they are poor compared to other NBA owners. They just don't have some of the cash reserves like Cuban, Dolan, and the new Cleveland cabal. Also realize that they are missing about 30% of the investment they expected due to the Belkin suit.

Does this mean I like the ASG? Not particularly, but I don't think they've had a fare chance to show what they really wanted to do with the clubs due to Belkin.

I think you have a limited understanding of how things work from the GM's chair under the NBA's CBA.

You make a reference saying we could sign plenty of FA's to long term deals and then call the owners cheap.

Point 1. We cannot sign other teams FA's b/c we have no room under the cap. That has nothing to with being cheap and everything to do with the NBA's FA rules found in the current CBA. You do realize we cannot even negotiate until July 1, I hope.

2. The fact that we have no room under the salary cap should be proof enough that our owners are not cheap

3. Heck we were less then a $1 million under the luxury tax threshold for heavens sakes.

You then say we should get Bosh, extend JJ, and add another piece.

1. Bosh may have no interest in signing a long term extension here.....he would have to sign an extension to make the deal pratical for us. I hope this happens.

2. JJ probably does not want to extend his contract this off season since there will be suitors lined up to pay him max money after they lose out on Wade and James.

The one point you made, that I agree with, is on the coaching situation.

I appreciate your points but they could have done something about this situation before now right. Why is everyone's contract about to expire? I can understand Marvin, Bibby and Zaza but why is Joe Johnson sitting here without a contract extension?

Hawk88

I appreciate your points but they could have done something about this situation before now right. Why is everyone's contract about to expire? I can understand Marvin, Bibby and Zaza but why is Joe Johnson sitting here without a contract extension?

Hawk88

What is the point in extending him right now? For all we know he might get a career ending injury this upcoming season.

We aren't in any danger with Joe. When he becomes a free agent we will be able to offer him the most money. We also offer him familiarity, a place close to home, and assurance that the owners are 100% behind him. Remember, all of our ownership disputes right now are because of Joe, so Joe knows our owners want him badly.

What is the point in extending him right now? For all we know he might get a career ending injury this upcoming season.

We aren't in any danger with Joe. When he becomes a free agent we will be able to offer him the most money. We also offer him familiarity, a place close to home, and assurance that the owners are 100% behind him. Remember, all of our ownership disputes right now are because of Joe, so Joe knows our owners want him badly.

I don't think the team has endeared itself to Joe having Mike Woodson as coach. I would leave it it was me, thank goodnes it isn't.

Hawk88

• Premium Member

No, I think you go ahead and offer the extension to a player of Joe's proven caliber. Especially if you can get the player to compromise a bit on the last year of the deal or on the overall value of the contract.

That would be why you would by insurance on an injury. He can walk next year and all we might get is somethign in a sign and trade.

Hawk88

That would be why you would by insurance on an injury. He can walk next year and all we might get is somethign in a sign and trade.

Hawk88

Insurance on an injury doesn't cover cap space, it just covers monetary expenses. And why are you talking about Woodson and Joe as if its a bad thing? You do realize Joe has been an outspoken supporter of Woodson his entire time here? Keeping Woodson on is just another plus as to why Joe won't leave.

No, I think you go ahead and offer the extension to a player of Joe's proven caliber. Especially if you can get the player to compromise a bit on the last year of the deal or on the overall value of the contract.

I just don't see the rush. Its not like if we can't agree on an extension we are screwed. Sure it would be nice to get it done, but I don't see us failing to get an extension done as some sort of a sign that our ownership/management is awful.

I also highly doubt we do an extension, Sund has a history of not doing things unless he has to (look at negotiations in Seattle and with our Joshes last season). But thats a different topic.

• 4 weeks later...