• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Blog on Teague

Admin

http://hawks.portspaces.com/post/hawksbask..._in_teague.html

At #19, the Hawks select Jeff Teague out of Wake Forest. This is a tremendous coup for Atlanta, as not only do they get a player right at the top of their draft board, but they also get one who plays the point and can potentially be groomed as the future of the position now that Acie Law is off to Golden State.

There were some tense moments in the draft room as we watched teams pick in front of them without calling his name, but when the time came to make the pick it was a very easy call.

Teague impressed the front office and coaching staff with his lightning quickness and scoring ability in college. As Hawks GM Rick Sund said, "He is a great player. He is quick, can get to the rim and finish, and is maybe the best athlete at the PG position in this draft."

Hawks asst. GM Dave Pendergraft said you hope to take a player who is the best you have on your board and can fill a need, and I'd say from the start that's exactly what this pick looks like.

They always say the player is "at the top of the draft board."

It's a crock.

There's a reason Denver targeted the #18 for a trade.

Certainly possible although they could have thought that Utah might take him and apparently Minnesota made it known that the 18 was available if James Johnson wasn't available and I'd bet that was the only pick available in that area.

Obviously Teague was a guy that we liked though since we picked him so quickly.

• Premium Member
They always say the player is "at the top of the draft board."

It's a crock.

There's a reason Denver targeted the #18 for a trade.

It may be a crock, and true, it's as dependable a line as you'll hear from any team following their selection. But I think there's room for debate on this particular one... Teague has probably been more consistently suggested as the Hawks target @ 19 than anyone, including in the beat reporter's mock. I'm inclined to think that some people knew the Hawks really liked Teague.

Certainly possible although they could have thought that Utah might take him and apparently Minnesota made it known that the 18 was available if James Johnson wasn't available and I'd bet that was the only pick available in that area.

Obviously Teague was a guy that we liked though since we picked him so quickly.

Picking him up so quickly was a dead give away. There was still almost two minutes on the clock.

Chad Ford's Analysis: The Hawks have acquired Jamal Crawford but weren't done remaking their backcourt. Teague had the quickest first step in college basketball and is difficult to stop from getting in the paint. He's a great upside pick for Atlanta. Don't expect Mike Bibby back in Atlanta.