• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cenk Akyol

DrReality

And as for Cenk Akyol, I didn’t meant that he’ll be the next trade chip … I only meant it’s time to evaluate him and see where he might fit, be it on the Hawks’ roster or elsewhere. I don’t have it confirmed yet, but I’m hunting to see if he’ll be on the mini-camp roster for next week.

Anyone heard the latest on him?

Euro 2009:

Career: Efes Pilsen (Turkey-TBL, 2003-07). Drafted in the second round of the 2005 NBA draft (#59), by the Atlanta Hawks.

Heir to the Kutluay throne, Akyol is the next big scorer for Turkey. The 20 year-old has been surrounded by hype since the age of 15 and seemed on his way to stardom. But burnout caused Akyol to struggle mightily at Efes Pilsen as he lost his confidence. His teammates as a result lost confidence in Akyol. Not all that surprising considering he has played basketball more or less non-stop for the last five years. Well, hopefully a one month lay-off after the domestic season will be just what the doctor ordered and can help Akyol re-gain a bit of his magic. With second to none fundamentals, he can get past his man in a one meter square area and can knock down the big shot as well. His long arms and active hands make him a capable defender and Turkey needs him back on his game this Eurobasket.

Doesn't sound good.

• Premium Member

This is why the NBA needs to add a third round to the draft. The first 2 rounds for American players and the 3rd round for international players. Almost seems that drafting these guys in the 2nd ends up being a wasted pick (at least in the case of Hawks).

This is why the NBA needs to add a third round to the draft. The first 2 rounds for American players and the 3rd round for international players. Almost seems that drafting these guys in the 2nd ends up being a wasted pick (at least in the case of Hawks).

Would be a big blow to our egos when most of the 3rd rounders outperform the 2nd rounders.

• Premium Member

Would be a big blow to our egos when most of the 3rd rounders outperform the 2nd rounders.

I know. Which is why the NBA would never refer to it as the "3rd round". Call it the International Draft or something close

I don't think Akyol is good enough to play in Atlanta. Plus, Gladyr replaced him on the "European guards" depth chart.

I've seen Akyol play in at least 30 games... He was probably the best prospect PG of his class in Europe!

However, something happened in the meantime... As a young player, who needed playing time to develop, he got stuck behind some veterans (mostly old, ex-NBA players)... he completely lost his confidence and right now I realy don't know what to think of him?! He is still a member of Turkish International Squad...

I'm sure that he still has the skills and some potential... Also, his game now-days has evolved into a combo-guard profile...

I'm sure that Hawks have pretty good scouting knowledge and inside info on his situation, but myself personaly, definitely don't see him in the NBA!

P.S. Don't get me wrong, Cenk is still a good player, but he never realized glimpses of above-average potentials.

• Premium Member

I've seen Akyol play in at least 30 games... He was probably the best prospect PG of his class in Europe!

However, something happened in the meantime... As a young player, who needed playing time to develop, he got stuck behind some veterans (mostly old, ex-NBA players)... he completely lost his confidence and right now I realy don't know what to think of him?! He is still a member of Turkish International Squad...

I'm sure that he still has the skills and some potential... Also, his game now-days has evolved into a combo-guard profile...

I'm sure that Hawks have pretty good scouting knowledge and inside info on his situation, but myself personaly, definitely don't see him in the NBA!

P.S. Don't get me wrong, Cenk is still a good player, but he never realized glimpses of above-average potentials.

Sounds like the Acie Law story.

He never played PG, he was always a SG/SF, are you sure you didn't watch Hakan Demirel? ;)

He's also not a good player and not a member of the national team anymore.

• Moderators

As late as Akyol was picked in the draft, if you could get anything for or out of him it is a fantastic thing. The good news is that with a Euro player you can let them develop in Europe without costing you a dime or a spot on your roster. If he develops, you have exclusive rights. If he doesn't, you haven't spent anything on him or wasted a roster spot on him. Much better to get a Euro Randolph Morris who busts than to pay one $1.5M to sit on the end of your bench for two years.

He never played PG, he was always a SG/SF, are you sure you didn't watch Hakan Demirel? ;)

He's also not a good player and not a member of the national team anymore.

Double-checked!

He came up as a PG! He was later used as a SG and never as a SF, for sure! He's basicaly a combo-guard, he's got PG's skills and SG mentality... If my memory serves me well, I think he's 6'5", maybe 6'4"...

P.S. He's got very good ball-handling skills, but he always had trouble with turnovers...

Hmm, I've never seen him play PG or had heard anybody describe him as a PG (except american "experts").

He's 6'6 by the way. ;)

I've read that he wants to train in the USA this summer instead of playing for the A2 team. It's also 100% certain that he'll leave Efes.

Edited by BigDirty