• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Garret Siler (merged)

Brotha2ThaNite

Atleast Siler shows effort/hustle on the court. something morris dont show!so he get big props for that. hell morris look like he dont even want to play 99% of the time!

I think this is huge point.

Have to asked about who coached him in college? How coachable he is.

The reports out of the Portland tournament sounded good and may indicate that he has potential. He's got to show it. And hopefully his four years ? in college helped him mature?

supposedly he's lost some weight I believe he's down to 280lbs

I saw this kid play against my school for two years the reports on him are fairly accurate, but again with the weight loss he might be a bit quicker. He seemed like a nice kid off the court and takes direction well. He was a bit foul prone against us and we had more athletic 210 lbs 6'8 - 6'9 centers we put on him. None the less, he's a banger I I'm sure he's not afraid of morris or anyone else we throw at him at the mini camp, maybe Taft, but I'm unfamiliar with his game.

They still have him at 305 lbs for the summer league

Man I just called. At first he said yes. Then he called me back and said no they are closed to the public :mad:

The account reps seemed conditioned to tell you what you want to hear first, then call you back and tell you what the actually policy is.

My original ticket rep was even more clueless with my Thrashers account but they switched me to a new one who seems to have a better feel for what is going on.

Here is the background on Siler.

He went to a local Magnet School, Davidson Fine Arts. You have to audition to get into it - in other words you have to atleast pretend to have some type of talent, whether that be theatre, playing a flute, poetry, WTF ever.

The school has no sports teams.

I'm not sure when Siler started there but his Senior year he transferred to Richmond Academy, a regular public school down in the hood. He was on the basketball team there but didn't play because he was grossly overweight.

The local basketball coach at Augusta State Clint Bryant (I think he was coaching the team) found Siler either at ARC or or perhaps Siler had enrolled at Augusta State and he saw him walking around campus. WHo cares = he found him.

Siler was put on a conditioning program and lost over 50 lbs. From there he started playing basketball. The rest of ASU history from there. The guy dominated and got ASU to the Division II or whatever they play in National Championship game.

He has played at around 295 to 300. After the season ended in preperation for the NBA combine and draft he lost even more weight. He was supposedly down in the 285 range.

That's 75 lbs or more less than he weighed when he enrolled at ASU and he's had 3 or 4 years of playing basketball under his belt that he didn't have before simply because of his weight issues.

The knock on Siler is he played against smaller dudes. He did, however so does pretty much every other 7 footer in college basketball. How many of them are out there even at the ACC or Pac 10 level? Not alot.

The guy obviously has potential. The only way you'll know how much though is to throw him in a cage with the rest of the Lions and see who the last man standing is.

Edited by gsuteke

seems to me like he develops pretty quickly...starting basket ball EXTREMELY late but basically going into college and becoming a beast....depending on his showing in minicamp, seems like an easy decision to grab him over at least randolph..

and then of course get another proven big man like a wilcox or whatever....

He is Clutch too. lol

Nick Young and his Wizards had an opportunity to knot the score at 85 with 11.9 second left, but his three-point attempt clanked off the rim and into the hands of Garrett Siler, who was immediately fouled. Siler made both of his attempts from the charity stripe to put his squad up four with 10.9 remaining and ultimately end the game.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900039

24 minutes

8 rebounds

1 blocks

11 points (7-9 from ft)

It's just summer league, but Siler put up 11 points, 8 boards, 1 assist and 1 block tonight in ~23 minutes. Will be interesting to see how he does in our mini camp.

Oops, I guess i should have read before i posted my reply. Just got home from the Braves can of whoopasser on the Mets :laugh:

Here are some of the things that were posted about Siler on the Timber wolves MB over on RealGM while they watched the games.

Re: Wolves vs. D-League Summer league game thread

Postby ChazzleDazzle on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Nice finish by Siler! Collapsing on the hoop after the PnR

Postby Calinks on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm kind of liking this Siler guy. He seems hungry, and not just for food either. He could be a motivated big body for us.

A little heavy footed, but I agree, he's working hard.

Nice Dunk by the Silo

Postby Calinks on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:28 pm

They say that Siler already lost like 25 pounds since the wolves first talked to him. I think he is willing to get in better condition to improve his play.

Postby ChazzleDazzle on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Siler looked decent too, when he was in...

Postby Calinks on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Yea Siler is out there. I think if we bring him on he will cut open the heads of the best bigmen in the NBA, learn their abilities and become a beast.

Postby Calinks on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm thinking that Siler is the best big man we have on this summer squad. He brings a defensive presence, I think he had 3 or 4 blocks tonight and he altered some other shots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Wolves vs. Wiz Summer League Game Thread

Postby collin_k41 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:09 pm

WOW@the Siler dunk!

Postby Calinks on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Siler=Shaq

Postby Mcfale313 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:37 pm

siler is a baller,

Postby Calinks on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Come on Shaq, hit your FT's!

Postby Calinks on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 pm

With the way Siler has been playing. One has to wonder if Shaq's body will turn up in some closet somewhere with his dome horizontally sliced open.

Postby Mcfale313 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:40 pm

23 minutes

6 rebounds

1 blocks

6 points (2-4 from ft)

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900045

Tomorrow will be 3 games in a role for this big guy. I wonder how he will do. I watched some today. He looks good. He was 3 for 3. The other wolves are taking all the shots. They are right. Once he gets it down low there is no one who can stop him. :cool:

This guy have come a long way very fast just within a weeks time. when I posted this most did not even know his name. Now this guy is on just about every Hawks MB. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I see you're big on Siler but from what Sekou had to say I don't think it's going to happen.