• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

State of the Atlanta Hawks

HalfHawk

Here's an article from hoopsworld about where the Atlanta Hawks stand as of now.

The Atlanta Hawks are under the radar. Because Orlando, Boston, and Cleveland commanded so much attention as the top three seeds in the East last season, Atlanta, the fourth-best team in that conference, didn't get a sliver of the attention they probably deserved having come so far in just a two-season span. Even more worthy of media notice should have been the high number of key free agents Atlanta had to work with. After coming so far as a team and an organization, to just let guys like Mike Bibby, Zaza Pachulia, Marvin Williams, and Flip Murray walk away would have been a dire mistake.

So far, three of those four guys are slated to be back in a Hawks uniform next season and beyond, with other improvements having been made via the draft and a pretty significant trade.

That trade of course was the draft-day deal that brought in Jamal Crawford, a Golden State doghouse-dweller they received for their two backup point guards, Acie Law and Speedy Claxton. Crawford brings big-time scoring to the Atlanta bench (he averaged 19.7ppg between the Knicks and Warriors last season), effectively replacing the one important free agent they have yet to re-sign in Murray, who most likely will not be back after finding a healthy role with Atlanta last season.

Atlanta replaced their shipped-off backup point guard corps by drafting a promising young one by the name of Jeff Teague, who many feel was a relative steal at pick #19. The Wake Forest product will take a couple of years to develop, but with Bibby signed on through 2012 they've got time to let him marinate.

By returning Bibby, Pachulia, and Williams Hawks ownership is showing significant confidence in their talented (and increasingly expensive) core. The team gave Pachulia and Bibby a combined $37 million for four and three years, respectively, and Williams—who has yet to officially ink his deal—has agreed to terms on a five-year, $40 million deal of his own. Add Josh Smith's eight-figure salaries through 2013 and whatever the team decides to throw at Joe Johnson in next year's big free agency spending spree, and the numbers here are really starting to add up.

But with a legitimate All-Star in Johnson, flanked by time-tested NBA veterans like Bibby and Crawford and burgeoning, athletic up-and-comers like Williams, Smith, and Al Horford, this is very much a team that could repeat as the fourth-best in the East next season. In another year or two it wouldn't be out of the question to see them finish even better than that. If Atlanta can become a perennial top-three team in the Eastern Conference, all that money will have been worth it.

A lot hinges on how well this season goes for Joe Johnson, and whether or not he agrees to return next summer. If Atlanta is winning and the dollars are there, it would be most logical for him to stay put. However if the big names like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh all sign extensions within the next 11 months, Johnson becomes arguably the most coveted player for a free agency class in which half the league has stockpiled cash to spend. It's not impossible to think he could find a better situation.

It's a big season for the Hawks in a lot of ways. Fans expect the young guys to show their extra year of experience on the court, and the vets who worked so hard for a contract last year to continue their solid play. If it all comes together, this could be a very exciting year for Atlanta fans. After quite a few years of watching a dismal product, there's finally something good here—meaning the Hawks might not stay under the radar much longer.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13498

• Premium Member

Where do they get off saying Crawful will come off the bench! :angry: I stopped reading right there because they displayed zero credibility.

/sarcasm

Craw will start off the bench, but he will be a starter before long.

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

Way to put a curse on our season Diesel, you're already predicting injuries to our starting lineup.

No injury. Just promotion!

You demote a 20 ppg starter who is one of the best finishers in the game... and you try to say I'm wishing ill on my team? I think that the powers that be will come to the light... and see that it makes no sense to keep Craw on the bench...

No injury. Just promotion!

You demote a 20 ppg starter who is one of the best finishers in the game... and you try to say I'm wishing ill on my team? I think that the powers that be will come to the light... and see that it makes no sense to keep Craw on the bench...

I trully hope that you come to enjoy Crawful as much as I have in the past. It will trully be a revelationary experience that I feel will bond us in the end.

Your Friend,

Craw Craw

Nice to see an article that does not call us the worst team in the league... :)

The only thing the author forgot to add is that Woodson is also in a contract year.

Woody's in a contract year after taking over a team with nothing, wins 13 games...then takes the Champs to 7 games, then locks up thew fourth best record in the East. And his reward, zilch. How can you not get an extension after last year? And what you've been through....Seriously? I'm indifferent on the coaching situation. None of it makes sense. I just think the whole situatuion is shady...

Woody's in a contract year after taking over a team with nothing, wins 13 games...then takes the Champs to 7 games, then locks up thew fourth best record in the East. And his reward, zilch. How can you not get an extension after last year? And what you've been through....Seriously? I'm indifferent on the coaching situation. None of it makes sense. I just think the whole situatuion is shady...

My take on the Woodson situation is that he's Mike Gearon's guy, but not particularly liked by the Washington owners (there has been some hint of this in news reports). Add in that Woody isn't Sund's choice, and you get Woodson being on double-secret probation.

The reality is that Woodson has riden the talents collected by two GMs. He's done some good things as a HC, but his deficiencies are glaring when compared to the top-tier coaches.

Right now the Hawks seem to have a top car, but its being driven by Dale Jr.