• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN Insider shakes up the Hawks

Scott

I think the only plan this franchise has right now is to not pay the luxury tax.

As for Reef being worth his salary, I think he would be IF we had the right pieces around him. The question is, how do we get those pieces when he will make nearly $15 million next year? What if he asks for a raise in 05/06 as 99% of all young players in their primes are apt to do. Would you be willing to pay him $16 million in 05/06? If not, how much do you think he will be willing to come back for and how much would you pay him?

• Admin

Stephen jackson isn't worth that. I'm not sure just how "inside" Chad Ford is these days. But i'm inside enough to know that right now, Stephen Jackson and his agent are sweating their asses off because there's a damned good chance he could have turned down enough worthy contracts to find himself playing in Europe or one of the minor leagues next season.

He's already turned down three teams because he and his agent were holding out for more money. Now nobody is calling them. They burned too many bridges. Jackson seems to think he's starter worthy on any team in the league and is somehow more than a guy who just happened to fit perfectly with what the Spurs were doing last year.

I personally hope he ends up in Europe next season. He's nothing more than a role player who let his head his swell bigger than his talent or wallet can handle. Now he's paying the price.

It's Reef for Griffin AND $10 million in capspace next year (or the year after). I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger either (I would if they threw in a #1) but the deal is more than just Reef for Griffin. Would you rather pay Reef $14.6 million next year and maybe MORE the following year or pay Griffin $2.9 million next year and have ability to go after a FA? We would also have the option of resigning Griffin after 04/05 or letting him go for even more capspace if he doesn't pan out.

No question Reef was a better player at the same age. But players develop at different rates. Reef was better than Jermaine O'Neal or T Mac at the same age too but he [censored] sure ain't better now.

As for Swift, he may or may not become a star but worse case scenario, he should be a good NBA player for many years to come. Again, the deal is not just Theo for Swift, it's Theo/Nazr/CC for Swift and nearly $13 million in caproom next year (or the year after).

Ford's plan makes sense if the team doesn't believe that Theo, Reef and JT can be the core of a championship team. Even if JT signs for 7 yrs /$50 million (a bargain in my opinion), the team will NOT be able to pay Reef and Theo at their market values and have enough capspace in 05/06 to go get a top FA. Say Reef comes back for $14 million in 05/06 (he would have to take a pay cut to do that). Say Theo comes back for $11 million in 05/06 (he would have to come back at the same salary to do that). That is $25 million right there. If JT is around, he'll likely make around $7 million in 05/06. That is $32 million. Nazr is slated to make $5.5 million in 05/06. That is $37.5 million. Obviously, there will be no room for a top FA.

Say we pull the trigger on Ford's deal. JT would be on the books for around $7 million in 05/06. Griffin's qualifying offer is around $4 million. If Swift has a great year in 04/05, he's probably looking at a JT type contract starting at around $6 million. If he has a REALLY great year, he might get more but we'll be happy to give it to him because we'll have a star. Even if he gets a MAX deal, it will be some $5 million less than what Reef will likely be asking for in 05/06. Realistically, JT, Griffin and Swift would likely cost us $20 million or less in 05/06. Realistically, Reef, Theo, JT and Nazr would likely cost us $37.5 million in 05/06. From where I'm sitting, Ford's deal doesn't look too bad right now. If we got an unprotected #1 in addition to Griffin & Rice, done deal for me.

You said this team can make the playoffs if they add a couple of role players and contend for the EC title 2 to 3 years down the road. I don't see that at all. WHAT role players are good enough to help us make the playoffs? Stephen Jackson? I don't see it. Obviously, Utah and Denver don't value him that highly either. Who else? Glover? DJ? Who?

On one hand, you clear up more capspace with these moves, add some much-needed athleticism (albeit young, unproven athleticism), and put yourself in nice position come 2004 and 2005 to pursue free agents. However, the core of your entire team is gutted (again), you definitely miss the playoffs (again), and run the chances of having the same kind of problems that Jerry Krause had a few years ago when MJ and Co. ran for the hills. That problem is trying to lock up top-tier free agents that other teams actually want when you haven't sniffed the playoffs in five seasons. Now don't get me wrong; $$$ talks and everything else runs a marathon. But I also remember how the Bulls wined and dined Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, amongst others and ended up with Eddie Robinson and Ron Mercer. That's a huge risk for this organization to take with an already impatient fanbase who's had more than its share of hearing about 'wait 'til next year', 'wait two years, then we'll have something', 'we'll get those type of players when we have cap space'. If you roll the dice and win, this team would finally be back on the NBA map and playing games in the spring that MATTER. If you roll snake eyes, it could do serious damage to this franchise for many years to come.

However, serious damage can be done if we look on the other side of the spectrum, too. Suppose we keep SAR, JT, and the rest of the crew. That squad has appeared in as many playoff games in the last two years as I have (0). And while I agree that if they could make the playoffs if some good pieces were added, where exactly ARE these good pieces? Oh, almost forgot, there are about two dozen other teams that have either already locked them up or closer to bringing them in that we are. So the $64,000 question to ask is simply this; if ownership doesn't gut this team and start over, what moves can be made for this current squad to make a playoff run?