• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will the fair market value theme apply to JJ!

Wurider05

The extension for JJ is going to be interesting considering that SUND believes is fair market value. He has to know that we overpaid for Smoove by at least 2-3 million dollars and Al is coming up for an extension next season. Considering his performance in the playoffs over the last two years what is the fair market value for JJ right now. There are alot of questions that need to be answered about JJ first.

1. Are his numbers a result of being the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options in Woody's offense and playing 40 minutes a game every night.

2. With our other players getting better will his role decrease as his salary decreases!

3. Where does his playoff performance fact into his contract. He wasn't even the leading scorer this past post season for us. You can argue that he was hurt but the bottom line he played and his performance needs to be taken into consideration.

4. He tends to freeze in big games.

I like JJ and I want him here but we got to be smart with the money.

You got the point... but we also need to realize that it is only the market that sets the price tag on a player!

However, if we're going to re-sign JJ, right now is the perfect time! Circumstances work in our favour: grim revenue projections, trimming cap and the tax situation...

I'm pretty sure we'll re-sign JJ for something similar to what Roy got from Blazers. My reasons are following:

- JJ is no longer preoccupied by a notion that he needs to prove himself so much individualy... in PHX he was a 3rd or even 4th string and he was looking for better situation (apart from the money).

- He is very comfortable in ATL. He's not a guy who demands media, publicity spot-light...

- He's at a stage in his career when he'll be looking for an opportunity to win and contend for a championship. And Hawks will surely have a window of opportunity wide open for next 5 years...

P.S. I have a world of confidence in our GM, and I believe that he'll do the best for the Hawks... meaning, re-sign JJ.

You got the point... but we also need to realize that it is only the market that sets the price tag on a player!

In keeping with that quote, the market says that Brian Cardinal is worth 6.7 million dollars a year. So I don't think Smoove is over-payed at 10 million.

• Premium Member

P.S. I have a world of confidence in our GM, and I believe that he'll do the best for the Hawks... meaning, re-sign JJ.

It is interesting that Thomas Dimitroff gets props for what he is doing with the Falcons. The same type of props should be given to

Sund for what he has done over the past year. To think, this is still work in progress.