• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

To all the crazy lawn experts...

mattlanta

I'm not a lawn expert or anything like that so forgive me if I ask something stupid. I barely even mow the lawn, but I'm taking up this 'special' interest in renovating the lawn in my front and back yard and I'm just asking for some advice. I'm doing these for my parents because my brother who usually has to mow the lawn is working more often now and he's probably going to move out soon. So I'm just looking to help my parents out and do a better job at it than my brother was. It's not a competition... it's just that when I do something, I want to do it my way and the way I want to go with here is to make the lawn looking like the best in the neighborhood. lol

So anyways, I don't know where to start... I just need tips and tricks and if you guys have any methods or products that you think I should use please tell me about it. I have one of those lawn mowers that you have to push, not one of those cool ones that you can ride. The lawn in my front yard isn't bad, but I noticed when I mowed the lawn yesterday that the land was uneven and there were often mounds of dirt in random places so it was kinda hard to mow that part lol. My dog shits in the front yard, is that good or bad? I always thought his poop was good for the grass as a fertilizer, but like I said... I'm not too good with this kind of stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not a lawn expert or anything like that so forgive me if I ask something stupid. I barely even mow the lawn, but I'm taking up this 'special' interest in renovating the lawn in my front and back yard and I'm just asking for some advice. I'm doing these for my parents because my brother who usually has to mow the lawn is working more often now and he's probably going to move out soon. So I'm just looking to help my parents out and do a better job at it than my brother was. It's not a competition... it's just that when I do something, I want to do it my way and the way I want to go with here is to make the lawn looking like the best in the neighborhood. lol

So anyways, I don't know where to start... I just need tips and tricks and if you guys have any methods or products that you think I should use please tell me about it. I have one of those lawn mowers that you have to push, not one of those cool ones that you can ride. The lawn in my front yard isn't bad, but I noticed when I mowed the lawn yesterday that the land was uneven and there were often mounds of dirt in random places so it was kinda hard to mow that part lol. My dog shits in the front yard, is that good or bad? I always thought his poop was good for the grass as a fertilizer, but like I said... I'm not too good with this kind of stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

First of all, you have to decide what kid of grass to put down. Do you happen to know what kind of grass is currently there? My favorit is bermuda grass, but I like St. Augustine and Zoiga as well. St. Augustine forms nice runners that will spread through the yard very well.

As far as products go, I really like Scotts Turf Builder. It will really green up and thicken up your grass.

If yo wanted to even out your yard, you could always bring in sand to fill the lower areas.

If you want some good one on one advise, then talk to your county agent. They can tell you everything you need to do and when is the best time to do it.

• Like 1

First of all, you have to decide what kid of grass to put down. Do you happen to know what kind of grass is currently there? My favorit is bermuda grass, but I like St. Augustine and Zoiga as well. St. Augustine forms nice runners that will spread through the yard very well.

As far as products go, I really like Scotts Turf Builder. It will really green up and thicken up your grass.

If yo wanted to even out your yard, you could always bring in sand to fill the lower areas.

If you want some good one on one advise, then talk to your county agent. They can tell you everything you need to do and when is the best time to do it.

I got a question also. At the beginning of the year, my grass was perfect. No weeds and very green. Now it is overgrown with crabgrass. It is everywhere. In the spring, I had put down some Scotts crabgrass preventer, but now I would say my yard is 70% weed and 30% grass. Do you have any advice?

I got a question also. At the beginning of the year, my grass was perfect. No weeds and very green. Now it is overgrown with crabgrass. It is everywhere. In the spring, I had put down some Scotts crabgrass preventer, but now I would say my yard is 70% weed and 30% grass. Do you have any advice?

Concrete it in and make a basketball court out of it?

Seriously though in my experience you have to stay on top of your yard throughout the year with stuff like the turf builder, crabgrass preventer, weed & feed, etc. Check this link on the Scotts website about how to prevent/kill crabgrass in your lawn: http://www.scotts.com/smg/solve/solution/solutionArticle.jsp?detailId=800012&subNavId=200004&navId=200002&parentId=100015

I've got that stuff in my back yard, and I haven't found anything that will get rid of it yet. The only suggestion that I have is to maybe put the crab grass killer/peventer down when there is dew still on the ground. If the grass is a little damp, the stuff will stick to the leaves better.