• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Five burning questions facing Hawks

DrReality

Five burning questions facing HawksBy Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Hawks open training camp Tuesday with expectations soaring and plenty of lingering questions about just how good this team might be this season. Even with the core group from back-to-back playoff teams returning, there are issues that must be resolved. Five burning questions for the Hawks in the 2009-10 season.

.1. Did the Hawks do enough this summer to maintain a spot in the top four of the Eastern Conference?

The Hawks' most glaring deficiency from last season was on display as their playoff run ended in a four-game sweep at the hands of Cleveland in the Eastern Conference semifinals. LeBron James and the Cavaliers' backcourt were simply too much for an injury-plagued Hawks team that had to survive a seven-game series against Miami in the first round.

Significant injuries to three starters — Joe Johnson, Al Horford and Marvin Williams — would be impossible to overcome for most teams, but it was specifically crippling for the Hawks because they've always used a playing rotation in the single digits under Mike Woodson.

The additions of Jamal Crawford (via trade) and Jeff Teague (19th pick in the draft) certainly help strengthen depth in the backcourt, as they replace two guards (Speedy Claxton and Acie Law IV) who weren’t in the playing rotation last season.

Up front, veterans Joe Smith and Jason Collins were added in free agency. They provide the size and experience the Hawks need behind Josh Smith, Horford and Zaza Pachulia.

"I've got 10 or 11 guys I know I can trust out there with a game on the line," Woodson said. "That makes all the difference in the world from a coaching standpoint because hopefully now we won't get caught in the situation we were in during that Cleveland series when guys are hurt and we don't have an answer for it. Adding Crawford, Teague, Smith and Collins would surely be able to step in if, heaven forbid, someone goes down, and they can hold the line."

2. The Hawks' three best perimeter players all need quality minutes at the same two positions. So how do they get Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford and Mike Bibby into a healthy rotation, along with rookie Jeff Teague, at point guard and shooting guard?

A suppression of egos will be crucial, and a carefully devised minute-sharing system is necessary. Since Crawford and Teague are new to the mix, training camp is their time to carve out their respective niches. Crawford insists that won't be a problem.

"They already have great chemistry, and I don’t want to mess that up," he said. "I'm probably going to shock some people with my passing. I love to be the set-up man, so I can work in whatever capacity coach needs me to. What I do know is that you can have all the talent in the world, but if the chemistry isn’t right, you won't go anywhere. I've lived through that before in New York. So we have to come in and blend right to help get it done."

That might include some shuffling of responsibilities, including Johnson moving from shooting guard to small forward so Woodson can deploy essentially a three-guard attack at times. "I have some combinations now that I can play with," he said. "However I decide to go will be based on who's giving us what we need on a given night and how all these guys are playing."

3. Cleveland added Shaq, Boston Rasheed Wallace and Orlando Brandon Bass. The Hawks grabbed Joe Smith and Jason Collins. Is this a case of quantity over quality?

Absolutely. It was necessary for the Hawks to find the right fit.

Joe Smith slides into a reserve role behind Josh Smith at power forward while Collins provides insurance behind Horford and Pachulia.

"The experience really matters," Pachulia said. "Both of those guys have the playoff experience that really counts. I played with Joe in Milwaukee, and I learned so much from him in that one year. He does all the little things, on and off the floor, that every team needs. Sometimes the little things are the key to the bigger things."

A six-man frontcourt rotation is what any playoff team has to have, Woodson said. The Hawks finally have a legitimate group. "We know four of those guys will occupy the bulk of the minutes," he said. "The other two have to be ready to play when called upon. You just have to be ready."

4. Minutes were an issue for the Hawks last season for everybody from Johnson to Horford. The starters played too many during the regular season, and it showed during the playoffs. What's the remedy?

Woodson's has to expand his rotation and keep his starters minutes down from the start of training camp until mid-April. All five starters averaged more than 33.5 minutes per game last season, with Johnson topping the list and at 39.5 he ranked second in the NBA to Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala. No one should be in that neighborhood this season.

"I don’t have to burn guys," Woodson acknowledged. "Last year, yeah, I burnt guys. I have to try and play Joe differently this year. I look at the Lakers and what they did by getting Ron Artest, and all I can think is that Kobe is going to be a beast this year because he won't have to guard the other team's best player this year. Artest can handle that. Somehow I have to relieve Joe of having to guard point guards. And in that regard hopefully we'll be able to shrink not only his minutes but everybody's minutes and make sure they remain productive and they don't lose anything."

5. This is the best shooting team the Hawks have had in Woodson's tenure. Does that mean they'll finally play the up-tempo style that has been promised the past five years?

It's no coincidence that the Hawks' playoff fortunes the past two seasons rose along with their collective 3-point shooting percentage. But they're proficient from more than long distance these days, with quality shooters all over the floor, which is the key to being able to play at a faster pace, according to Woodson.

"What it does is give you ability to attack from all angles once you get a defensive stop and push the ball up the floor," Woodson said. "You have shooters all around. All these guys can make shots. It makes you feel good about pushing the ball because the guy with the ball in his hands has so many options."

Horford is certain the Hawks will be at their best when they are attacking from all angles.

"If we do it right and we're knocking down our shots, teams won't be able to just key on one guy," he said. "They'll have to defend the entire floor and that will free us up to find the best mismatch on each and every possession and take advantage of it."

Edited by DrReality

Unless Jamal Crawford commits to playing better defense, how can Woodsen not afford to have Joe Johnson guarding PointGuards? Teague probably won't play alot of minutes so than leaves Joe, Bibby & Jamal.

Training camp may indicate but pre-season will tell lots about Teague. My reports say the guy is the one. Also, Dixon came to get a contract. He is a hardnosed vet that may have strengthen his Defense.

It shall be interesting.