• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why This Year Could Be So Special For Hawks Fans

sillent

As far as the big 3 I wouldn't be surprised if we are the new Magic of last year in the Eastern Conference.Two major impacts on our team(Woody and JJ) have contract years which will not only motivate them but the rest of our team to do what they can to keep them here.We have the most stable core and should only get/be better(Crawford is here as a backup instead of a major impact player and with Bibby and Crawford, Teague isn't forced to perform).We have vet additions that can give some needed knowledge/push in the right direction to our young bigs and contribute a little their selves. We are still under the radar although most of the league may know better by now. Whether you agree or not that we have players with defensive capabilities all in all we are a defensive minded team(Defense does win Championships).

The Celtics big 3/4 are old and it's going to be hard for them to stay at a high level without coming across injuries. Which is a catch 22(Either play at a high level or try to turn it on later when it counts which isn't easy even for vets going against stiff competition). Rondo will have to become the new motor and Garnett will have to reserve his role a little. Their young guys will be the X Factor in giving the vets some rest/support during the regular season.

The Cleveland newbies can create chemistry issues. Even though I will admit Lebron has a high basketball IQ and could probably mesh with anybody(he knows how to highlight strengths and cover up weaknesses of his own and teammates). But inside toughness may not have been the only thing the Magic exposed them of and we have to see how their new additions and others perform in the clutch.

If the Magic being so unorthodox last year was their key to getting them so far than the swap could be an issue. Vince Carter is still a baller but he can't create the mismatch issues that Hedo and Rashard caused. He may be able to be a X factor in other facets but it is still a mystery how well it would work out especially with them being a little less under the radar.

The teams that were below us last year like Raptors/Washington although improved still have to worry about chemistry issues/defense. With the Heat it's hard to count Wade out and Beasley/Chalmers/Oneal barring no serious injuries should all come back better than last year. Quentin Richardson also adds another shooter along with James Jones and this team could be dangerous if you sleep on them. Bulls will be better with another year under their belt and coming off of a similar high that we had last year(except Boston was no where near the same team without Garnett).Losing a player like Gordon could also be costly when it counts.

76ers/Bobcats are my sleeper picks(only calling them sleepers because many are counting them out) that I'm sure at least one if not both are going to the playoffs and could be very dangerous once they get there. Pistons are a question mark but have the talent offensively(It's just that that has not been their style in recent years at least not without having great defense to match).

Nets/Pacers could be surprise teams but I don't see them making the playoffs. Knicks/Bucks will surprise if they stay close to any of these teams.

If we make it to the ECF expecting to fare well instead of hoping/wishing than we could be the surprise victors(No team that is as deep as us is coming back with their same core except for the Celtics and I think we would welcome a rematch).

As far as the Western Conference goes Lakers, Nuggets and Spurs are elite with the Blazers being our counterparts(Although some hold them in a higher status than us hopefully this year that won't be the case).The Mavericks squad is deep(all vets that should gel but may not be enough to put them over the top). Jazz may go only as far as Deron Williams can take them and Boozer being an old (we've seen the Jazz with Boozer before) wildcard. How much better will they get with Ronnie Brewer being one of the only players that could make major improvements? Hornets may be in the same boat as last year being a top tier team but not the top team. Suns may step back into playoffs but probably want have to big of an impact.

The Thunder/Grizzilies are my sleeper picks. The Grizzlies reminded me of us a few years back before they got Iverson/Thabeet (Young and very talented with Zach Randolph playing Al Harrington's role). Thunder built their team almost like we did ours by disassembling their old team and building through the draft. If my boy McGrady comes back in raw form don't sleep on the Rockets either (they compete every night) . The Clippers are a question mark? This team is still loaded(Baron Davis,Eric Gordon, Al Thorton, Blake Griffin, Marcus Camby, Chris "The Caveman" Kaman) but until they break their curse or pass it to the Lakers I do not know how to judge this team.

The Timberwolves although do have talent should still be among the top of the bottom with Warriors and Kings.

Again the weak West teams should boost the top teams records this year while the East is actually the better conference all around.

The Finals prediction could once again be the Cavaliers vs Lakers with any of the top 3 Eastern teams actually being able to swap in this prediction. Again if all goes right for us we can be the Magic's last year. It can also get all topsy turvy with the Nuggets and Spurs involved or we could even be facing our counterparts the Blazers!!

I definitely want to see how we fare against the Lakers(If that last home game was any indication of Woody knowing how to shutdown Phil's strategy). I mean, Woody was with the same Pistons team that won the Championship that year and was known as the defensive strategist(Defense was definitely their biggest boast that season)!! Artest is definitely an X factor but so is Crawford. If Roy(another Seattle bred player) is tough for Artest to cover I'm sure Crawford will be just as much in our system and paired with Joe Johnson.

Of course many factors come to play(midseason trades, breakout seasons,injuries,key matchups, allstars/superstars, etc.) but just some wishful thinking that might not be all that far fetched (At least as of now) !!

Edited by sillent
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I think the Finals should be a realistic goal for this team. While maybe not likely there isn't a team in the East that I'm afraid of. I don't know that we will finish 4th necesarily but I think 5-8 in the East will be much better than last year and the 'big 3' will look beatable. I think you'll see chemistry problems in Cleveland and Boston. If we face Boston in the playoffs I think we can beat them down physically. I think the loss of Hedo in Orlando is a problem for them but I fear Howard. Cleveland is good but until they get Scottie Pippen they are beatable. Right now they have Jordan and Cartwright (ok Shaq's a little bigger and better).