• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why am I not convinced of the Celtics "greatness"?

Plainview1981

I know they got a top 5 team, but I have this gut feeling they will have an early exit in the playoffs this year. Ray Allens play in the playoffs has become very erratic and the team is only getting older. I know they got Sheed, but all he can do now is jack up 3's at a low percentage. I'm not impressed with him right now despite the winning streak they have had. It feels like they're pulling out a lot of squeakers that were routs a few years ago. I would usually give them the benefit of the doubt, but I got a big feeling that people arent going to get the Lakers/Celtics rematch that they're expecting. Anyone else agree?

• Moderators

I'm expecting more of a Lakers/Magic rematch unless the Celts can prove otherwise.

The things I'm holding out for are:

* Whether it's WYSIWYG with Rondo's offense, or will he pick up more of the scoring leadership.

* What they'll get out of Big Baby once he returns (Can Shelden go back to being a third/fourth option)

* Will they need more than Big Baby and Shelden for rebounding (generally near the bottom of the league, which is OK as long as shots are falling)

* Health of the Three Amigos plus Sheed come April

~lw3

Well, they seem worse than last year because, as we all remember, last year they had best start in NBA history. They were 27-2 last year.

But personally, I think this year's team is lot better than last year's. Sheed>>>MIkki Moore, Danies >>> Tony Allen.

Last year I think Doc screwed up badly when he got carried away with that long winning streak. He played Pierce almost 37 minutes in december, and 41 minutes per game in february. Allen was playing 37 and KG 33.

Come playoff time, they were either hurt or incredibly tired.

This year Doc has learned the Spurs lesson: regular season doesn't matter. The big three are playing the least amount of minutes in a decade. And while a reduction of 2 or 3 minutes per game may not seem like much, it means that they are playing the equivalent to 3 or 4 fewer games in the course of the season.

And even with all the rest they are getting, the celtics are still the first seed and still have the greatest average margin of victory and best defense...

Well, they seem worse than last year because, as we all remember, last year they had best start in NBA history. They were 27-2 last year.

But personally, I think this year's team is lot better than last year's. Sheed>>>MIkki Moore, Danies >>> Tony Allen.

Last year I think Doc screwed up badly when he got carried away with that long winning streak. He played Pierce almost 37 minutes in december, and 41 minutes per game in february. Allen was playing 37 and KG 33.

Come playoff time, they were either hurt or incredibly tired.

This year Doc has learned the Spurs lesson: regular season doesn't matter. The big three are playing the least amount of minutes in a decade. And while a reduction of 2 or 3 minutes per game may not seem like much, it means that they are playing the equivalent to 3 or 4 fewer games in the course of the season.

And even with all the rest they are getting, the celtics are still the first seed and still have the greatest average margin of victory and best defense...

But Sheed has played fairly poorly..... He is only shooting 39% this season and even less in 3ptrs. Unless he turns into Robert Horry in the playoffs I don't think he will be the difference maker people think he is. One thing to take note of is that they're getting outrebounded this year.

Ray Allen is playing only about 1MPG less this year, but his numbers are good, but going downward.

Last year he shot 48%FG and 41% in 3's and he averaged 18.2PPG.... This year he is shooting 45% along with 36% in 3's and is averaging 15.5PPG. Ray might be playing a minute less per game, but his shooting is still dipping.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

But Sheed is not supposed to be the difference maker. He is supposed to be good enough to give the team 20 minutes a game so garnett isn't dead. Same thing for Daniels.

The difference makers for this celtics team are supposed to be pierce and garnett healthy and relatively rested come playoff time. The rest is less important. pierce played 34 minutes in yesterday's loss to the sixers.

But Sheed is not supposed to be the difference maker. He is supposed to be good enough to give the team 20 minutes a game so garnett isn't dead. Same thing for Daniels.

The difference makers for this celtics team are supposed to be pierce and garnett healthy and relatively rested come playoff time. The rest is less important. pierce played 34 minutes in yesterday's loss to the sixers.

When the games get though in the playoffs I don't think it's going to make as huge of a difference as people make. The age factor will still be there, The big 3 still aren't as good as they were 2 years ago. If one of the big three was out 10 or 20 game or something and comes back fresh... Well, I can see that making a big difference. But KG is only playing 1 1/2MPG less than he did 2 years ago. He hasn't logged heavy regular season minutes since he has been with Boston anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=261

One thing is that PP and Allen will be more rested because they had to carry KG's load when he missed those games last year. So those two probably will be more fresher than they were in the playoffs last year.. Paul's minutes were higher last year because KG missed games. PP's minutes this season are on par to where they were 2 years ago. I don't think Sheed makes a major difference now. If there is a difference it's rather small. for a team that plays a slow pace, Sheed's poor shot selection is nearly as likely to hurt them as anything. We all get made when Josh Smith takes three's in the Hawks uptempo offense.... Sheed jacks up low percentage 3's on a team that's goal is to value each possession. Sheed will need to restrain himself and hit 3's to really add a big benefit to Boston IMO.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

As bad as Sheed has been, there is absolutely no doubt that he is much, much better, specially on the defensive end, than Mikki Moore (avg. 4 fouls a game in 16 minutes last year) and Brian Scalabrine.

You are just looking at his fg%, but the fact is that Sheed was brought in for defense, and he has been outstanding on defense.

What makes Boston great, is that they're a scary defensive team. What they did against Orlando yesterday, without Pierce, was impressive.

bingo, you got it. boston is forreal. They are the best in the East. Magic is a close 2nd and we're 3rd. Boston's defense is what makes them better than anyone else in the Eastern Conference and maybe even the Lakers. And watch out for the Cavs too..they are playing better ball now and are rolling..i dont wanna face Cavs or Magic(because of Dwight Howard) in the playoffs..gimme Boston first but still they are the best team..we just happen to match up well with them. Hawks would have to play Collins against Magic in a 7 game series IMO. Either way our worst matchup is the Magic

as a celtics fan, the only thing that makes me nervous regarding this team is that teams that coast a lot can have a hard time "turning it on" when it matters. Still, I hope and think that Doc is a good enough motivator that when things get serious they will bunk down and play well.

The second quarters against the cavs and the magic this season were some of the most dominating basketball I've ever seen. The problem is playing with that kind of intensity for a whole game when you havent done it the whole season.