• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bibby's uncle passes

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

(link)

Former major league pitcher Jim Bibby has died. He was 65.

Community Funeral Home in Lynchburg said Wednesday that Bibby died Tuesday night at Lynchburg General Hospital. The cause was not disclosed. The family asked for privacy but said a statement would be released later.

Bibby played 12 years in the majors and pitched the first no-hitter in Texas Rangers history, beating Oakland 6-0 in 1973. He was a member of the Pittsburgh team that won the 1979 World Series, starting two games against Baltimore— including the deciding seventh game.

He also played for St. Louis and Cleveland during his major league years from 1972 to 1984.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124257/index.htm (1981 SI article on the Bibby brothers back when Mike was 2 years old)

~lw3

Rest in Peace. Wow - that's actually a pretty impressive major league career he had. I've always been a Cardinals fan but I can't remember him exactly (maybe he ended his career with the Cards after I left for the navy and didn't follow the team as close). Condolences to MBibby and family.

Cool quote from the article:

"Jim's the only guy I've ever known who has to have two plates in front of him," says Fred. "One for meat, one for greens."

Edited by DJlaysitup