• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson Returning to Lineup Tonight

MrRyda

By Ken Segiura

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks guard Joe Johnson will return to the lineup Friday night after missing the past three games with a sprained right thumb.

Johnson practiced with the team Friday morning at the team's shootaround at Philips Arena in preparation for the game against Toronto. His thumb was heavily taped.

"It's alright," Johnson said of his thumb, which he injured last week in the team's win over the Los Angeles Lakers. "It's not where I really want it to be. It's still sore, but that soreness is going to be there for quite some time. Just trying to help the team reach one of our goals, that's trying to solidify the third spot."

With four games remaining, the Hawks are tied with Boston for the No. 3 seed in the Eastern Conference at 48-29. The Hawks need to finish ahead of the Celtics in order to take the third spot, as Boston owns the tiebreaker by virtue of being a division champion.

Without Johnson in the lineup, the Hawks went 1-2, beating Detroit last Saturday to run their home winning streak to 10, but then losing to Charlotte Tuesday and Detroit Wednesday, which ran their road losing streak to six games.

Johnson, a four-time All-Star, was hopeful his return would be a boost to a team that has lost three of its last four after beating the Lakers.

Johnson said he wanted to "definitely just try to pick the guys up. Me coming back, I think there'll be a lot more energy from us as a team and (as a result of) us playing at home."

Coach Mike Woodson also said that backup center Jason Collins will miss the remainder of the regular season as a result of a foot injury sustained before Wednesday's game at Detroit.

In a related story, Chris Bosh will not play tonight. Even so, this won't be a cakewalk as the Raps are fighting for their playoff lives.

I hope he does not have to play many minutes. Its so easy to aggrevate a bad thumb or finger.

Co-sign. Since we HAVE to finish a game better than the Celtics and have no cushion, I can see why he is trying to come back. However, I dont think we will win the 3rd seed anyway. We need JJ for the playoffs, so I hope he doesnt play much. They aren't playing with Bosh tonight, but Detroit was missing half their team...

Co-sign. Since we HAVE to finish a game better than the Celtics and have no cushion, I can see why he is trying to come back. However, I dont think we will win the 3rd seed anyway. We need JJ for the playoffs, so I hope he doesnt play much. They aren't playing with Bosh tonight, but Detroit was missing half their team...

28 minutes for JJ tonight. You like?

Not bad. I would prefer something like 25...but 3 minutes is no biggie. I just didn't want to see 30+. That would be asinine.

34 tonight though...but he is probably feeling better...and we really, really needed this win. So I'm not going to pick a fight with Woody too much on this one.