• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Ceiling

HawkRock1123

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's my thing - we've peaked with Woody as our HC and JJ as our "main guy". Both have done a good job, but this may just be a situation where the combination of Woody/JJ/Atlanta Hawks has hit its ceiling. Are we worse next year without JJ? Of course we are! But, if we sign JJ to a big contract, doesn't it seem like we'll never get any better than we are right now?

I, for one, would rather keep our 2 younger stars (JJ and Horford) and concede the fact that it's going to be rough waters for at least a season or two, and give Sund a chance to make this team better through better draft positions or free agency cap space.

Then again - we did win 50 games this year. If we keep JJ, and he at least maintains his current level of play, don't Horf and JJ improve which makes us a better team? I think it's a tough decision (I know - I'm wavering).

I'll take solace in this - Rick Sund had a good offseason last year. He drafted Jeff Teague (good for our draft position), and he got us Jamal Crawford for virtually nothing. So far, it seems like we only have reasons to think that he is a good GM.

Edited by HawkRock1123

• Moderators

Faith's a pretty strong word for his case. I'm thrilled with how Jamal's deal turned out, but can't imagine there weren't better strategies out there last summer than the Bibby and Marvin re-signings as well as the Joe Smith free agent deal. After getting Lawson snatched from our grasp, it appears Collison and Maynor would have been better long-term options than Teague for the Hawks offense, unless there is a major overhaul. So I'll hold off on "In Sund We Trust" statements until we see what moves he puts together this summer.

~lw3