• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zaza's Eno Closed

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

From food critic Besha Rodell @ the Loaf, May 10th blog entry. Sorry I never got to go. Hopefully, Besha's suspicions are right and Zaza will bring up a new concept (please, Gawd, not another "gourmet" burger joint!!!):

A trusted source tells me that Eno by Zaza in Midtown has closed. According to the source, Eno’s last night was Saturday, and the staff was informed after service was over that the restaurant would not reopen this week. I have not been able to confirm with the restaurant — no one is answering Eno’s phone, but because they are closed on Mondays, that’s to be expected.

Eno was bought last summer by Hawks player Zaza Pachulia. Before then, it had been owned by Doug Strickland since its opening in 1999. Last year, the restaurant got some national attention when then-chef Eli Kirshtein made a good run on Bravo’s “Top Chef.” Kirshtein left Eno soon after the season aired and has been in New York City for the past few months.

Rumors about the fate of the space are already flying, with speculation that Pachulia will reopen with a new concept, and talk that one of the investors in Athens’ 5 and 10 restaurant is interested in opening something in that location, although Hugh Acheson is not thought to be involved.

We’ll keep you posted as we learn more.

Eno's former Executive Chef weighed in w/ his comments:

I am the Former Executive Chef of Eno and It is closed. I can only speculate as to why. Experience was a factor for sure. Lost Identity. MISCOMMUNICATION.etc etc. Well its all in the past now i feel sorry for ZAZA, he thought he could put his name on the door and the place would be packed. Unfortunaly In The restaurant business it is a cruel world. It just goes to show you a good spot with good atmosphere and good food isn’t all you need to be successful.

One last dig, from an anonymous "Edward":

Makes sense. The Hawks packed it in this week – Eno might as well too.

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/omnivore/2010/05/10/eno-by-zaza-closed/

~lw3

• Moderators

From Atlanta Magazine (5/19 blog) (I always love the use of the word "star" for non-stars in non-sports articles):

Hawks star to make over Midtown's Eno by Zaza as 5th Street Cafe

Less than a year after purchasing Midtown Mediterranean eatery Eno, Atlanta Hawks star Zaza Pachulia and his team are re-launching the restaurant at 5th and Peachtree Street.

In early June, the 5th Street Cafe will debut in the space.

After working so successfully with ADI Restaurant Concepts partners A.D. Allushi and chef Ian Winslade as they ready the new Buckhead Bottle Bar (set to open in the old Peachtree Cafe space on East Paces Ferry Road as early as next week), Pachulia has also enlisted the pair to reimagine the Eno space with the help of interior designer Patti Krohngold.

"For some diners, Eno could be very pretentious, a place for wine snobs," Allushi told us. "We're listening to the neighbors who love having us here but wanted something more relaxed. Our goal is to make the 5th Street Cafe a more typical French cafe with a fun atmosphere and a strong neighborhood vibe."

The popular Midtown address has long been a favorite for Fox theater-goers as a pre-show or after-show destination.

Pals Pachulia and Allushi became friends following Hawks games at Philips Arena when the player would meet friends at Thrive nightspot on Marietta Street across the street where Allushi worked as general manager.

Adds Pachulia: "While Eno had a great run, we feel it's time to mix it up a bit and really bring some new energy to one of the best restaurant locations in the city."

~lw3