• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Of Mike's and Men......

Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan are not compared to Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem or Bill Russell.

Kevin Garnett did not find himself thrust into a mold to be the next Barkley, Karl Malone, Kevin McHale.

John Wall won't be asked to measure up to Oscar, Magic, Havlicek, or Stockton.

But, if you are an athletic swingman you are immediately cast into a the mold of his airness. And like a physically challenged Spartan infant cast into a pile others who didn't quite measure up. Why is this? Why can't Kobe be Kobe. Why can't Wade be Wade? I don't get this amongst the media and even fans.

• Moderators

None of those guys (not even Wilt or Russell i don't think) were setup to be THE superstar of the league, the greatest of all time. I think the nba delibrately road that and ever since there has been this desire from the league and some casual fans to have that superstar that does amazing, highlight reel things that the public can pay attention to. That would be Kobe except his sex troubles ruined is rep with casual fans. Shaq and Dwight are great and all but they are only successful because they are huge. Folks want someone who's talent surpasses everyone else's. The league seems entrenched in the superstar mentality despite some evidence that people would prefer good competitive basketball (works in football, works for the ncaa).